Traders strike in bangalore over private sector's entry in fresh food market

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

How do u guys feel about this development on retail sector in India. In my expereince wherever in Bihar reliance collects agricultural produce directly from farmers , they have earned thumbs up. Unlike the middleman traders reliance has unfied consitent pricing and they collect no matter how much you produce on the same set price which inavariably is much more than what traders used to give. To make matters worse if u end up rpoducing more traders used to refuse to buy on the stated price and since items are mostly perishable as a farmer u have no option but to sell it on their terms. Someone chimed there are around four million middlemen/traders in fresh produce market and there are at least 6 to 7 hundred million farmers . To me choice is obvious.

Unlike the middleman traders reliance has unfied consitent pricing and they collect no matter how much you produce on the same set price which inavariably is much more than what traders used to give.
If that is true, then thumbs-up to private sectors...also in that case traders should be abondoned and their any nexus with babus must be destroyed before that. In UP, I have noticed that when crop is ready for harvesting prices drop suddenly, iski wajah se kisan ko uski lagat ka paisaa bhi mushkil se mil pataa hai. For example in my village in case of potato when it is harvested and you visit the market you will notice that potato is available 2 Rs/Kg for retail sale!!! Government did something like erecting Godams (cold-rooms) and preserving them to sell when there is profitable price....however this has benefitted only select rich farmers with influencial connection at Tahsil. Majority of small farmers still face the same age old problem of pricing. And this is one of the biggest reason why farmers from my area migrate to cities in search of job.