Do we need a tour match now ?

Ram

Was wondering the utility of having this tour match with Sri Lanka now. I mean, its not that we needed to get used to these conditions. We have been here for a nearly 4 weeks now. Whats the point in having this match between the second and third test ? The players need as much as rest as possible. A 3 day match will take a lot of you, maybe leaving some players exhausted too. Yea , you could say that we could use the tour match for getting players into form , like openers etc. If anything , Sreesanth should have played in this match , to get some rhythm. Even he isnt playing. Wonder what the players make out of such ridiculous scheduling.

It would be suicidal not to get some game time for Gambhir, Bose, Yuvi, Powar and Sharma. Although I don't wish it on you, accidents happen. Illnesses can occur. You saw what happened in Ireland. Would you be happy taking, say, Bose and Gambhir into the vital third Test, with none or little game time, if Karthik and RP got sick ? Hypothetical, yes, but a possible scenario. Anyway, mm. We are talking pro cricketers here. Why do any of them 'need' a rest ? Many spent a lot of time relaxing on the balcony during both Tests.

It is not Yuvraj or Powar or Bose that i am worried about. They would looking forward to this test ,to further this case. I am more concerned about Rahul Dravid , Anil Kumble, Dhoni. I for one believe we play too much cricket. Many cricketers , including Dravid and KP have said so too. Rest is a good thing for players. And you have made a VERY fair point about getting subs ready in case one of the regulars were injured. But i dont think that was the intention of this match. It was accommodated just to satisfy the whims of the boards involved.

A tour game in the middle of the test series in a 5 test series like Ashes is good to keep the fringe players in touch. It also helps some of the bowlers to rest a bit. Already India has had two tour games prior to the start of the series and I do not see any reason to play another 4 days of aimless cricket.

Gats , Does that mean you would have not supported this match had Rahul been in good form and scoring a lot of runs in the middle ? We have been doing a lot of travelling and playing in the last 35 days. A tour match in the middle of the test series doesnt make sense to me.

Gats , Does that mean you would have not supported this match had Rahul been in good form and scoring a lot of runs in the middle ? We have been doing a lot of travelling and playing in the last 35 days. A tour match in the middle of the test series doesnt make sense to me.
i dont wat u mean by doing a lot of travelling.... england and scotland together is the probably the size of pennsylvania or a lil larger.... and we have jus played 2 test matches with good rain breaks thrown in ..... the opposition has not crossed 300 even once, so not much standing in the sun for days together.... i dont know why u r making excuses for em...
Gats ' date=' tell me this. When was the last time you saw an Indian team playing a tour match IN BETWEEN the tests ?[/quote'] i have definitely seen... inspite of the tour match, they have 10 days gap.... the players themselves are complaining about the looong gap... i think, it was Dravid...
i have definitely seen... inspite of the tour match' date=' they have 10 days gap.... the players themselves are complaining about the looong gap... i think, it was Dravid...[/quote'] There shouldnt have been such a long gap in the first place and there shouldnt be tour matches in between.