Judge Tendulkar by today's standards

But unlike a Borg, Tendulkar is looking mortality in the eye and is willing to scrap. And so if we are willing to judge him differently, we will still be able to savour his skill and let the heart skip a beat. We need to judge him as he is today, as indeed we must Ganguly, and not by the near insurmountable standards he achieved at his peak.
In other words: a) Tendulkar is not in the league of super athletes like Bjorn Borg who seemed immortal. b) Indian think tank should not treat Sachin any differently than say Ganguly. If the latter was dropped what bout the former then? Sachin is losing friends faster than I thought. Moral of the story - Sachin retire or else run the risk of "surviving" only if the fans lower their expectations. Ah how the mighty fall. xxx

Fine, don't judge him by the insurmountable standard he achieved at his peak. No matter how you look at his form over the last two seasons, he still isn't good enough to play Test cricket for India. Sehwag scored just as many runs at the same average and he was rightfully dropped. Why the double standards ?

In other words: a) Tendulkar is not in the league of super athletes like Bjorn Borg who seemed immortal. b) Indian think tank should not treat Sachin any differently than say Ganguly. If the latter was dropped what bout the former then? Sachin is losing friends faster than I thought. Moral of the story - Sachin retire or else run the risk of "surviving" only if the fans lower their expectations. Ah how the mighty fall. xxx
1. No. Borg could not fight it out when he was not playing well after his lofty standards set in his early twenties. Sachin is looking right into the eye of mortality and is willing to fight out. 2. That is Indian think tank's problem and we don't know how they treat any of their players. Sachin has still got many friends and people who like cricket are fascinated to see how Sachin is fighting it out in the middle and is still producing goods for his team. Moral of the story: Sachin will retire only when he will think that won't be producing those goods. Maidan chor kar kayar bhagte hai, bahadur nahi!:wink_smile:
1. No. Borg could not fight it out when he was not playing well after his lofty standards set in his early twenties. Sachin is looking right into the eye of mortality and is willing to fight out.
A little bit of news to me that Chandan since effectively Borg retired at the top(he was in late 20s then). He did try to make a comeback after 10 years or so but of course as most comebacks(read Michael Jordan for example) it was a bad one. SRT on the other hand did not leave at the top of his game. He has chugged and chugged along. Willing to fight out? How so? Considering in his last 7 series(excluding BD) or so he has scored at 32 or thereabouts.
2. That is Indian think tank's problem and we don't know how they treat any of their players.
The blame also lies with the fans. Lets not blame thinktank, politicians for all its ills. Harsha clearly is stating that SRT is past his best and his ardent fans, nevermind the criticis, should let go of their adulation based on what the man could deliver when he was 28. Today he is only a shadow of himself.
Sachin has still got many friends and people who like cricket are fascinated to see how Sachin is fighting it out in the middle and is still producing goods for his team.
Goods? Scoring at 32 in past 7 series overall?? Had it been anyone - Kaif, Yuvraj, Raina - they would have been dropped by now. And please don't give me an odd innings here and there. As the saying goes even the broken clock is correct twice everyday.
Moral of the story: Sachin will retire only when he will think that won't be producing those goods.
Because he knows he won't be dropped. Indian think tank are sissies when it comes to taking hard decisions. Plus of course regionalism continues to triumph. Meanwhile the little aging star will continue chanting "I love this game" and take the country for a ride. xxx
Guest dada_rocks
Judge Tendulkar by today's standards

Tendulkar is God --personified with cricket bat manifested in His hand. And God is beyond the words like judgements..:D Having said that, I am sure Tendulkar's recent performance has proved, he will stay in the team ONLY by the virtue of his "performance". And Tendulkar knows best when he has to call it a day. At the moment his performance is fully justifying place in the team....so we should stop debating about his position in the team. Many like me started watching cricket with devotion because Tendulkar avatar at the age of 16, arrived at cricket field. hail the God, may He protect us in next match with yet another century.

My cousin around ten years elder to me used to tell us stories about some litttle guy tendulkar even before he had debuted on international scene. SO I have not only followed his career but even awaited his arrival with bated breathe. Many get this kind of prodigy billing but fritter away somewhere but this guy has delivered on his promise for 18 long years ..what more people want

