Sanju baba gets 6 years

Gambit

Sanjay Dutt sentenced to 6 years in prison The Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act court on Tuesday sentenced Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt [Images] to six years in prison for his role in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case. Dutt will be sent to prison straight from the court, which is located inside the Arthur Road jail premises in central Mumbai. He was fined Rs 25,000. TADA Judge Pramod Dattaram Kode does not have the power to grant Dutt bail under the Criminal Procedure Code. Dutt's bail will stand cancelled, lawyer Majid Menon said. His lawyers said they would appeal against the judgment in the Supreme Court on Tuesday afternoon. Judge Kode pronounced Dutt an offender and said he was present at a dinner party attended by fugitive gangster Dawood Ibrahim, the main accused in the 1993 blasts case. The judge said Dutt had committed a series of offences and that he was mature when he committed these offences. He added that Dutt had made co-accused Yusuf Nalwala commit an offence as well. Dutt was almost in tears when the judge pronounced the verdict. He asked if he could call his daughter Trishala, who lives in New York. The judge asked Dutt "Where is she?" "In New York," replied Dutt. "Be patient," the judge told Dutt. "Can you grant me bail?" Dutt then asked the judge. "If it was a lesser crime I could, but in this case I don't have the power to do so," the judge said. Dutt then requested the judge not to have the police surround him and take him away to jail. The judge then said, "OK, we will give you time till post-lunch." Another co-accused Russi Mulla, who helped destroy the firearms Dutt acquired from the underworld, was given a suspended sentence of one year, in view of his advanced age and behaviour under the Offenders of Probation Act. He was fined Rs 1 lakh. Dutt spent 16 months in prison as an undertrial in the 1993 blasts case.
http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/jul/31verdict4.htm Good to see he wasn't let off. Now rot in jail you idiot.

He was given an AK-47 by a thug called Abu Salem(the guy who got arrested in Portugal recently). Sanju, being a rather naive idiot, thought it would be cool to have an AK-47 and promptly agreed to keep it for them. All this for just before/during the Mumbai riots(1993). Abu Salem and his band of cowards were involved in the bombings and Dutt knew a few of them personally.

He was given an AK-47 by a thug called Abu Salem(the guy who got arrested in Portugal recently). Sanju' date=' being a rather naive idiot, thought it would be cool to have an AK-47 and promptly agreed to keep it for them. All this for just before/during the Mumbai riots(1993). Abu Salem and his band of cowards were involved in the bombings and Dutt knew a few of them personally.[/quote'] Yea, I read about the AK-47 bit somwhere. Other than knowing them, dining with them and buying fire-arms from them, was he involved in any planning, funding or execution of the blasts? Did he know about the blasts in advance?

Other than knowing them, dining with them and buying fire-arms from them, was he involved in any planning, funding or execution of the blasts? Did he know about the blasts in advance?
That is anyone's guess. Officially, he was cleared of terrorism and involvement in the blasts in an earlier judgment.

Justice is done finally. He should have been sentenced long back, but his lawyers and influential bollywood bandwagon were able to drag it repeatedly. I guess, he finally might resort to appealing the newly elected President-- who is a maid-servant of Sonia Manio. All of us know that Dutt family has strong roots in Congress and Soniajii.

Yea, I read about the AK-47 bit somwhere. Other than knowing them, dining with them and buying fire-arms from them, was he involved in any planning, funding or execution of the blasts? Did he know about the blasts in advance?
Keeping AK-47 and encouraging others to keep it is not a fun....although he may or may not be having any criminal intention---only he knows. Punishment should be same whether you are an influencial actor-politician family member or a kashmiri Terrorist!

Keeping AK-47 and encouraging others to keep it is not a fun....although he may or may not be having any criminal intention---only he knows. Punishment should be same whether you are an influencial actor-politician family member or a kashmiri Terrorist!
Yea, I know the story about keeping illegal firearms. The news item says he was sentenced for his "role in the 1993 blast". I am trying to understand what his role was. To me, being involved in something like the 93 blasts and collecting one or more AK-47s are two different levels of crimes.

Yea' date=' I know the story about keeping illegal firearms. [b']The news item says he was sentenced for his "role in the 1993 blast". I am trying to understand what his role was. To me, being involved in something like the 93 blasts and collecting one or more AK-47s are two different levels of crimes.
That is another gem from intelligent reporters of our country....media has been thriving with well informed journalists likle these. Read below news report instead -- although this news source is also as "credible" as other lots, but they have reported it correctly this time ---
MUMBAI: Actor Sanjay Dutt was on Tuesday sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for six years for illegal possession of weapons that were given to him by associates of gangster Dawood Ibrahim ahead of the 1993 serial blasts. Dutt, who spent 16 months in prison after his arrest in April 1993 and was free on bail, was also fined Rs 25,000 by the special TADA court of Judge P D Kode. The court rejected Dutt's application seeking exemption from a prison term under the Probation of Offenders (POA) Act. Dutt, who was seated in the back of the court when the sentence was announced, was visibly shocked as the judge gave the reasoning for his decision not to grant him relief under the POA Act. After pronouncing the sentence, the court cancelled the bail granted to Dutt and told police to take him into custody. Dutt was convicted in November last year under the Arms Act for the illegal possession of a 9mm pistol and an AK-56 rifle but was acquitted of more serious terrorism charges under the stringent TADA law. Initially, the court granted Dutt's associate Rusi Mulla benefit under the POA Act but then announced that the actor and two others would not be eligible to get relief under the same law. The court observed that Dutt had not merely committed a criminal act but also told three others to commit criminal acts on his behalf. After a court clerk read out the sentence, Dutt was seen chatting with fellow convicts and friends Yusuf Nulwalla and Kersi Adajania. Commenting upon affidavits filed by public personalities like actor Dilip Kumar in support of Dutt, Judge Kode said these are of no use if there exists material which says that the actor has indulged in a criminal act. Dismissing the defence's argument that the weapons were acquired by Dutt for self-defence, Kode said such an acquisition cannot be called "noble", is contrary to the law and indicates scant respect for the law. "I must say for every citizen, laws of the nation shall be respected. If you don't, I don't expect you to be called a moral person," Kode said. Kode also observed it was an "eminently dangerous act" as the weapon possessed by Dutt was capable of mass destruction though the accused had not used the weapons. Dutt acquired the weapons to "protect" his family in the aftermath of sectarian violence that erupted in Mumbai following the demolition of the Babri mosque in late 1992. Kode said the character of the accused is very important while considering if they deserved relief under the POA Act. He pointed out that apart from possessing the weapons, Dutt was a close acquaintance of Anees Ibrahim and attended a party hosted by Dawood Ibrahim in Dubai. Regarding the nature of the crime, Kode said generally, crime happens at the hands of any one man but Dutt drew another person to commit a crime which showed "high element of criminality." Kode, however, said the crimes committed by Dutt and his friends Adajania and Nulwalla were not "anti-social, ghastly, inhuman, immoral or pre-planned" and did not cause any harm to the general public. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sanjay_Dutt_gets_six_years_RI/articleshow/2246619.cms

and Lo! he can appeal in Supreme Court....so after a few days, business will be as usual I guess. Good, in one way, because a lot of bollywood money is on sanju baba's acting and we can get some more masterpieces like "Munnabhai" series. :tounge_smile:

and Lo! he can appeal in Supreme Court....so after a few days, business will be as usual I guess. Good, in one way, because a lot of bollywood money is on sanju baba's acting and we can get some more masterpieces like "Munnabhai" series. :tounge_smile:
don think he will be able to get out that easily his sentence may be reduced..thats:thumbs_down: but will be surprised if he goes scot free..

Guest dada_rocks

Just three months back, the actor was acquitted on terrorism and conspiracy charges in the same case. Interestingly, while Dutt was absolved on terrorism and conspiracy charges, his accomplices were found guilty under the TADA. Manzoor, who had carried the gun from Dutt's bungalow, was found guilty under the TADA. Zaibunissa Kazi was convicted under TADA for concealing the consignment. So first this guy gets showered with illogical leneinecy when TADA was dropped now we are being told he si saint and should walk free altogether. Had he not been Sanjay Dutt he would have been rightly under TADA. How much freaking lenienecy people expect.

Ridiculous judgement. What is he charged? Of possessing illegal weapons!

Actor Sanjay Dutt was today sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for six years for illegal possession of weapons that were given to him by associates of gangster Dawood Ibrahim ahead of the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai.
Is that the best our reputed investigaive agencies, lawyers, Judiciary can come up with after a good 15 years!! To put Sanjay Dutt for possessing illegal weapons? I mean come on if he was charged with conspiracy that is one thing but keeping illegal weapons? Are we still talking about Mumbai Bomb blast here or some "lets clean up Mumbai lifestyle"? It is further interesting to see that over a 100 punishment has been dissed out, including a dozen death penalties but the leading perpetrator(read Dawood Ibrahim) has not been given a single indictment. Whats the whole point of punishing small timers when the man who masterminded went scott free? xxx