The Lion's Den "The KINGS XI PUNJAB thread"

Sir john

ABOUT THE LOGO

The new logo reflects the qualities of the team and its fans. The new Kings XI Punjab is all about winning, a determination reflecting in every aspect of the franchiseÃÔ new logo. The shield signifies the strength of character and fortitude of the conqueror - the qualities entrenched in each player of KXIP. Commenting on the launch, Col. Arvinder Singh, COO, Kings XI Punjab, said, ŵhis new look logo is more vibrant, contemporary and user friendly. It embodies the essence of the ethos that Kings XI Punjab stands for. Like the lions in the logo, the team will fight a fierce battle and prove to be the Kings of the IPL jungle. TheKJHPH band in the logo represents Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal, Punjab and Haryana and symbolises the effervescent and resilient spirit of the people of these regions. Last but not the least, the Kings XI Punjab in the centre represents the XI players who will take the field by storm in true Punjabi style and emerge as winners with a positive and enterprising attitude.
:two_thumbs_up:

KXIP the king of heart will play a charity game today.....

Kings XI Punjab will officially kickoff their campaign of introducing the team to the city fans and cricket players in a function at PCA Stadium on Monday. The players led by skipper Adam Gilchrist will also take part in a charity match with oprhan kids. “A lot of these kids have not seen cricket grounds in their life. We would be making some of the best international players like Adam Gilchrist play with some of the kids and as a player, they understand their social responsibility towards the society. Adam has been to Chandigarh a lot of times and he understands the city better,” shared the official. The match will also mark the start to the franchise's much-hyped campaign for the fifth season of the IPL.

Paul Valthaty was an unknown entity until A Wednesday (April 13) last year when he took Indian captain Mahendra Singh DhoniÃÔ Chennai Super Kings bowlers to the cleaners during an Indian Premier League match in Mohali. The diminutive but effective hard-hitter scored a whirlwind 120 not out off 63 balls with 19 fours and two sixes en route to a six-wicket victory for Kings XI Punjab, chasing down a mammoth 189-run target with almost an over to spare. Valthaty became an instant superstar. Å*ast yearÃÔ IPL changed my whole life. Suddenly, I became a household name and people wanted to know everything about my personal life. It was a crazy period but I think I handled it quite well, said the 28-year-old, who fits the destinyÃÔ child tag to the tee. A shoulder injury in early 2001 hurt his chances of wearing the lion-crested Mumbai Ranji Trophy cap and thereafter a freak eye injury during the 2002 U-19 World Cup in New Zealand forced him to return home mid-way through the tournament. After a few years of obscurity, a contract with Kings XI Punjab beckoned and since then the Air-India employee has only soared. Valthaty credited most of his IPL 2011 success to his coach cum captain Adam Gilchrist of Australia. Ū owe a lot of my IPL glory to skipper Adam. Opening the batting with Adam has been one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. He is very supportive while at the crease and keeps helping me out by offering tips on different aspects like my strokeplay or a bowlerÃÔ line and length or the field placements etc. HeÃÔ a total team man and a great leader. His commitment to the team can be judged from the fact that though we begin training here only tomorrow, heÃÔ already landed here over four days back, explained Valthaty, who took home a swanky new sedan after winning last yearÃÔ Individual Performance Award of IPL IV. A lot has transpired since and Valthaty has soaked in all the mixed feelings. Å¢ lot was said about me when I moved over to play for Himachal Pradesh (in the plate division). But I moved State purely because I felt that I would get better chances to play there. However, unfortunately I suffered a wrist injury in October and had to miss out on a couple of Plate Division matches and around four one-dayers. But the experience of playing away from home has kept me in good stead though. Now, IÃÎ fit and raring to go, said the Borivli resident. Team goals matter more to the all-rounder than his individual show. Å*ast year we missed making it to the play-offs by just one match. Had we won the match against Deccan Chargers, we would have been through to the knockout stage and from there itÃÔ anyoneÃÔ game. So, this time round, our priority will be to make that play-offs stage. IÃÎ working hard on my bowling too with (newly-appointed India bowling coach) Joe Dawes. IÃÎ trying to work out some good variations which is a must in the T20 format, said Valthaty, who is more that willing to live up to his reputation of being one of the big hitters of the IPL. ŵhere are bigger hitters than me in the IPL, but I realise that the pressure will definitely be on me since IÃ×e done well last year, and IÃÎ ready for it. I wonÃÕ change the way I play and will approach my batting in the same fashion strokes and all and hope to have the same results, he signed off. Valthaty in 2011 IPL: Matches: 14 Runs: 463 Average: 35.61 SR: 137 HS: 120* 4s: 55 6s: 20

The Truth...bring on those spin friendly teams to our house At the age of 40, Adam Gilchrist is one of the elderly statesmen in the Indian Premier League this season. However, instead of slowing down, the gritty Aussie has taken more responsibility upon himself as he prepares to both coach and lead the Kings XI Punjab this year. The former Australian wicketkeeper-opener sounded really excited about his new role as he began training with his KXIP unit in Chandigarh on Tuesday. Ū am looking forward to a new role this year. I donÃÕ think there will be any sort of extra pressure on me because we have a very strong coaching unit to back me up. Vikram (Rathore) and Joe (Dawes) are very experienced and it will be good to have physio Patrick Farhart back with us, Gilchrist told TOI on Tuesday. Gilly, who gave up all forms of international cricket five years back, still doesnÃÕ miss a trick when it comes to preparing for the IPL. Ÿe are all professional cricketers playing in this tournament. I donÃÕ think getting ourselves prepared for the tournament is an issue for us. I hit the gym a few weeks back to get into shape and have also been batting in the nets for some time now. I have played enough cricket in the sub-continent, so hitting top form in the IPL should not be an issue, he said. Kings XI missed out on a play-off berth last season but had the chance of making the top 4 till their very last game. A loss to Deccan Chargers had dashed the hopes of GillyÃÔ team then. ŵhe kind of build-up we had to the last season was not beneficial for anyone. We werenÃÕ even sure if we were going to be part of IPL-4. Considering that we still came to within a game of reaching the play-offs, was a brilliant effort by the team. This year weÃÃl look to build on those gains and challenge for the play-off berth again, he said. The skipper-cum-coach believes the strength of the Kings XI lies in their Indian all-rounders. Ÿe have a very good bunch of all-rounders with the likes of Abhishek Nayar, Piyush Chawla and Bipul Sharma. If you add Azhar Mahmood and EnglandÃÔ Stuart Broad to this list, it shows the great depth we have. The pace attack is also very strong with Australians Ryan Harris and James Faulkner leading the way. Their contributions will be very useful if tracks at Mohali and Dharamshala provide some help to the fast bowlers, Gilchrist said. The West Australian southpaw, who scored 383 runs with a century and two fifties last season, believes the ace-in-the-pack will once again be Shaun Marsh. The left-handed opener has been struggling with loss of form but the Australian has a special liking for the IPL. In spite of being rather off colour last year, he still managed to tally 504 runs at an average of 42 and strike-rate of 146. ŵhere is no doubt that Marsh is an outstanding player. He is a very important cog in our team. Although he has had a tough time with the Australian team, I am sure he will find his rhythm in IPL soon, he said.