Lurker,

SRT on the other hand did not leave at the top of his game. He has chugged and chugged along. Willing to fight out? How so? Considering in his last 7 series(excluding BD) or so he has scored at 32 or thereabouts.
Yes. He did leave the game after much of struggle due to elbow injury. He tried a comeback soon after but it was his misfortune that he got bad shoulder within 5 months of the coming back and needed another surgery within a year of the elbow surgery. After his comeback since then, he was the second highest scorer in SA, where the series was a low scoring one and not even one Indian batsman could score 200 in that series. After that, we have this England series as another meaningful series he isn't doing too bad here too, despite one bad decision. So he isn't fighting it out? Did you expect him to be a superman to recover from the injury and start scoring like he used to do earlier.? In fact many (former players like Warne) think that he is still feeling his way back. So he isn't fighting it out?
The blame also lies with the fans. Lets not blame thinktank, politicians for all its ills. Harsha clearly is stating that SRT is past his best and his ardent fans, nevermind the criticis, should let go of their adulation based on what the man could deliver when he was 28. Today he is only a shadow of himself.
Agree. But the blame doesn't lie with the fans too. I think our think-tank works without taking the fans' or politicians' views into account. And that is the way it should be. And Harsha also says that the shadow of Sachin is also fascinating to watch! And yes. He is there because he is producing better than others.
Because he knows he won't be dropped. Indian think tank are sissies when it comes to taking hard decisions. Plus of course regionalism continues to triumph. Meanwhile the little aging star will continue chanting "I love this game" and take the country for a ride.
I'll never blame our think tank of regionalism. A BCCI selection can be blamed for that but not the selection of the XI from the given XV or XVI. And I'm sure Sachin will retire the moment he'd think that he is no good for the team anymore.
Yes. He did leave the game after much of struggle due to elbow injury. He tried a comeback soon after but it was his misfortune that he got bad shoulder within 5 months of the coming back and needed another surgery within a year of the elbow surgery. After his comeback since then, he was the second highest scorer in SA, where the series was a low scoring one and not even one Indian batsman could score 200 in that series. After that, we have this England series as another meaningful series he isn't doing too bad here too, despite one bad decision. So he isn't fighting it out? Did you expect him to be a superman to recover from the injury and start scoring like he used to do earlier.? In fact many (former players like Warne) think that he is still feeling his way back. So he isn't fighting it out?
Man o man. How many times have we been there Chandan? See Tendulkar is a highly paid PROFESSIONAL. Whether you like it or not he is paid to do a job. And yes he has sucked at it. I am not picking at hime for 1 series. I am telling you his performance in the last 7 series, about half of which would be at home. The chap has scored at 32. If thats not sucking what else is. He is sick? He is unfit. Cool. Go to the nets and get fit. International cricket is NOT the place to do rehabilitation.
Agree. But the blame doesn't lie with the fans too. I think our think-tank works without taking the fans' or politicians' views into account. And that is the way it should be. And Harsha also says that the shadow of Sachin is also fascinating to watch!
Yes the shadow of Rajesh Khanna towards mid to late 80s was also good. His movies - Sauten, Avtar etc- were big hits but make no mistake movie makers did not go running to him. I dont mind watching Sachin in Ranji trophy finals. I have no symathies for him playing International cricket and "fight" in there. Do the job or get out. Simple.
And yes. He is there because he is producing better than others.
Better than who? If in his last 7 series he has scored at 32(incidentally RD scores at 50), and others are worse than him then frankly we should chug them all in the Arabian Sea and build the team. What kind of a "great" player stays in the team after having scored at 32?
And I'm sure Sachin will retire the moment he'd think that he is no good for the team anymore.
Dont bet on it. xxx
Fine' date=' don't judge him by the insurmountable standard he achieved at his peak. No matter how you look at his form over the last two seasons, he still isn't good enough to play Test cricket for India. Sehwag scored just as many runs at the same average and he was rightfully dropped. Why the double standards ?[/quote'] Sehwag was dropped also for his poor attitude and shockingly decling fitness levels and ever increasing waist line. Sachin as ever has always been totally professional.

Sorry Lurker. I thought we were concerned with the present? So why go 7 series behind? Why not choose the last two series since his second come-back? That will be SA and England. Go ahead and please tell me who is being poor where? And Ranji Trophy finals?? For that you'll have to restructure your domestic cricket and overall cricket schedule.

Sorry Lurker. I thought we were concerned with the present? So why go 7 series behind? Why not choose the last two series since his second come-back? That will be SA and England. Go ahead and please tell me who is being poor where? And Ranji Trophy finals?? For that you'll have to restructure your domestic cricket and overall cricket schedule.
Now be prepared to be bombarded with old stats :haha:
As everyone struggled under Chappell
Hardly. Yuvraj and Dhoni scored runs for fun, as did Dravid and to a lesser extent - Laxman. Tendulkar and Sehwag were the only ones that struggled. I could care less how fat Sehwag is. Tendulkar isn't exactly in top shape either. Besides, what matters most is PERFORMANCE. I'll refer you to an older post of mine;
Sehwag in his last 11 matches dating back to the series at home vs SL (and when excluding cheap runs vs WI) has scored 534 runs @ 29.66 with 1 hundred (257 vs PAK) and 1 fifty (76* vs ENG) Tendulkar in his last 12 matches dating back to series at home vs SL (and when excluding cheap runs vs Banglastan) has ALSO scored 534 runs (!) at the EXACT same average of 29.66 ! The highlights being 1 hundred (109 vs SL) and 2 fifties in SA. Against the best opposition India have faced since last season, they have scored the same number of runs at the exact same average ! How peculiar is that ? ...now keeping that in mind, why the f*ck has only one of them been dropped ? They both have produced the exact same results, ie; they are equally worthless
Sorry Lurker. I thought we were concerned with the present? So why go 7 series behind? Why not choose the last two series since his second come-back? That will be SA and England.
Why not Chandan? When it is clearly proved beyond reasonable doubt that Sachin did not perform in his last 7 series why should I just overrule that? Would you overrule the same criteria for anyone else? Mind you I am not just picking 1 or 2 series here, I am picking the entire set of tests Sachin has played in last 2 years or thereabouts. And guess what he scores @ 32. Why should I overlook that? Unless you are telling me that Sachin got a free ride on 5 of these series and we should look at only the last 2.
And Ranji Trophy finals?? For that you'll have to restructure your domestic cricket and overall cricket schedule.
Sounds great to me. Maybe the man who "loves the game" can start contributing to it, specially towards the country that has given him everything. Maybe he can go right back to basics and learn how things are done? xxx