Who has been the most dominant in their sport?

novpj

The debate in the US has been between Woods and Federer as to who is the more dominant person in their respective sports. Its an interesting comparison since each of them is chasing a figure considered to be more dominant in their sports (Woods is chasing Nicklaus, Federer is chasing Sampras and SRT well he is not chasing any one but is behind Bradman and may be Lara) IMO iwhen you take all things into account Woods has to be considerd the more dominant of all three. He plays an individual sport that requires tremendous mental strength and is simply better than all of his contemporaries. Federer is simply more talented than most of his contemproaries but Nadal has given him a run for his money. Also when it comes to being clutch Tiger is simply it - here's a stat to ponder till the Master this year over 2 years Tiger Woods had attempted approx. 1000 putts under 6 ft and he had missed....exactly 2. This is called being clutch and on this dimension Federed doesnt do as well and SRT well he is not even in the ball park (or the city or the country).

Its easy to be dominant in individual sports if ur skill level is a tad above the rest. But to be a dominant individual in a team sport is FAR MORE challenging. I rate Michael Jordan the greatest sportsman ever. He was the quintessential athelete and a consummate winner. There is simply no "loser" bone in his body. At 37 the old man, literally carried a school team on his back & buried the Jazz to clinch a championship off his last shot. Till date i regret not watching this greatest sporting moment live on TV (I was on a plane during this game). We will likely see 100 Tiger woods, 1000 Federers, in the future, but there is & will be only one Michael Jordan.

Completely disagree. In a team sport you can afford to have a bad day because Pippen or Horace Grant or Kukoc can cover for you. You can have Steve Kerr make the clutch three but not in individual sport where you have to live with the bad drives, forget about them and focus on the next shot. So yes Jordan was a great competitor and probably one of the best basket ball players (although many think Magic or Larry Bird were better) but he certainly cant be compared to dominant players in individual sports.

Completely disagree. In a team sport you can afford to have a bad day because Pippen or Horace Grant or Kukoc can cover for you. You can have Steve Kerr make the clutch three but not in individual sport where you have to live with the bad drives' date=' forget about them and focus on the next shot. So yes Jordan was a great competitor and probably one of the best basket ball players ([b']although many think Magic or Larry Bird were better) but he certainly cant be compared to dominant players in individual sports.
Please don't compare mere mortals with God !
Its easy to be dominant in individual sports if ur skill level is a tad above the rest. But to be a dominant individual in a team sport is FAR MORE challenging. I rate Michael Jordan the greatest sportsman ever. He was the quintessential athelete and a consummate winner. There is simply no "loser" bone in his body. At 37 the old man, literally carried a school team on his back & buried the Jazz to clinch a championship off his last shot. Till date i regret not watching this greatest sporting moment live on TV (I was on a plane during this game). We will likely see 100 Tiger woods, 1000 Federers, in the future, but there is & will be only one Michael Jordan.
We will see 100 Woods ? 1000 Federers ? LMFAO. Okay... ...and Jordan's team wasn't a "school team". FAR from it. He had Pippen, Rodman, Kerr as a supporting cast - those were three fantastic players, and all three were ALL-STARS. Pippen on his own is one of the greatest players to have ever played the game. No loser bone in his body ? He never even made the playoffs when he came back for the Wizards
We will see 100 Woods ? 1000 Federers ? LMFAO. Okay... ...and Jordan's team wasn't a "school team". FAR from it. He had Pippen, Rodman, Kerr as a supporting cast - those were three fantastic players, and all three were ALL-STARS. Pippen on his own is one of the greatest players to have ever played the game. No loser bone in his body ? He never even made the playoffs when he came back for the Wizards
Preds ! Did you watch Jordan play ? Pippen has to be the MOST OVERRATED player in the history of NBA, IMO and notice how his performance went south after Jordan's second retirement. This guy was a good all round player more in the mold of Grant Hill , that's about it. He was hardly a player you can trust to make clutch shots unlike Jordan. And for god's sake Jordan was 40 years old when he came back third time. So , you expect him to play like a 25 year superstar with the team he had with Wizards and make it to playoffs?He was good player not a great player during his third tenure .
Preds ! Did you watch Jordan play ? Pippen has to be the MOST OVERRATED player in the history of NBA, IMO and notice how his performance went south after Jordan's second retirement. This guy was a good all round player more in the mold of Grant Hill , that's about it. He was hardly a player you can trust to make clutch shots unlike Jordan. And for god's sake Jordan was 40 years old when he came back third time. So , you expect him to play like a 25 year superstar with the team he had with Wizards and make it to playoffs?He was good player not a great player during his third tenure .
Yeah, i've watched MJ many times against the Knicks. Went to the games when i was a kid. I was just responding to Bumper's point, where he claimed that Jordan's team was a "school team", which is just not true. Fair points. Pippen was no Jordan, but he was a damn good player at his peak. The Bulls missed him through injury in '98 and struggled until he came back - he was a key part of that team. Phil Jackson said he wouldn't trade Pippen for anyone. Besides, have you ever seen his assist record ? It's one of the best ever
We will see 100 Woods ? 1000 Federers ? LMFAO. Okay...
Tennis players are getting better & better. When Borg played there was no one better than him ever. The same was said about Sampras. Now the same is said about Federer. Same is true with Women's tennis. I dont have the slightest doubt that 10 years from now, the players will be way better than the ones we see today
...and Jordan's team wasn't a "school team". FAR from it. He had Pippen, Rodman, Kerr as a supporting cast - those were three fantastic players, and all three were ALL-STARS. Pippen on his own is one of the greatest players to have ever played the game.
It was a school team when pippen was injured. Rodman is no scorer. And Kerr :hysterical:, Kerr can shoot only when there is no traffic and most likely i can outdribble him. With Pippen in the bench Jordan had to do all the work himself.
No loser bone in his body ? He never even made the playoffs when he came back for the Wizards
Yeah right, he returned when was close to 40. No one expected him to make the playoffs. Before 1998, he was the GOD of basketball. No wonder ESPN rated him ahead of the white guy Ruth, as the numero uno athelete of the century
You fell for it KR, thats Predz man's way of baiting people into a conversation, by throwing in adjectives such as "Roobish", "Preposterous", "Nonsense" even on the most inarguable subject. I'd love to see him & CC go at each other someday. That'll be fun!:cantstop:
Completely disagree. In a team sport you can afford to have a bad day because Pippen or Horace Grant or Kukoc can cover for you. You can have Steve Kerr make the clutch three but not in individual sport where you have to live with the bad drives' date=' forget about them and focus on the next shot. So yes Jordan was a great competitor and probably one of the best basket ball players (although many think Magic or Larry Bird were better) but he certainly cant be compared to dominant players in individual sports.[/quote'] How do you make the team win consistently ? Kobe has great skills, but he is no leader like Jordan. He cannot make players around him better like Jordan was able to. It takes a lot of talent, team spirit, leadership and sacrifice to attain the greatness that Jordan was able to attain. Jordan turned a bunch of no-namers into Champions and did that 6 times. Not once did i see him, doubt himself or his team's chances of winning the championship, not even when the opponents were really competitive and pushed the Bulls to their limits. In the years he was away, during his first retirement, Bulls came crashing down to Earth, proving to the world, how much they were dependent on this ONE man. Bird and Magic may be great, but its a JOKE to compare any basketball player with Jordan. Jordan is out of this world. And in individual sports, there is no one to blame, u control ur own destiny. Success is much harder to come by in team sports. Thats why its so hard to attain greatness in a team sport.

