Aussie friend of mine.......

:hysterical: There are so many holes in using the DL system for tests, I don't know where to start. Simple question: So how would this sytem work exactly ? On a daily basis ? Only for the 4th innings ? How How ? :P

:hysterical: There are so many holes in using the DL system for tests, I don't know where to start. Simple question: So how would this sytem work exactly ? On a daily basis ? Only for the 4th innings ? How How ? :P
forget the system. Suppose we had a 100% fair system or close(for argument's sake) would u want a draw as a possible outcome, or would you want each test to have a winner and a loser?
About 18 months ago i came up with this system which would make sure that teams aren't robbed of a certain win. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- e.g if team A has team B 7 down with x numbers of overs to go and then it starts to rain! Should the team be awarded a win if x > 30? x has to be the # of overs left on the final day! System will factor in a draw! It will only apply if team A is agonizingly close to a win, meaning 5 or less wickets to take with loads of overs to go! So if team B is 5 or less down, then the system won’t apply, but if a team is say 6 down then the following method can be used to determine the result. (Average of the first 6 wickets)*4* 1.3 Let’s assume PAK is playing SL So e.g. if PAK have played 60 overs and are 6 down, then 10*1.3*4= 52 overs! So if SL have 52 overs or more to bowl at the Pakistanis then SL will be declared winners!, if its anything less than 52 then the game will be a draw! similar system can used if a team is agonzingly close while chasing a score. That figure of “1.3†in the above equation is definitely debatable and could be changed! The main purpose of this system is so that the teams are "robbed" of a win! the system wont apply if PAK is less than 140 runs(once again a random #) from the target.

So, basically you are saying that these rules should only be applied on the final day ? I can see where you're going with this, but it's not totally fair. For example, if it had rained during the second day and had washed out play shouldn't that be factored in as well ? Devising such a system for Test matches, which involve 4 innings as opposed to just 2, and doesn't have any over limits per inning, exponentially increases the complexity of an algorithm which is "fair and balanced"

was insisting that DL method should be introduced into test matches too....:hysterical: what say...:haha:
as a dutiful and concerned friend, you ought to hold an intervention for him and then accompany him to the closest rehabilitation center for ganja addicts...
About 18 months ago i came up with this system which would make sure that teams aren't robbed of a certain win. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- e.g if team A has team B 7 down with x numbers of overs to go and then it starts to rain! Should the team be awarded a win if x > 30? x has to be the # of overs left on the final day! System will factor in a draw! It will only apply if team A is agonizingly close to a win, meaning 5 or less wickets to take with loads of overs to go! So if team B is 5 or less down, then the system won’t apply, but if a team is say 6 down then the following method can be used to determine the result. (Average of the first 6 wickets)*4* 1.3 Let’s assume PAK is playing SL So e.g. if PAK have played 60 overs and are 6 down, then 10*1.3*4= 52 overs! So if SL have 52 overs or more to bowl at the Pakistanis then SL will be declared winners!, if its anything less than 52 then the game will be a draw! similar system can used if a team is agonzingly close while chasing a score. That figure of “1.3†in the above equation is definitely debatable and could be changed! The main purpose of this system is so that the teams are "robbed" of a win! the system wont apply if PAK is less than 140 runs(once again a random #) from the target.
are you also planning to consider that most test matches head towards a draw due to the weather due to a lack of time, and its not the time that determines play, nor the number of overs played in the whole day but its the visibility criteria. so if say pakistan is playing sri lanka from your example and they need 52 overs to bowl out sri lanka as recommended by the DL method, and they have an over rate of say 13 overs an hour, they would need atleast 4 more hours of play to finish those 52 overs. and who is to say that four hours later visibility would have been good enough to sustain the whole 52 hours. i think this whole idea of weather and test matches ought to be left alone. and i say this inspite the fact that a majority of times its us, india at the receiving end.