'I learned to retain my self-belief' - Ajinkya Rahane

Texan

The selectors are playing a game other than cricket with this talented cricketer's career! After the selection announcement, there was talk about Sehwag not playing, about Gambhir not vice-captain, about why Tendulkar was playing, but nobody questioned why Rahane wasn't picked. In 11 ODIs so far, Rahane has done nothing to justify this sort of treatment. As a comparison, here are some stats for the stats-fanatics: After 11 matches..... Rahane averages 30.90 At the same stage in their careers, Tendulkar averaged 23.50 Sehwag averaged 13.62 :omg: I don't understand why Shrikkanth and the rest of the jokers are treating Rahane this way

The selectors are playing a game other than cricket with this talented cricketer's career! After the selection announcement, there was talk about Sehwag not playing, about Gambhir not vice-captain, about why Tendulkar was playing, but nobody questioned why Rahane wasn't picked. In 11 ODIs so far, Rahane has done nothing to justify this sort of treatment. As a comparison, here are some stats for the stats-fanatics: After 11 matches..... Rahane averages 30.90 At the same stage in their careers, Tendulkar averaged 23.50 Sehwag averaged 13.62 :omg: I don't understand why Shrikkanth and the rest of the jokers are treating Rahane this way
:hysterical::hysterical: Welcome to post-modern-modern era. Looks like Sachin-who has already started. Serves the bhaktjans rights I say. I fully expect the satsang to live in denial and come out saying - No Sachin was NOT given a long rope, he was the masiha we all saught...and who is Rahane anyway? Atleast he is Marathi or else the regional card would be out in full swing too. But yes Rahane deserves a chance.
His turn will come, just has to be patient..You cannot include everyone. He is opener and if Tendulkar and Gambhir are there I don't see him playing in the XI
And what if one of these guys gets injured. Whose gonna open the innings? This selection was pretty stupid...we don't have a spare opener or a Wicket Keeper.
Actually the numbers are a bit deceiving. Tendulkar used to bat at 5 or 6 when he came in and he started of in an era without power-plays and when scores of 240-250 were winning totals most of the time. SRT definitely deserved a longer rope as he was one of the best young batsmen at the time. Sehwag's case is slightly different. Sehwag was dropped from the team for more than 2 years after he played 1 or 2 games, and when he made his comeback after 2 years on the sideline he hit a match-winning half-century against Aussies, and anyone could see the talent he was. So it's unfair to say rahane is the only one singled out when clearly Sehwag went through tough times as well. And one more thing - Rahane is more suited to pitches in SA, Eng or Aus where the winning score is closer to 250 than in sub-continental conditions where you need to score in access of 300 to win the match. Rahane' game (just like Pujara's) is simply not suited to quick scoring in subcontinent where likes of Raina and Yusuf will add more value. I am sure selectors had the same thought in mind and when India travels outside the sub-continent for odis or play tests anywhere (home or away), Rahane will be in contention. TBH I would have preferred Rahane in Aus in place of SRT as he could play his natural game instead of trying to score of every ball as he will be forced to in subcontinent. But I would prefer he is given a long run in the Tests first and once he has established himself in Tests he's eased into the odis. I am apprehensive that he may go the Murali Vijay way if he's forced into the shorter format instead of being given chances in Tests.

I agree, we should have been bold dropped Shitwag for the whole test series and we would have seen Rahane shine imo. His figures so far have included a tour in England batting in very difficult conditions and he looked one of our best batsman especially in the first 2 ODI's and even at Lords we was unlucky.

I agree' date=' we should have been bold dropped Shitwag for the whole test series and we would have seen Rahane shine imo. His figures so far have included a tour in England batting in very difficult conditions and he looked one of our best batsman especially in the first 2 ODI's and even at Lords we was unlucky.[/quote'] So you would give Rahane a chance in the "TEST" series against Aussies rather than "Seh"wag? And you think he would shine? He did well in England..he would have done well in the ODIs in Australia but even he would 've failed in that TEST series.
So you would give Rahane a chance in the "TEST" series against Aussies rather than "Seh"wag? And you think he would shine? He did well in England..he would have done well in the ODIs in Australia but even he would 've failed in that TEST series.
How do you know? Would he have done any worse than Shitwag? And he is one for the future so would have been valuable experience for him.
So you would give Rahane a chance in the "TEST" series against Aussies rather than "Seh"wag? And you think he would shine? He did well in England..he would have done well in the ODIs in Australia but even he would 've failed in that TEST series.
Stupid thing to say, I seriously doubt our batting would have gone any lower. And was Kohli not the best batsmen outta of Sachin, Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman?? Rahane and Mukund should have both been opening. But if one of Gambhir or Sehwag had to play, then Mukund should have definitely played. Selectors have cocked up big time over the last 12 months.
Do you even understand meaning of sample size? After 1st Test Innings Ganguly had better average then Bradman, tell me who is greater batsman. This use of statsguru reminds me of one proverb, bander ke haanth mein ustara
The batting line-up of Gambhir, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Dhoni has failed across EIGHT consecutive away Tests. In no other country would such serial under performance be tolerated. How much worse was Rahane going to do than these losers, exactly? Even if he failed, at least he could have learned a lot for his next tour outside the subcontinent, unlike these losers, especially Sehwag, who is a total embarrassment away from Asia.
Uthappa has more average than rahane as opener in 13 odi around 34.00 with strike rate of 103 under dravid captaincy.But dhoni ruined his career by playing him at no 3' date='6,7[/color']
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: