India may retain same bowling attack

King

India may retain same bowling attack DURBAN, DEC 20 (PTI) Indian coach Greg Chappell has indicated that paceman Munaf Patel might not be considered for the second cricket Test against South Africa as the team would like to field the same bowling attack that earned them the historic victory at the Wanderers. "We're hopeful (about Munaf's fitness). Munaf is now bowling again. He bowled for the second or third time yesterday and getting better by the day. We will be in a better position to know what his fitness is closer to the event," Chappell said. "I was quite happy with our attack in this game (Wanderers) and we do have to go in with that same attack, I am not going to be too disappointed. If Munaf is fit and ready, he would certainly come in under the series consideration," he said about the second Test at Kingsmead on December 26. Chappell said the Haryana seamer's fitness would be closely assessed in the practice game and would not be risked by rushing him back into the team. "We can get him to ball two or three spells in the practice game and that would give us a much better idea. But as I commented earlier about managing these guys, if there is the slightest doubt when we get to Kingsmead, we'll make sure that whenever he next plays, he'll be a 100 per cent fit. He's too important to us in the medium to long term to risk short term benefit," he said. Asked if he was concerned about out-of-form openers, the former Australian captain said he was hopeful that the extra bounce here might suit Virendra Sehwag's batting style. "We've been through this situation before and most teams have gone through it. Viru was not in great shape before we got to Saint Lucia, he did fine there. The extra bounce at Kingsmead might suit him," he said. "Look, at any given moment, there are concerns about the state of the team, the group, individuals within the group. I do not want to talk about the individuals as this is not the right place. But yes, we're concerned about a number of issues. We'd like everyone to get runs or get wickets all the time but that doesn't happen unfortunately," . Chappell also said that the Indian team was in better shape after taking 1-0 lead in the three-match series to take on the hosts. "We're in a better state to be able to deal with Durban now than we were three weeks ago when we were there last. "Yeah and better physical state, we've had a bit more time to adjust to the conditions and I think we've demonstrated on this test match that we have an attack that can use those conditions," he said. "So I think the South Africans will be a little bit more aware of what we can bring to the table as well and that might change their approach to Durban," he added.

Re: India may retain same bowling attack I don't quite like this idea of Chappell deciding the team bowling attack still with so much time on hand prior 2nd test. I thought Chappell is not the only one to have a say on the selection matters :hic: This interview comes off like he has already decided on the team composition. What about the captain's say in this one? :shrug:

Re: India may retain same bowling attack

"I was quite happy with our attack in this game (Wanderers) and we do have to go in with that same attack, I am not going to be too disappointed."
I dont know how this statement can be interpreted as Chappell saying India may go in with the same attack. All he is saying is he wont be disappointed if thats how things turn out. :roll: