Haramison retires from ODIs

Sooda

after being dropped from the ODI series is Aus England will not miss him. And his test form may well benefit Im surprised Yardys not there- hes ok. ------------------------------------ Harmison retires from one-dayers England bowler Steve Harmison has announced his retirement from one-day internationals three months before the start of the World Cup. Harmison, 28, was left out of the 16-man squad to take on Australia and New Zealand next month. Michael Vaughan will return from injury, while spinner Monty Panesar is in line to make his one-day debut. Leicestershire wicket-keeper Paul Nixon, 36, is back-up to Chris Read with Geraint Jones left out. The Commonwealth Bank Series, which begins on 12 January, is the last one-day tournament before the World Cup in the Caribbean. England will name a one-day captain once the Ashes Test series is over, with Vaughan and Andrew Flintoff to contenders. Chairman of selectors David Graveney said: "Michael Vaughan has been included in the one-day squad subject to fitness. "He has made excellent progress with his recovery from injury. "But we feel that it would not be appropriate to announce the captaincy of the one-day side at this stage and will delay any announcement until after the Test series." Vaughan has not played at the top level for England since the third Test against Pakistan in Lahore 13 months ago and has since undergone surgery twice on his right knee. Harmison, who has played 46 ODIs since 2002, has struggled to replicate his Test form in 50-over cricket. "After careful consideration, I have decided to retire from one-day international cricket with immediate effect," he said. "This has been a difficult decision but I want to play at the highest level for as long as I can. "I believe that concentrating solely on Test cricket is the best way forward for me during the next phase of what will hopefully be a long England career." Monty Panesar's experience of one-day cricket is limited but he has shown that he is comfortable on the international stage Besides Harmison, Rikki Clarke and Michael Yardy are the other squad members from October's ICC Champions Trophy in India to be omitted. Tremlett's inclusion means there is no place for Stuart Broad, who was widely expected to be called into the squad. Panesar has been rewarded for an impressive Ashes Test debut, when he took eight wickets in Perth. "Chris Tremlett has made great progress this winter - he impressed the Academy management during their training camp in Perth," Graveney explained. "We believe he has the physical attributes required to be a real threat on Australian pitches in this one-day series. "Monty Panesar's experience of one-day cricket is limited but he has shown that he is comfortable on the international stage. "We view his selection as a bold, attacking move which will strengthen our ability to take wickets." Nixon will be part of an England squad for the first time since England toured Sri Lanka under Nasser Hussain in 2000-01. "Marcus Trescothick has acted as reserve wicket-keeper on previous tours but, as he is unavailable, we have decided to include two wicket-keepers in this squad," Graveney added. "Paul has been very successful with Leicestershire in one-day cricket and he will compete for the wicket-keeping position with Chris Read." England squad: J Anderson, I Bell, P Collingwood, J Dalrymple, A Flintoff, E Joyce, J Lewis, S Mahmood, P Nixon, M Panesar, K Pietersen, L Plunkett, C Read, A Strauss, C Tremlett, M Vaughan.

Re: Haramison retires from ODIs Retired from ODI cricket at the age of 28 :huh: What's the point really? His test form is not obviously affected by his ODI bowling. Maybe he thinks he is playing far too much cricket perhaps? Shouldn't you be playing most between 25-30? This is a very lame retirement call. :shrug: