Mcgrath confirms retirement

"To be honest, I haven't said anything [about retiring]," he told commercial radio. "It's funny where it all comes from. "To me, I'm just preparing for another game. Nothing's changed since the end of the Perth Test, apart from the fact that Shane Warne's retiring at the end of the Sydney Test. So it's funny how Warney decides that and ... whether it's in his wake and I'm being pulled along as well or whether the media think it's time for me to go, I don't know." Asked whether this series would be his last, McGrath was non-committal. "All I'm saying is that, to me, it's business as usual," he said. "I'm just preparing for these next two Test matches, then it's the one-day series and then I'll take it from there." The Daily Telegraph reported McGrath would fly to Melbourne today for the fourth Test carrying his resignation letter after discussing his departure with his wife Jane, who has endured a lengthy battle with cancer. "All I did was finish in Perth, come home and I've done nothing since and I've had journalists camped on the front door and hassling me at home and everything," he said. "For me, it's just another day at the office. "I guess we'll have to wait and see, won't we, [whether I will play on]. I don't look that far ahead. In previous years, I haven't said I'm looking forward to the Test in eight months or 12 months so, for me, it's just another day at the office. I'm still enjoying it. I'm still loving playing and I've still got a lot of cricket in me."

Re: Mcgrath confirms retirement Dsr, I have changed the thread title a bit to reflect his retirement. Hope you don't mind. To my mind, the greatest ever quick bowler to grace planet earth. His utter dominance over his peers is illustrated by the following table of the number of times a quick bowler was top of the PwC rankings. McGrath is way out in front. Glenn McGrath----42 Curtly Ambrose---34 Richard Hadlee---33 Malcolm Marshall-24 Shaun Pollock-----21 Dennis Lillee------16 Allan Donald------14 Imran Khan-------12 Waqar Younis-----8 Joel Garner------- 3 Andy Roberts-----3 Michael Holding---1 Wasim Akram-----0

Re: Mcgrath confirms retirement

Dsr, I have changed the thread title a bit to reflect his retirement. Hope you don't mind. To my mind, the greatest ever quick bowler to grace planet earth. His utter dominance over his peers is illustrated by the following table of the number of times a quick bowler was top of the PwC rankings. McGrath is way out in front. Glenn McGrath----42 Curtly Ambrose---34 Richard Hadlee---33 Malcolm Marshall-24 Shaun Pollock-----21 Dennis Lillee------16 Allan Donald------14 Imran Khan-------12 Waqar Younis-----8 Joel Garner------- 3 Andy Roberts-----3 Michael Holding---1 Wasim Akram-----0
hmm... this stat further proves my contention... Akram was never a great test bowler... he was jus good....

Re: Mcgrath confirms retirement I firmly believe McGrath has been the best fast bowler to ever grace cricket. Couple others run close but McGrath has proved over a longer period of time he is nothing short of best. One of the very few Aussies I can appreciate really and he has done more service to Australian cricket than a hyped up Warnie. McGrath didn't need dope, didn't side with a bookie but worked within his limitations to end up where he is right now. McGrath's behaviour has been wanting in the past but I am happy to ignore that given his credentials as a bowler. On the side note McGrath was of course helped having been born in Australia where he gets to play a lot of cricket on bouncy pitches that helps his type of bowling. McGrath has done enough around the world but if he was part of Indian set up he would have claimed about 100-150 wickets less.

Re: Mcgrath confirms retirement True that but don't reckon he would have been this successful for a consistent period of time bowling the line and length stuff. In a country where Ganguly used to open bowling at times McGrath would have been used like Srinath was :roll:

Re: Mcgrath confirms retirement You guys have short memories, Marshall is No 1. Look at his average and strike rate, it is better the Mcgraths and the best of all the seamers. Leaving stats aside he was simply the best anyway. He unlike Mcgrath did not just rely on accuracy, even though in this he was the equal if not better then Mcgrath in this. Mcgarath would often rely on patience. Marshall could do this but often he would blow batters away through terrifying pace and movement. He could do things Mcgrath could never do with the ball. Mcgrath just had longveity on his side. As bowlers though there is no comparison.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Mcgrath confirms retirement First Warne now Mcgrath, Inzama must be a happy man this time he will break the binary jinx against aussiess.. Good luck aloo :wtg: