Written and spoken English

Gambit

I think in the language i am conversing in but i'd say i am pretty much equally competent in speaking and writing English. I do think in Hindi/Bengali sometimes, deliberately so that i can keep basic competency in the language up- i have very few desi friends in Vancouver and most of my friends are white people or immigrants from other part of the world- been here 7 years so i figured the only way i am keeping my bengali and hindi alive is to keep in practice by thinking in these languages sometimes.

I think in English. Used to think in Hindi when I was a bacha. Written Hindi to puri spelling mistakes se bhari hui hai abh. My Hindi answer papers used to be covered in teacher ki red ink. Written English is also cr@p as you can see :hysterical: Waise English mein ham 60 students ki class mein top ate the.

As far as i am concerned, Hindi is my second (or perhaps even third) language. Hell, the only reason i can speak it with fluency is because my parents always used it around the house and still use it when talking to me. As some of you probably know by now, I can't write for sh*t in Hindi, and even reading it is a struggle for me. Failed most of the Hindi exams i took. Kaafi mushkil lagta hai yaar, it's a tough language

arrey waah...Idhar toh seb Angrezi ke schaaalar legte hain.. Forget thinking, I can't put my thoughts in proper sentence....English is still a "Phoren" language for me. Can anyone suggest some tools to improve writing/speaking skills in English?? This thread should be for Agyanis like me.

Can anyone suggest some tools to improve writing/speaking skills in English??
start THINKING in English. That is the only way, really to be as good/nearly as good a speaker/reader of the language as its native speakers.it is hard to do at first and you will be running for the dictionary for the first few months but once it becomes a habit, you will NEVER lose good competency in that language so long as you keep thinking in that language. I got a lot of 'arrey wah ! beta hamaara Canadian ban gaya lekin bangali abhi bhi mache-bhaate-bangali ki tarah boltah hai' comments from my uncle/aunts/cousins last January when i went back to kolkata- simply because atleast one day a week, i spend the whole day thinking my thoughts in Bengali.

Arre Agyani ho aapke dushman(read Haneef!) :D
Lurker bhai It's Haram to call him Agyani...beacuse he might be an schaaalar in Allah's PURE language aka Arabic :cantstop: On a serious note-- I still have poor English compared to yours or other 'article" writers here. I read your article when India was ousted from world-cup...it was great!!:thumbs_up:

arrey waah...Idhar toh seb Angrezi ke schaaalar legte hain.. Forget thinking, I can't put my thoughts in proper sentence....English is still a "Phoren" language for me. Can anyone suggest some tools to improve writing/speaking skills in English?? This thread should be for Agyanis like me.
I'm no Shakespeare but I would suggest you start reading editorials in Indian Express and The Times(online version).

start THINKING in English. That is the only way, really to be as good/nearly as good a speaker/reader of the language as its native speakers.it is hard to do at first and you will be running for the dictionary for the first few months but once it becomes a habit, you will NEVER lose good competency in that language so long as you keep thinking in that language. I got a lot of 'arrey wah ! beta hamaara Canadian ban gaya lekin bangali abhi bhi mache-bhaate-bangali ki tarah boltah hai' comments from my uncle/aunts/cousins last January when i went back to kolkata- simply because atleast one day a week, i spend the whole day thinking my thoughts in Bengali.
That's great!! But for me, to be frank, thinking in English is something requires that kind of "Mahaul" or atmosphere like you guyz have where 24 hours you are conversing only in English since it's a phorenland But In India I can't , I have to use 'matrubhasha" . I agree, Reading books, newspapers and articles do help. Basically "average" english every graduate from India can speak, but task is the "literature' english with good phrases, idioms and similies etc. like some article writers put--- that requires some special company.

Lurker bhai It's Haram to call him Agyani...beacuse he might be an schaaalar in Allah's PURE language aka Arabic :cantstop:
:hysterical::hysterical:. UP Pundit worrying about Haraam? Do you eat Halal Paani Puri by any chance Sandtest??
On a serious note-- I still have poor English compared to yours or other 'article" writers here. I read your article when India was ousted from world-cup...it was great!!:thumbs_up:
Thanks for your kind words mate. Dont worry about English, it is not our first language so obviously it would take time. heck I once had an Allahabadi friend who for a long time thought his boss's wife name was Honey as his bobby would regularly address her "Honey I would be home soon!". :dance:

Yeah, ultimately, it is not our language so i don't care much for people who poke fun at us for incompetency...lets see their competency in Hindi is my stance. but it sure helps form better social networking if you can articulate well in the language of the nation you are dwelling in (in my case, its English & Canada respectively). My funniest moment was my Pathan friend in highschool ( he was from peshawar) who'd keep saying 'man' and 'feman' despite numerous exasperated correction attempts from the english teacher.

I always think in hindi unless it's academic stuff .There I am too handicapped to think in hindi.
I tend to think in Hindi and English but when I think of "weird" thought how come I think in English ONLY? Saala always end up saying "Yes yes and yesssss" never ever thought Haan sahi bilkool wah wah.... :bowwow:

UP Pundit worrying about Haraam? Do you eat Halal Paani Puri by any chance Sandtest??
Man, I am not a Pundit, just born in Upadhyay Khandaan, never even wear "Janeu" or the thread etc. Paani-Puri is baptized by noble citizens of Mumbai. The real name and taste belongs to uttar-pradesh, we proudly call it "Fulki" still sold in fifty paisa one piece.
Allahabadi friend who for a long time thought his boss's wife name was Honey as his bobby would regularly address her "Honey I would be home soon!".
:haha: Allahabad kehaa pahuch gaye, hum bhi toh wohee nazdeek ke hee hain

Paani-Puri is baptized by noble citizens of Mumbai. The real name and test belongs to uttar-pradesh, we proudly call it "Fulki" still sold in fifty paisa one piece.
We call it Fokcha. The polished ones call it Golgappa.
Allahabad kehaa pahuch gaye, hum bhi toh wohee nazdeek ke hee hain
Najdeek maane? Naini?

sandtest where are you? Not in Amerika?
Nahin bhai...kehaan main kehaan Amreeka! Never been to western country either. I am actually settled in Mumbai, work for Airline Industry, so travelled a lot to Gulf countries. Lekin waise main Uttar-Pradesh kaa hee hoon.