Sign in to follow this  
saneindian

India A to play 3 first class matches on the A tour to WI, June 2012

Why not Harbhajan Singh for India A?- Chopra Picking a team is undeniably a tricky job, yet, it is relatively straightforward too. I say 'tricky' because of the ethical and intellectual obligation that is inevitable, and straightforward because a majority of the players select themselves. The actual task of selection, at most times, is never about more than a couple of spots. When Varun Aaron was picked to debut against West Indies or when Jaydev Unadkat was chosen for the tour to South Africa, the selectors, quite obviously, weren't looking at the 'natural selections'. On an average, at least 70% of the mix are automatic choices, they ought to be there. A selector earns his money through what he does with the remaining 20-30% of the team. And that brings me to the rather bewildering selection of the squad to represent India A in the West Indies this summer. Such selections are an acid test-- they not only reveal the selectors' response to an upcoming talent, but also tell us a fair bit about their overall vision. It's a tightrope walk since selections ought to corroborate statistics, and conversely also look at the conditions they were produced in. To believe that numbers are the gospel truth would be too naý×e. And nothing would be more foolish than to ignore them completely. It's imperative to reward the performers of domestic circuit, else we run the risk of devaluing our first-class set-up almost entirely. Such selections must also make public the roadmap the selectors have drafted for the national team, for it's only natural to believe that the players who represent India A will go on to play for India too. Before we try and make sense of the India A squad, I should laud the BCCI for taking the initiative to organise the tour in the first place. I'd like to believe that it has something to do with India's poor showing in England and Australia. If that is indeed the case, the lessons are finally being learnt. Even though the West Indies isn't the best place to test the fringe players (the prevailing conditions in the Caribbean are quite similar to Indian conditions), it's indeed a step in the right direction, assuming that there'll be many such tours in the near future. Let's now go over the team sheet to get a better picture of whether the selectors have done justice to such an opportunity. Batting The openers There are four openers in the side -- Ajinkya Rahane, Abhinav Mukund, Shikhar Dhawan and Jalaj Saxena (thankfully there is no Anirudha Srikkanth, for he was in the team last time a similar squad was picked). It's only fair to assume that Rahane is earmarked as a Test opener and hence it's just to give him more opportunities at the top. It's another matter that he accumulated most of his first-class runs batting at No. 3. If Sehwag, a lower-middle order batsman, can make the grade, why can't a Rahane? Abhinav, contrary to popular opinion, is an automatic choice for the second opener. He had played Test matches for India not too long ago, albeit with little success, and continues to be one of the highest run-scorers in domestic cricket. Then comes the curious case of Dhawan. He began the previous domestic season with two centuries in the Irani Cup, but did nothing of note for the remainder of the season. He was picked for Duleep Trophy (on past performances) but didn't leave a mark there either. Is he picked only for the shorter formats of the game on the tour? If that's the case, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. But if Dhawan is in the selectors' scheme of things for Test cricket, then his selection ought be questioned. Finally, the odd selection of Saxena. He opens for his state, Madhya Pradesh, in the Ranji Trophy, drops down in the order in Duleep Trophy and, at times, plays only as an offspinner who could bat. To give credit where it's due, he has scored runs and taken wickets in the previous first-class season but if that's the criteria for selection then nobody deserves a spot more than Vineet Saxena, who happened to be the second highest run-scorer in the Ranji Trophy this season. Also, if it was there was a decision made to pick someone from Madhya Pradesh as an incentive for their good showing, TP Sudhindra, the highest wicket-taker, should have been the automatic choice. Is Jalaj Saxena an India prospect? The middle order Cheteshwar Pujara, Rohit Sharma, Manoj Tiwary and Robin Bist make up the middle order. Pujara is considered to be the most able and likely candidate to fill the void left by Rahul Dravid. He's technically and temperamentally suited for batting at No. 3 in Test cricket and hence his performances will be monitored closely. The selection of Rohit shows that he's in the running for a place in the Test side. Nothing wrong with that either. Tiwary makes the cut too, as does Bist, the only player from twice Ranji champions Rajasthan. While I don't have too many issues with the overall batting line-up, I doubt the likes of Bist will get enough opportunities. Also, wasn't this tour an ideal opportunity to test someone like Suryakumar Yadav, who did ever so well during the first-class season? If this is an attempt is to stay away from experimenting, though, I'll buy that argument. Bowling The spinners Rahul Sharma, Akshay Darekar, as well as Saxena will contribute in this department. One look at this line-up tells us that any argument of 'not experimenting' would be mere lip service. Rahul Sharma (it looks as though someone really wants him to succeed) will bowl legspin, young Maharashtra bowler Darekar who was last season's leading wicket-taker in the plate division of Ranji will bowl left-arm spin, while Saxena will provide the offspinning option. Now, if there was so much emphasis on sending the next in line for India spots on the tour in the batting department, why wasn't the same principle followed while picking the spinners? Doesn't Pragyan Ojha deserve another opportunity? Does it also mean the end of Piyush Chawla and Amit Mishra? Also, isn't there no other offspinner left in the country, forcing them to make do with part-timer Jalaj? The last time India A team went to the West Indies, VVS Laxman led the side. Why couldn't Harbhajan Singh be named in this squad? The fast bowlers The squad's fast-bowling resources make this selection even more baffling. Ashok Dinda, RP Singh, Shami Ahmed and Bhuvneshwar Kumar make up the list. Instead of talking about the ones who've made it, I'll throw light on the players who haven't. In my humble opinion, Parwinder Awana was the find of the season with his consistent performances and, more so, his consistent pace. Pankaj Singh has taken close to 100 wickets in the last two first-class seasons but continues to be ignored. If Pankaj isn't in the scheme of things, why pick him for the Central Zone? And what's happening with Abhimanyu Mithun? Mithun was with the Indian team in Australia, so shouldn't he get the nod ahead of RP Singh? While the selectors have managed to send out a clear signal about their preferences in the batting department, their choices in the bowling department leave me perplexed. It's like the cart is being pulled in four different directions. It shouldn't come as a surprise, therefore, if it doesn't really go anywhere. http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/563134.html

