'I've played my last game of cricket' - Gilchrist

J P K

Adam Gilchrist, the Kings XI Punjab captain, has said his playing career looks to be over. Gilchrist, who retired from international cricket in 2008, captained Deccan Chargers to the IPL title in 2009 and took over the leadership of Kings XI in 2011. The defeat against Delhi Daredevils in Dharamsala on Saturday, he said, was his last game, and added he would consider a full-time coaching role with Kings XI if offered; he'd been carrying the dual responsibility of captain and coach/mentor this season. "I would say I've played my last game of cricket just there," Gilchrist said after the match. I'll go away and have a think about it and talk to the franchise. If the franchise is still keen to keep me involved as coach, which is a role I've really enjoyed, I find that I still enjoy being around the group. To be honest I didn't miss the cricket that much. "I loved the fact that I could play the last couple of games, but I didn't have the horrible desire that I was missing out. There isn't that fire burning in my belly quite like it used to. I have to think about it but I just feel I won't be playing." Kings XI were shut out of contention for a place in the playoffs after they were beaten in their final league game by Daredevils. Gilchrist missed nearly a month of the IPL action this season due to a hamstring injury. "To miss the playoffs was disappointing. But there were some positives, especially the performance of some of the domestic players. Mandeep Singh, Gurkeerat Singh, Parvinder Awana... They've all done well and the exciting thing is that there's still scope for them to learn, improve, develop and make that adjustment to the next level." Gilchrist has played 67 IPL games, scoring 1775 runs at 27.73 and a strike-rate of 140.20. He's scored two centuries and 10 fifties. Of his IPL experience, Gilchrist said: "The IPL will feature prominently in my memories of cricket. To come with a team that was last the previous year and win the title was very special (Deccan Chargers). One of the great memories of my cricket career was at this ground last year -- that partnership (206 against Royal Challengers Bangalore) with Shaun (Marsh). So yeah, it has been a great experience." http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2012/content/story/565517.html?CMP=chrome