Did we miss out?

kabira

I dont if we ever had bunch of talented batters in one line up. The likes of Rahul, Sachin, Saurav and Laxman. All of them have scored in all conditions. I dont when will we have such talented crop again. All of them are at fag end of their career. They were at peak of their power from 2000-2004. Did we miss out on those 4 years. We should have won more test matches, alright bowling is key, we also had Kumble. We had Srinath for some years. Atleast we could have drawn more games. Do you guys feel same way? I am not sure we will have such crop of batters in one team most of them of same age.

The Period when Dravid and Laxman were at their peak , Saurav had a bad run with the bat. And Sachin's decline started in 2001 itself. It is no surprise that our best test cricket years have coincided with these batsman being in the team . As Akash Chopra pointed out in his column, India can no longer be labeled bad travelers , having won more away tests than any other team except Australia since 2001. Our Away record would have looked outstanding if we had managed to beat Australia in 2004 or continued the form in South Africa after a great start. And our home record has remained outstanding , except the lone blemish against Australia. Unfortunately , it is our incompetent bowling that has let us down many times. With respect to one-dayers , long gone are the days when you could command a place excelling in one aspect of cricket alone. The focus has shifted to utility cricketers , with fitness and flexibility gaining precedence. Keeping that in mind ,these stars are sometimes a liability in ODIs , more than being an asset. Yes , maybe we could have done more ,but one cant fault the fab-4 for it.

Do you guys feel same way?
Take a look at all the Indian batting records; Highest totals; highesttotals.jpg 3 of the 4 highest totals in the history of Indian cricket were set by the current team Highest scores; highestscores.jpg The 5 highest individual scores in the history of Indian cricket have been recorded by members of the current team Patnerships; highestpships.jpg 3 of the 5 biggest partnerships (per wicket) in the history of Indian cricket were shared by members of the current team. If you factor in other high partnerships, ie; Dravid and Sehwag 408 at Multan or Dravid and Laxman's 303 run stand at Adelaide, you will notice that no other generation of Indian batsmen have had as many big partnerships as those in the current team. This is easily the best batting lineup India has ever produced. Let's not even bother going into ODI's - almost all those records are owned by the current generation.

assuming we are talking about TEST cricket...Ganguly was never a great bat in test cricket... he was at best an average batsman..our Azzzu was more solid and prolific than him... we should not confuse with a top ODI batsman with an average Test Batsman... as a Test Player we had only Sachin, Dravid, VVS, Kumble and sreenath... gangulys..prasads,mongias, are rets others were just filler items... Ganguly was among the Fab 4 in ODIs..not in Tests..NEVER.

I do think we missed out ... we had 2 special players and 2 players who moved from excellent to above average (Laxman and Gangs). I think they too will feel that they could have done more as a team. Now that the bowling is perking up they are declining

assuming we are talking about TEST cricket...Ganguly was never a great bat in test cricket... he was at best an average batsman..our Azzzu was more solid and prolific than him... we should not confuse with a top ODI batsman with an average Test Batsman... as a Test Player we had only Sachin, Dravid, VVS, Kumble and sreenath... gangulys..prasads,mongias, are rets others were just filler items... Ganguly was among the Fab 4 in ODIs..not in Tests..NEVER.
What a pathetic post. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with these bullsh*t tirades about Ganguly, but it's really getting more and more boring by the day. Cut it out.
predator...i have nothing personal against Ganguly..
:haha::haha::haha: That obviously explains why you keep calling him stupid names like "Gandguly" - how ingenious - and keep posting crap about him in every thread. I know you are trying to get one back at the retards on the old board who fingered themselves over him, but face facts - they have their own place, they don't lurk here anymore and i am sure as hell that they don't read your posts. It's been months since we all moved, so get over it and stop posting wind-ups.