Awana should have been automatic selection instead considering he is the second highest wicket taker and Bhatt should have been selected too. Also Bist should be given an opportunity at #6, considering Rahane, Mukund, Pujara and Rohit makes top 4. Tiwary and Bist makes 5 and 6.

Even though the West Indies isn't the best place to test the fringe players (the prevailing conditions in the Caribbean are quite similar to Indian conditions), it's indeed a step in the right direction, assuming that there'll be many such tours in the near future.
Thank you. But for now any A team tour will do. Good points on Jalaji Saxena, baffling selection. Another problem with the selectors they are all over 50 year old moribunds. The older they are the more conservative they well get it and less creative and innovative they become.

Interesting article. Well worth reading. Only thing is dont agree with picking established players who get dropped for A tours. Bhaji we know all about and he does not need the experience. All about picking young prospects or players right on the fringe who need experience and a chance to shine. Big dissapoint is in pace dept were it seems trundlers have been picked. Why cant they pick speedsters with good prospect and have chance to get valuable experience and show what they can do

Selection of RP is as baffling as in it was in England.
Some horrible selections there. Jalaj Saxena - 248 runs@20 and 14 wickets@45 in the season gone by. Even Jadeja would have been a better choice than this parchi candidate of Sanjay Jagdale. RP Singh- 15 wickets@55. Awana deserved this spot.
rp is finished... :wall: even he knows that
RP' date=' B. Kumar are probably the worst selections on there. Wasted.[/quote']

^ Perhaps because he once was pretty good' date=' promised much. More so than other bowlers who started brightly and then faded[/quote'] That and also due to the fact that we hardly have any left arm seamers on the horizon. Once Zak goes, there is no one other than Irfan Pathan and Unadkat to look at. Anwer Ahmed from Hyderabad has started off well, but will need to do more to get an India A spot. Can't think of anyone else.

Still remember that jaffa to nail KP at Trent Bridge in 07. I was there that day' date=' him and Zak were on fire.[/quote'] He can still bowl such deliveries and swing the ball but problem is he isnt putting the hard yards. He still bowls at decent pace, but his fitness is not up to the mark.

Bhuvanshwar kumar isn't a bad choice for India A team. What do u guys think? I think he did pretty well in whatever limited opportunities he got. Bowls around 135-140s and swings the ball both ways. Is he a bad choice? time will tell.

He is still developing as a player. Only 21 years old and has got lots of time ahead of him. Such trips are good for a young all rounder like him. Can swing the new ball both ways, bowl with control with the old ball and has a very good technique as a batsman (though suspect against short stuff). May have to bulk up a little bit to sustain a pace of around 132-133 consistently. We have had the likes of Ganpathy and Jaskaran playing as an all rounder in the A side recently, Bhiuv looks to be definitely better than both of them.

But when we see a guy like Awana is not selected, then Bhuvnesh does look an odd selection. Bhuvnesh is far far away from getting a national cap right now that is why they should select guys who can claim for national team through such tours. We already have PK and VK in same mold of BK. That is why selection of Bhuvnesh and Jalaj Saxena is not up to the mark.

Awana is in the selector's radar & he'll break into the national team very soon. Selectors have sent players who have to prove themselves but Awana is a guy who has proved his worth both in FC & also in T20s.Still I think he should've been there in place of RP.

'I've learnt to take rejections' - Awana Delhi medium-pacer Parvinder Awana has said that he's learnt to take the disappointment of being sidelined by selectors in his stride. Awana had failed to make the 15-man India A squad for the Caribbean tour, which begins in Barbados on June 2. More... 'I've learnt to take rejections' - Awana ESPNcricinfo staff May 2, 2012 144938.2.jpg Parvinder Awana: "Cricketers like Adam Gilchrist and David Hussey have praised my performance [in the IPL], and that in itself is a huge boost" Delhi medium-pacer Parvinder Awana has said that he's learnt to take the disappointment of being sidelined by selectors in his stride. Awana had failed to make the 15-man India A squad for the Caribbean tour, which begins in Barbados on June 2. "I have been conditioned in such a way that I have learnt to take rejections. You don't stop working hard because you have been rejected," Awana told PTI. "I have never got anything easily in my life. Even when I have played for Delhi, I treated each match as my last opportunity." Awana, who impressed with the ball in the domestic season, said that he expected to make the cut for the tour. "Obviously, when you get 57 wickets in the domestic season, you expect a call. I was hurt initially, but this rejection has made me more determined to perform even better in the next domestic season," he said. "I haven't spoken to anyone after the news of the team selection came out. Just spoke to my folks and informed them that I haven't been selected." Awana, 25, has claimed 110 first-class wickets from 32 matches in his career at an average of 29 and has been very effective for Kings XI Punjab in the IPL so far this season. He is currently their second-highest wicket-taker, with nine wickets from the five matches he has played in. He said that his form in the IPL should have warranted a berth for the West Indies tour. "Everyone has been watching my performance in the IPL. Cricketers like Adam Gilchrist and David Hussey have praised my performance, and that in itself is a huge boost. "In one of the matches, I clocked 147kph. I have been hitting the late 130's and early 140 quite regularly, which means my rhythm has been good. Gilly [Gilchrist] told me the other day, that I am playing because I deserve to be in the side. Even David [Hussey] has been very supportive and has constantly encouraged me." Awana's wickets include the prized scalps of Royal Challengers Bangalore's Chris Gayle and Mumbai Indians' Rohit Sharma. Of the two, he said his trapping of Sharma in Mumbai was more satisfying. "The wicket of Chris Gayle would have been far more satisfying if we had won the match. I gave 17 runs in that over [in which I got] Gayle. Had I given away less than eight runs, we could have won the match," Awana said. "Dismissing Rohit in the match against Mumbai Indians was far more satisfying. My plan worked and I was able to get a dangerous Twenty20 player like him early [and Kings XI went on to win]."

Selectors can't select everyone who can hit 140+. VRV is yet to play even a 1st class game. In any case, BK is not competing with these pacers especially Awana. He is being sent as a bowling all rounder and the only competition he had was with Binny who is more of a bating all rounder. His last season stats do not look bad for an all rounder, 30 wickets@26 and 360 runs@36.

Situation changed now...unlike in old days when players can earn name and fame only by getting into national team ,now they can relax about rejections

Situation changed now...unlike in old days when players can earn name and fame only by getting into national team ' date='now they can relax about rejections[/quote'] +1

Dhawan and Raw Pace should not be in the team. The A team is about picking future test stars (and the odd established player on the road towards a comeback) and not clowns with no tailunt or future. Then you have a joker like J Saxena being picked for the wrong reasons (Hirwani). If Rahul Sharma is the answer to our spin bowling, then Indian cricket is dead.

^ With Rahul there are not too many other options, certainly not LegSpin bowlers. Unless Chawla or Mishra were re tried. Maybe Chawla could have got a go, but this is looking to the future at least. As for Dhawan , hopefully he will not play the four day games and just Ltd overs matches,as Chopra was syaing in his artilcle. I hope they make further changes toi the squad for Ltd Overs games though..they should -Rohit and Tiwary are senior ODI players now...can be replaced by maybe Uthappa and Menaria..maybe Nechim Ahmed can be drafted in

Selectors should pick up a bigger squad for the two formats,genuine pacers and not trundlers for 4 day games, Awana, Suyal, A Ahmed, A Khan for 4 day games also some batters selected shows how selectors have been operating without any long term plans and have a muddled thinking .

