Sreesanth must be banned for beamer: Atherton

Sreesanth must be banned for beamer: Atherton Michael Atherton, the former England captain, has called for Sreesanth to be banned from The Oval Test for bowling a beamer at Kevin Pietersen in the second Test at Trent Bridge. In his column for the Sunday Telegraph, Atherton wrote that a bowler must always be punished severely for bowling a beamer: "If bowled deliberately there cannot be a more cowardly action on a cricket field; if bowled accidentally it is still potentially lethal. Either way it should incur an immediate one-match ban." Analysing the incident in the second Test, Atherton suggested that there were reasons to believe the beamer might not have been an accident. "The ball wasn't new and the lacquer had worn off, making it less likely to slip out of his hand; it wasn't wet; he had directional problems but hardly of the 'yips' variety. "We do know that, since the ball landed at the wicketkeeper's feet, he missed his length by a good 30 yards, an extraordinary failing for an international bowler. If it did slip, it slipped with remarkable accuracy, honing in on Pietersen's skull. Shortly afterwards he overstepped the front mark by two feet to bowl a rapid bouncer at Collingwood. Sreesanth was hardly in control of his emotions during that particular spell." Though Sreesanth immediately apologised after bowling the delivery, Atherton wrote that it hardly took away from the offence. "The royal wave was all that was needed for him to be portrayed as an innocent in the matter and to be forgiven. "An apology doesn't necessarily mean it is sincere. With match referees on the prowl, any bowler with an ounce of survival instinct is bound to apologise, deliberately bowled or not. And the batsman/batting side has no option but to accept it, for if it is not accepted then the moral high ground shifts in favour of the bowler, whose integrity is suddenly in question." Atherton also hit out at the ICC for its "misguided sense of priorities". Sreesanth was fined 50% of his match fee for a shoulder nudge at Michael Vaughan, but Atherton felt the beamer was a far more serious offence. "By fining Sreesanth 50% of his match fee for a shoulder nudge that could have inflicted no physical damage and ignoring the beamer which could have maimed a less alert batsman, the International Cricket Council once again showed a liking for the irrelevancies over the issues that matter." With Ranjan Madugalle, the match referee, taking no action, Atherton felt the onus was now on Rahul Dravid to ensure that he doesn't play at The Oval. "Since the match referee remained silent on the issue, it is Dravid who should take the appropriate disciplinary action ahead of The Oval Test match. Even if he doesn't want to take disciplinary action, he should ask himself: does he really want a bowler who so obviously cannot control his emotions to play in such a crunch encounter?" © Cricinfo ------------------ Atherton showing his true colours. Its not the first time a beamer has been bowled. Although, I must admit, beamer have no place in cricket. He's blatantly telling that Sreesanth did it on purpose. I didnt know he was a mind reader

atherton should be banned from commentry box from saying such crap... i know sreesanth + India ne mil ke england ki achi tarah le li hai and ga+nd maar di hai lekin then ismein Indian team ki kya galti hai.. england mein toh India bachpan se he england ki ga+nd maarti rahi hai.. whetar take the decider semi final of 83 world cup or 2002 natwest..

Sreesanth is being vilified here. I could almost detect a pattern here of the english press trying to unsettle the Indian team ahead of the third test. Atherton didnt say a word about banning Sree during commentary , but comes up with this bull in his column. Now , Pietersen has also said " he thought he was a goner" Hope Sree is un-affected by this all.

>When Akhtar bowled that beamer to Dhoni , lot of posters whined about it and now they are condoning the very action by Sreesanth ! Quit with the double standards will ya ! bowling beamer is wrong..in case of Akhtar he did not apologize immediately whereas Sree did. i think none of them did intentionally.

>When Akhtar bowled that beamer to Dhoni , lot of posters whined about it and now they are condoning the very action by Sreesanth ! Quit with the double standards will ya ! bowling beamer is wrong..in case of Akhtar he did not apologize immediately whereas Sree did. i think none of them did intentionally.
Exactly

I laughed my head of when I read that, this is coming from a country that invented bodyline bowling! Oh the English, I mean you almost have to feel bad for them, once they had the most dominant empire in the world...and now they can't even win at games they invented...and can't tolerate the iniquitous machinations they themselves plotted. Hahahahahaa...Atherton, says that Dravid should ban Sree HAHAHA... I hate to bring this up, but its times like these were you gotta start asking questions of latent but present racism in cricket. I mean people worship the aussies as if they are gods when they play aggressive cricket. If it was Jeff Thompson, Dennis Lillee, Brett Lee, or Andre Nel the media hails them as vicious competitors...if Sreesanth bowls a couple fierce deliveries the same commentators call for his head? As soon as the Aussies start losing, its not their lack of talent it must be that Murali is chucking...and if it isn't Murali who is chucking then it must be Bhajji... I thought KP was so bad ass...then how could 1 beamer "scare" him...and if it did then GOOD! This is cricket not ring-around-the-roses, alright come to play ball or go home and cry to your mommies or should i say "mummies" cuz I sure as fcuk don't want to hear your whining...