Zaheer reveals England's 'insulting' tactics

King

India's pace bowling sensation Zaheer Khan on Monday revealed why he got upset while batting and walked towards Kevin Pietersen and pointed his bat at him on Day 3 of the second Test at Trent Bridge. More... Zaheer reveals England's 'insulting' tactics Harish Kotian in Nottingham July 31, 2007 01:48 IST India's pace bowling sensation Zaheer Khan [Images] on Monday revealed why he got upset while batting and walked towards Kevin Pietersen [Images] and pointed his bat at him on Day 3 of the second Test at Trent Bridge. Describing England's [Images] behaviour as "insulting", Zaheer said jelly beans, a type of confectionery, were thrown at him the moment he arrived at the crease on Sunday, as India sat comfortably in the driver's seat on their way to 483 all out in the first innings in reply to England's score of 198. "There was some incident that happened on the field while I was batting. On the crease there were some jelly beans; while I was batting I just tucked one off the wicket. So when I played the next ball again some jelly beans were there on the wicket so, obviously, someone was throwing them from behind on the wicket, which I didn't liked. "So I went up to and said to them, 'Guys what is this all about? I am here to play cricket', and so they came up to me. I was upset about it and I reacted accordingly," he said in Nottingham on Monday. India are on the verge of victory in this match, having reached 10 for no loss, chasing a target of 73. And it is Zaheer who is responsible for the position the team is in. He took five wickets in the second innings for a match tally of 9 wickets for 134 runs. During his knock in the first innings, Zaheer exchanged a few words with the England fielders before walking up to Pietersen with his bat. "I didn't know exactly from where it [jelly beans] were coming. Maybe I picked the wrong one [player] but I was just not bothered at that time, because I felt it was insulting. I wasn't sure from where it was coming but, definitely, it came from a fielder, because if it was placed unknowingly then it shouldn't have come again when I removed it. It came there again which I didn't like," Zaheer added. The 28-year-old dismissed theories that England could have done it just for fun. "We are here to play cricket; that's what we are looking forward to do in the whole series. When I go there on the cricket field I am serious. I am there to play cricket, to play good cricket, nice, hard quality cricket. This is Test match cricket we are playing here and I don't see it any other way," he said. Meanwhile, England batsman Paul Collingwood [Images] brushed off the entire incident and even made a joke of it, saying: "Zaheer obviously came in and wasn't too pleased. Maybe he prefers the blue ones than the pink ones, to be honest with you. "You are always going to enjoy aggression when two teams want to win so much. You are always going to enjoy competition in the middle as long as it doesn't go overboard. This is certainly not anything new; it has been going for years," the England ODI captain added. At the end of the day, England's unfair sporting tactics became clear but it didn't impact the result in anyway. India were the better team throughout the match and deserve to warp it up on the fifth day and take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series, which has one match to go. Of course, England sure must be frustrated after missing out on winning the first Test at Lord's because of rain. But, then, in cricket not everything goes the way you want it to.

Zaheer bowled like a true champion. I am reminded of Dhondy's article which he wrote after Sachin had scored that 93 against South Africa. In that , Dhondy had mentioned that every champion needs some amount of anger to bring out the best in him. How prophetic those words seem now !

Wonder why anyone would wnat to throw jellybeans at zk? Don't they know who they messing with? Well u know the saying u need to kill a few patients to be a good doctor well i guess you need to show them where you stand to be a cricketer(and have a jellybean fight!)

Another slack effort from Rediff. Can't they afford a proofreader ? A stupid, childish and possibly dangerous prank by whoever did this and poor form from Vaughan and Collingwood. Also not the best course of action by Zaheer. He should simply have refused to face the next ball with the foreign objects still on the wicket.

Zaheer went straight at KP and KP looked a bit shaken. In fact KP suggested ZK was having a go at him wrongly and it wasn't him throwing jelly beans. Prior refused to name who did it. KP copped a fair bit when he came out to batting yesterday.

Another slack effort from Rediff. Can't they afford a proofreader ? A stupid, childish and possibly dangerous prank by whoever did this and poor form from Vaughan and Collingwood. Also not the best course of action by Zaheer. He should simply have refused to face the next ball with the foreign objects still on the wicket.
Poor form from Vaughan??? He batted really well and put in a lot of hard work.
Sure, when they do it, its a prank. If it was in sub-con, it would have been labeled as harassment

I think they are trying to borrow a page out of the Steve Waugh's Manual on how to mentally disintegrate your opposition... small pranks that agitate a player but the rest brush it aside as a joke followed by endless chatter and the occassional racially charged remark and soon most rookies and tailenders lose their concentration and err in their stroke. the commentators on bbc were reading the rule book on what is behavior not in the spirit of the game, and while zaheer's action were certainly deemed as unacceptable, a clause prior to the one that found zaheer guilty quite clearly stated that any verbal or physical agitation from the fielding side is just as unethical and unbecoming. i think they ought to revoke that bit about switching off the stump mic between delieveries. if these highly paid professionals are going to indulge in such juvenille behavior, let the world know of their antics. personally, i think zaheer might have picked on the wrong guy, KP, apart from Cook might be the only true gentleman in the english side.

Poor form from Vaughan??? He batted really well and put in a lot of hard work.
Has nothing to do with his batting. This article/topic is about the throwing of jelly beans at a batsman and on to the wicket. Vaughan is the captain and responsible for the behaviour of his team.
poor form from Vaughan and Collingwood.
Has nothing to do with his batting. This article/topic is about the throwing of jelly beans at a batsman and on to the wicket. Vaughan is the captain and responsible for the behaviour of his team.
You said poor form from Vaughan and Collingwood. Collingwood isn't a captain. BTW Vaughan wasn't in charge of the team when that happened, Strauss was the stand in captain. Come one confess, you didn't check the scorecard before you said that. :wink_smile:
No problem mate. I wasn't aware of that. Although I did think Colly was the vice captain (I've never claimed to be perfect :wink_smile:), my reference to him was because of his reported comments in that article.
I knew you thought Colly was the vice captain. I was trying to be jest. I'm sure you saw my smiley :regular_smile: