Should Gambhir be included in the squad?

With the retirement of Ganguly and Sachin rather emminent, with Dravid not too far behind, would it be a good idea to groom Gambhir as one down in the tests? or should be save Kartick for that position as he is probably going to be our most valuable batsmen with the exception of yuvraj? since the south african tour, i envisioned this batting line up: Sehwag/Jaffer Gambhir Kartick Yuvraj Dravid (assuming he is still around) Dhoni

How can you guys rate Gambhir , who isnt eve in the team ahead of Jaffer , who has made three centuries in our last three series and Sehwag , who has been India's best test opener in the last 18 years. Beats me totally !

mm' date=' You would include [i']anyone ahead of Sehwag as things stand. VS has not made 200 runs in his last 10 Test innings.
I agree with your point Donny. I am not pitching for Sehwag's selection in the next test series India plays. The topic was for for a future India batting line-up and I am amazed to see people give precedence to Gambhir ( who is not even in the team) over Jaffer ( who is established himself with some consistent perfrormances ) and Sehwag ( who is a proven performer in the international level)

No. At (approaching) 29, he still has time to come back. International and Indian cricket would be better off with this livewire batsman playing ....... IF ..... he can get his head down and learn better defensive skills so he can still be at the wicket to punish anything loose - as he used to do better than most openers in world Test cricket. Opposing captains/teams simply worked him out. Pack the offside, set a point and third man on the fence and feed him balls to hit. Even Steve Waugh was a dasher when he first reached the top level - but he was dropped and came back a complete Test batsman. You can say the same for Hayden, Ponting, Langer etc.

Hmmm... Excellent point about Sehwag's defensive technique. If he stays at the wicket , he could put any bowling attack to sword , but the main problem as you have indicated is - He isnt staying the wicket long enough. What is more dis-heartening to see is , 5-6 years into his international career , he still makes the same mistakes me made when he was inexperienced. You would like to think , as an experienced batsman , he would have evolved a lot more than he has. Frankly , i feel Dinesh Karthik constructs an innings better than Sehwag.