Why so many hangers-on in IPL?

The Realist

Just watching some of the IPL games and you cannot be ceased to amazed at the size of the support staff/hangers on that teams are carrying. Its a wonder that more team benches have not been broken. In all seriousness you do wonder what all these people bring to the table, I mean really how many fitness/nutrition/mental/batting/fielding/bowling/ coaches does a team that is only playing 20 overs need?... Even the village idiot that is Harsha Bhogle said as much on Cricinfo. It seems the mercenary trait extends beyond the players and to all those randoms wearing team colours at the side of the pitch doing very little. The gravy train that is the IPL it appears has many passengers.

Everyone's cashing on the gravy train. But you gotta look at it from another perspective. Most of the teams are owned by businesses or corporates and the folks sitting on the bench is akin to corporate boxes in North America. E.g., if Ambani wants to entertain someone (currey a favor or repay an old one) he gets them or their family member/friends out there.

@ op why worry brother....let small people also make money...whiose fathers what goes ? On serious note each team have more than 16/17 players and all the support staff required for a team....may be they are trying to be as professional as possibke...when things will be tight they will cut back...till that time let them enjoy

remember in the 1st IPL editoin....KKR had a gigantic group of players warming benches along with humongous support stuff for the OZ coach Buchanan who even got his lauda son a position amongst the support staff...that was pathetic to watch

Akram is making $$$ and having all the fun...I just think his coaching is so overrated..
Exactly....he simply hype some bowlers..but when same bowlers came to field you have to only see SRKs face to get result

Exactly....he simply hype some bowlers..but when same bowlers came to field you have to only see SRKs face to get result
and makes me wonder why SRK hasn't fired him yet since this guy has been with the team from season 1-2 i think? Guess he wants to keep his pakistani fans happy by having a guy like wasim around ...

and makes me wonder why SRK hasn't fired him yet since this guy has been with the team from season 1-2 i think? Guess he wants to keep his pakistani fans happy by having a guy like wasim around ...
dont forget Mashrafe '600000' mortaza.. Bowled a last over and unable to defend 20+ runs and never to seen again..

There was a time when the national cricketers were the superstars.Every one else including the richest money bag was a hanger on .They would hang around the cricket stars for a photo op. Now these money bags are the Maaliks who have bought our favourite players.Their children use them to become `mini celebs'.Their wives can squeeze them .They have to attend parties and photo ops to entertain the owners family ,friends and worse.What a fall!

There was a time when the national cricketers were the superstars.Every one else including the richest money bag was a hanger on .They would hang around the cricket stars for a photo op. Now these money bags are the Maaliks who have bought our favourite players.Their children use them to become `mini celebs'.Their wives can squeeze them .They have to attend parties and photo ops to entertain the owners family ,friends and worse.What a fall!
:blink:

:ohmy:

And the use of laptops frustrates me, how will some neat graphics help your team during the match? As at that time, it is more about motivation. And the number of unnecessarily staffs and players is very shocking. Probably a lot of politics and internal corruption( let's get more support staff/friends as the owners pay everything). A good case is the Yadav( Laloo's son) at Delhi. Probably the best team to learn from is RR as they have always reduced the number of players, staff. For example, they asked Collingwood to stay in England instead of unnecessarily traveling all over India and not getting to play. Wonder, why does not other teams do that?

Chief coach, bowling coach, fielding coach, team manager/director, physio, physical trainer, masseur What is wrong in having professionals to take care of their areas? Each of these franchises is spending 100-125 crores every year on their team, is it wrong to spend a few additional crores to ensure their players get top class support? It's like saying a mid sized company doing a business of 100-200 crores doesn't need to have HR, IT or admin teams.