Bumper team sports are a lot about chemistry so giving an individual a lot of credit for the results doesnt fly. Eg., look at tennis who are the best doubles pair ever - do these guys figure as top individual players? Than answer would be no. In my mind there are two knocks against Jordan a) he plays a team sport and b) he is not even considered to be the best ever - Sports Illustrated ranked the top basketball players ever and ranked him third!!

Tennis players are getting better & better. When Borg played there was no one better than him ever. The same was said about Sampras. Now the same is said about Federer.
The game hasn't seen anyone like Federer or Woods - these guys have redefined the standard in their respective sports
It was a school team when pippen was injured. Rodman is no scorer. And Kerr :hysterical:' date=' Kerr can shoot only when there is no traffic and most likely i can outdribble him. With Pippen in the bench Jordan had to do all the work himself.[/quote'] LOL ! So now they went from being a school team to a school team when Pippen was injured :hysterical: You drool over Jordan's shot vs Jazz, so what did you think of Kerr hitting the winning shot in the finals the season before ? You obviously don't watch much basketball
No wonder ESPN rated him ahead of the white guy Ruth' date=' as the numero uno athelete of the century[/quote'] The same ESPN guys think LeBron James is the new Jordan. Do you know who LeBron James is ? So much for the "only one Michael Jordan" argument
You fell for it KR' date=' thats Predz man's way of baiting people into a conversation, by throwing in adjectives such as "Roobish", "Preposterous", "Nonsense" even on the most inarguable subject. I'd love to see him & CC go at each other someday. That'll be fun!:cantstop:[/quote'] LMFAO. Even your cheap digs are WEAK. I call it like it see it - not my fault that most of your arguments tend to be "Roobish", "Preposterous" and "Nonsense" ! :hysterical:

Kasprov is the best No domination has been so thorough and complete as has been Garry Kasprov over chess. Now a respected political icon who has used his fame for social reform and pro democratic movement (earning him enemies with Putin and his lot). i ll write more on this absolute perfect human being later, i have a pizza in the oven that needs attention.