Dhawan and Raw Pace should not be in the team. The A team is about picking future test stars (and the odd established player on the road towards a comeback) and not clowns with no tailunt or future. Then you have a joker like J Saxena being picked for the wrong reasons (Hirwani). If Rahul Sharma is the answer to our spin bowling, then Indian cricket is dead.
I dont know what problem you see with Rahul. Same was said about Kumble when he first came. With his accuracy, bounce, and little bit of turn, he can be very successful test bowler especially in India. Don't judge him with your preconceived notions and let him play, learn, and show what he can do.

Board has asked not to talk about that to anyone. Hence I cannot tell u anything...
Wow! Top secret, this Jalaj Saxena inclusion is, no? Looks like some mission under cover! Not to talk about it to anyone...my foot!!!

Varun Aaron should have been there' date=' but sadly he hasn't played any cricket before selection due to injury.[/quote'] aaron was in indian team before injury and as he showed he hasnt lost pace.. and actually looks fitter and bowled really well..so should be back in team i guess :dontknow: but since no cricket is being played for some time now... yes i agree he could ve gone there and gained some experince

Dinda kept out to get fit for India A tour: Ganguly Once Ashok Dinda admitted he had rushed his injury rehabilitation to help revive Pune Warriors India's flagging campaign and he was a "doubtful starter" for Tuesday's Rajasthan Royals clash, it was clear the Bengal speedster had aggravated his side strain. More... Dinda kept out to get fit for India A tour: Ganguly HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times Pune, May 09, 2012 Once Ashok Dinda admitted he had rushed his injury rehabilitation to help revive Pune Warriors India's flagging campaign and he was a "doubtful starter" for Tuesday's Rajasthan Royals clash, it was clear the Bengal speedster had aggravated his side strain. Thus it didn't come as a surprise when Dinda was nowhere to be seen at the Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium during the home team's warm-up. And the Pune Warriors skipper and mentor, Sourav Ganguly, admitted Dinda was pushed in the previous two games. "We pushed him in the last two games, but he has got the India A tour ahead, and is on the fringes of the national team. So he needs to get fully fit," Ganguly said after the toss. One hopes the PWI skipper has realised the mistake of pushing a half-fit player into action and will own up if Dinda fails to recover in time for the Caribbean tour.

Dinda rues hasty return from injury Ashok Dinda, the Pune Warriors' pace spearhead, admitted that he made a premature return from the side strain he suffered midway through the tournament. More... Dinda rues hasty return from injury Amol Karhadkar, Hindustan Times Pune, May 08, 2012 Although the Indian Premier League has emerged as a money-spinning mix of cricket and entertainment, over its five seasons it has also been synonymous with cricketers either hiding injuries or rushing their return after layoffs. The first such case of IPL V was out in the open on Monday as Ashok Dinda, the Pune Warriors' pace spearhead, admitted that he made a premature return from the side strain he suffered midway through the tournament. Fitness woes "It takes a bit of time to recover from side strain. Had we kept on winning, perhaps I wouldn't have come back as early as I did. But the situation was such that I had to take the chance," Dinda, who missed five games after emerging the pick of the bowlers early on, said on Monday. "I'm not sure if I will be fit for tomorrow's (Tuesday) game." After suffering the injury in the game against the Royal Challengers in Bangalore on April 17, Dinda was nowhere close to being fit for selection for the next five games. And though he featured in their last two losing causes, including the one against the Kolkata Knight Riders in his hometown on Saturday, he did not appear fully fit. No wonder, he bowled just two overs at the Eden Gardens. Fingers crossed Considering that Dinda is already a key member of the India 'A' squad that is set to leave for the West Indies immediately after the IPL, his hasty return for his IPL franchise could result in him being sidelined for the tour that could be crucial in his comeback to international cricket, having performed consistently for Bengal and his zone in domestic tournaments. "That (India 'A') would depend on how my body shapes up. It's not really in my hand," Dinda said. "But my priority would always be international cricket." Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir postponing their injury rehab after the World Cup triumph to play last year's IPL resulted in both the batsmen missing out on most of India's international cricket in the second half of 2011. If Dinda misses out on the India 'A' tour, there is no reason for him to feel sorry. He would know exactly where to point a finger at!

Is the India â team for friends, family and zonal favours? The Indian Premier League is generally the time when IndiaÃÔ national selectors take a break. The performances, in the IPL, as they have indicated time and again donÃÕ really matter. On the other hand, what does matter are the performances of the Ranji season. So they can sleep now. But why is it that time and again, their words sound hollow; why does it seem like they sleep during the Ranji season too? On April 27, the India â team was selected. In the craziness that the IPL inspires, it was easy to miss out on the team that should help India develop a strong second string that is capable of taking over from the greats when they retire. Cheteshwar Pujara has been named captain and Wriddhiman Saha is vice-captain of a squad that also includes Abhinav Mukund, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Manoj Tiwary, Rahul Sharma, Ashok Dinda, Jalaj Saxena, R.P. Singh, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Robin Bisht, Akshay Darekar, Sami Ahmed. A look at the batting reveals that most of the young talent in the country is been given a look-in. The bowling, however, is completely another matter. Rahul SharmaÃÔ form has been patchy, Jalaj Saxena (more on him later) doesnÃÕ deserve a spot, RP Singh needs to prove himself in Ranji Trophy first and Akshay Darekar certainly isnÃÕ one of IndiaÃÔ best spinners. Ūt might have been interesting to give the likes of Varun Aaron (who is returning from injury), Harbhajan Singh or Pragyan Ojha a go at this level. You want them to play, you want them to find their best form, you want them to take tickets, said veteran cricket writer Ayaz Memon. But the two really dodgy choices are Saxena and RP. Now Saxena, who hails from Madhya Pradesh the same place as BCCI secretary Sanjay Jagdale, is supposedly an allrounder. But his numbers suggest he is neither. He bats at number eight for MP and he has a bowling average of 40.90. His batting average of 30 is decent but if that is your average in domestic cricket, expect it to fall by more than a few points in international cricket. In seven Ranji matches this season, Saxena scored 146 runs and took just 11 wickets. Is that all it takes to break into the India â team? Maybe we should all give it a go. RP Singh, we all remember his pot-belied avataar from the England tour, has lost weight and that is on display in IPL 5. But his bowling form hasnÃÕ improved. In seven Ranji games, he took only 14 wickets. For your knowledge, the leading wicket-taker TP Sudhindra, who took 40 wickets in as many matches but the selectors thought he wasnÃÕ international quality. And you have to agree, the ÃÃunch of jokers knows it all. Another thing worth remembering might be the fact that even though Rajasthan have won the Ranji Trophy two years in a row, none of their bowlers have managed to make the squad. So how exactly can the selectors explain these selections? Well, going by how the BCCI functions, they will first refuse to acknowledge the problem (note how the defeats in England and Australia stand forgotten), then they will talk about the selectors eye for talent something that goes beyond statistics and then they will mention the old adage of how class is permanent, form is not. Or they will choose to remain silent and hide behind the BCCIÃÔ diktat that the selectors donÃÕ answer to the media which is exactly what they did when they decided to send Kris SrikkanthÃÔ son to Australia as part of the Emerging India squad despite having a batting average that was inferior to Piyush Chawla at that point of time. Or they might even say that their potential as leaders is great because that is how Jaydev Shah (son of Niranjan Shah) convinced the selectors to name him captain of a select Indian squad for a short tour of Israel. Yes, yes, our selectors are the best. ŵhe only way out of this problem is to do away with zonal selections. ThatÃÔ the only way to get past this wall, said Ayaz. The only question we have is this: If our selectors have forgotten how to do their jobs, what is the rest of the BCCI doing? Waiting for the next favour to come their way, of course! http://www.firstpost.com/sports/is-the-india-a-team-for-friends-family-and-zonal-favours-302474.html

India A in West Indies - Focus on Rahane, Rohit, Pujara and Tiwary The need to groom young Indian talent is the crying need of the hour. While the Indian Premier League (IPL) grips the attention of cricket fans, the Indian national selectors quietly picked an India A side with an eye on the future just what the doctor ordered after the nightmares in England and Australia. The Cheteshwar Pujara-led side is scheduled to visit the Caribbean in June, giving the Indian team management the ideal opportunity to zero in on choices for the next Test assignment. The India A team selected to tour West Indies is as follows: Cheteshwar Pujara (captain), Wriddhiman Saha (vice-captain), Abhinav Mukund, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Manoj Tiwary, Rahul Sharma, Ashok Dinda, Jalaj Saxena, RP Singh, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Robin Bist, Akshay Darekar and Shami Ahmed. The most interesting selections are that of Pujara, Rahane, Sharma and Tiwary all who are on the fringes of the Indian Test team. The appointment of Pujara is a welcome move as he seems to be temperamentally strong and in control of his emotions. His poor luck due to injury prevented him from establishing himself in the Indian Test squad and this gives him a lifeline to push for a comeback. What is heartening is that despite average performances since coming back from injury, he remains in the selectors plans as they have taken note of his precocious talent. Pujara is no stranger to a leadership role as he handled the reins for India A on a tour to England in 2010. The added responsibility did not burden him as he maintained his prolific run. Rahane and Rohit had to warm the benches in Australia even as calls for their inclusion in the playing eleven intensified. With India hell bent on fielding their strongest side (all the seniors that is), it denied them the opportunity to hone their skills in the classical format. The frustration of sitting out would have been unnerving and the duo would be eagerly awaiting their Test debuts. Rohit is a proven match-winner in the One Day Internationals (ODIs) and T20s while Rahane is getting better with every outing irrespective of the format. However, amongst all the promising batsmen, the most eager to perform would be Tiwary. He made sporadic ODI appearances over the years as the Indian team management treated him as a make-shift option. His century in the ODI against West Indies at Chennai in December didnÃÕ change that as he hasnÃÕ donned the Indian jersey since. He also faces the danger of being stereotyped as a one-day specialist. But he has a fantastic first-class record and has done well for India A and the Emerging Sides in the past. Keeping Rahul DravidÃÔ retirement in perspective, the four batsmen would compete for the No 3 spot. India is scheduled to tour Sri Lanka in July for a Test series and that would be on the minds of these players. However, if VVS Laxman is asked to sit out, it may pave the way for one more to get into the Indian team. Virat KohliÃÔ fighting performances in Australia have placed him far ahead of the others in the pecking order and they would have to do something similar to grab their chances. It may be possible that Kohli may be promoted to number three and one of the quartet may have to bat at six. In the midst of this raging competition, one mustnÃÕ ignore the selection of Robin Bist the highest run-scorer in the Indian first-class season. It is a reward for fantastic consistency and he would be the dark horse in the race for a spot in the Indian team. It would be difficult to fit him into the eleven as Mukund and Dhawan would open, followed by the quartet. Saha would play as the wicket-keeper and bat at No 7; the bowlers completing the rest of the line-up. If India A opt for a rotation policy like the senior team, players like Bist may get an even chance. The decision to appoint Saha as the vice-captain is surprising to say the least. Earlier this season, he relinquished the East Zone captaincy saying that he is a reluctant leader. Consequently, Bengal had to change their plans of appointing him as the vice-captain of the team. Instead of him, someone like a Rohit or a Tiwary could have been handed the role. The other surprise was that the team doesnÃÕ have a second wicket-keeper. Considering Dinesh KarthikÃÔ consistent performances for Tamil Nadu, a call-up would have been just. Some may argue that his inclusion would have altered the whole make-up of the side. But, they could have carried 16 players instead of 15 to give better balance. Dinda and Darekar have also been rewarded for good performances in the domestic season. However, the inclusion of Ahmed is surprising. Parwinder Awana the Delhi seamer was the fourth highest wicket-taker in the first-class games and the highest in the List A matches. In contrast Ahmed has done well, but doesnÃÕ have a record as impressive as that of Awana. In fact, AwanaÃÔ encouraging performances in the Indian Premier League (IPL) should have been accounted for while taking the final decision. The other notable absentee is Tadhuri Sudhindra the second highest wicket-taker of the first-class season. Although, the focus would be on the performances of the batsmen, it would be a mistake to ignore the bowling. IndiaÃÔ recent performances in ODIs have shown that the bowling isnÃÕ in good shape. Which is why, the selection of Rudra Pratap Singh is a good tactical move. India must not lose a talent like him as he needs be handled well and given opportunities to prove himself. The selection in England was harsh on him and he even though he did decently well in the ODIs, the selectors chose to axe him. This call-up may be a new lease of life for RP Singh. http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricket-articles/India-A-in-West-Indies-Focus-on-Rahane-Rohit-Pujara-and-Tiwary/13951

We all know what the problem is but we just do anything. We are helpless. what are we waiting for, then? Of course for India to hit the rock bottom and then see these leeches leave BCCI because there won't be much money here then. Thats how hopeless the scene is!