Rahul Sharma and Wayne Parnell arrested from a Mumbai rave party| Update - Wayne Parnell claims innocence

saneindian

Drug traces stay in the system for a long time. Maybe they would go below permissible levels or are not screened by the doping agencies in the first place :dontknow:
Which drug, how long? Different drugs have different half-life (and acceptable/ban-able trace-levels), and most of recreational drugs are cleaned out of system within couple of days - unless of course you are regular user. Also, (IIRC) ICC/BCCI do not yet come under WADA - under which only athletes can be tested randomly (random times) - and be banned for using performance enhancing substances. Even with WADA, not all substances that we normally call as 'drugs' are performance enhancers, and hence not under 'banned from sports/athletes' category....also, not all drugs are banned "All the time" http://www.teachpe.com/drugs/banned_list.php

I think you need to understand the difference between performance enhancing/banned drugs and recreational drugs (similar to tobacco and alcohol). Not everything is banned and checked as part of drug tests. Normally it's performance enhancing drugs' date=' steroids, masking agents and a few other drugs are tested for, not everything under the sun and [b']I am sure most of the professional sportspersons know this.
Not necessarily. Most of the professional sportsmen just follow their dietitians/doctors blindly - they just focus on training/sports - and leave it all to their advisers. Which is the primary reason, why we still keep hearing stories of sportsmen caught taking performance enhancing drugs.

Not necessarily. Most of the professional sportsmen just follow their dietitians/doctors blindly - they just focus on training/sports - and leave it all to their advisers. Which is the primary reason, why we still keep hearing stories of sportsmen caught taking performance enhancing drugs.
IMO someone has to be extremely naive to experiment with a drug which they haven't run by their physician or agent. Most of the professional athletes even run their nutritional supplements by their physicians to ensure the supplements doesn't include any banned substance. I am sure even if Rahul was naive enough, Parnell would still follow the protocol and go with the drug (I am assuming a recreational hallucinogen) that he knows is not banned. This assuming that they did take any drugs/substance coz being present at a party doesn't mean that they did the drugs as well.

IMO someone has to be extremely naive to experiment with a drug which they haven't run by their physician or agent. Most of the professional athletes even run their nutritional supplements by their physicians to ensure the supplements doesn't include any banned substance. I am sure even if Rahul was naive enough' date= Parnell would still follow the protocol and go with the drug (I am assuming a recreational hallucinogen) that he knows is not banned. This assuming that they did take any drugs/substance coz being present at a party doesn't mean that they did the drugs as well.
Most of the cases that you hear about being banned due to tested positive for prohibited drug - are due to negligence or misinformation on part of the 'trusted' physician/dietitian/coaches.. Sportsmen just do not have time/energy (and 'intelligence') to go through the labels of every stuff they intake. In this case - I think it must be common knowledge the professional sportsmen circle that -either - recreational drugs are OK, when not playing - OR - the drugs are just washed off the system (or masked, if required) quickly enough. Itna paisa bana ke ek aam aadmi recreational activity nahi karega tou kya bhajan-kertan karega? P.S. I am just countering your claim that - sportsmen are themselves are knowledgeable enough in these matters.. which is not the case, they (most) just blindly follow their assigned staff.

IPL players in busted Juhu rave party

MUMBAI: Police broke up a rave party on the terrace of a Juhu hotel on Sunday evening and detained 96 youngsters, including several foreign nationals. At least two IPL players and a couple of children of celebrities were among them, police sources said. "We found 58 men and 38 women at the rave party at Oakwood Premier Hotel on J R Mhatre Road near Juhu beach," said zonal DCP Pratap Dighavkar. Police seized around 110 gm of cocaine, besides Ecstasy tablets and charas. The police will lodge two types of cases - one for possession and the other for consumption of proscribed drugs. Cocaine, Ecstasy and charas were recovered from the venue. Around 100 youngsters have been sent to various hospitals for their blood and urine samples to be collected.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/IPL-players-in-busted-Juhu-rave-party/articleshow/13321870.cms

Most of the cases that you hear about being banned due to tested positive for prohibited drug - are due to negligence or misinformation on part of the 'trusted' physician/dietitian/coaches.. Sportsmen just do not have time/energy (and 'intelligence') to go through the labels of every stuff they intake. In this case - I think it must be common knowledge the professional sportsmen circle that -either - recreational drugs are OK, when not playing - OR - the drugs are just washed off the system (or masked, if required) quickly enough. Itna paisa bana ke ek aam aadmi recreational activity nahi karega tou kya bhajan-kertan karega? P.S. I am just countering your claim that - sportsmen are themselves are knowledgeable enough in these matters.. which is not the case, they (most) just blindly follow their assigned staff.
I agree that sportspersons themselves are not knowledgeable about which drugs/substances are ok and which ones are not. I said intl sportspersons are not naive enough to take anything which is going around at a party and that they have enough common sense to check with their physicians & agents what could be ingested. In fact if I am an intl sportsperson I wouldn't have anything outside of what the team physician/dietician approves - be it drugs or even regular stuff. Who knows if a drink or food has been spiked with some banned substance :dontknow:

I agree that sportspersons themselves are not knowledgeable about which drugs/substances are ok and which ones are not. I said intl sportspersons are not naive enough to take anything which is going around at a party and that they have enough common sense to check with their physicians & agents what could be ingested. In fact if I am an intl sportsperson I wouldn't have anything outside of what the team physician/dietician approves - be it drugs or even regular stuff. Who knows if a drink or food has been spiked with some banned substance :dontknow:
That is what most of them (supposed to) do, and still get in the soup!

Pune Warrior has given statement that their players went there for a birthday party and they had nothing to do with drugs lol . Why so much of hurry to make a statement .Let things settle down first before mkaing statement in huff and puff .Later to find it contradictory lol.

I think you need to understand the difference between performance enhancing/banned drugs and recreational drugs (similar to tobacco and alcohol). Not everything is banned and checked as part of drug tests. Normally it's performance enhancing drugs' date=' steroids, masking agents and a few other drugs are tested for, not everything under the sun and I am sure most of the professional sportspersons know this.[/quote'] they also monitor recreational drugs http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/anti_corruption/condon-report.php#sec1

Which drug, how long? Different drugs have different half-life (and acceptable/ban-able trace-levels), and most of recreational drugs are cleaned out of system within couple of days - unless of course you are regular user. Also, (IIRC) ICC/BCCI do not yet come under WADA - under which only athletes can be tested randomly (random times) - and be banned for using performance enhancing substances. Even with WADA, not all substances that we normally call as 'drugs' are performance enhancers, and hence not under 'banned from sports/athletes' category....also, not all drugs are banned "All the time" http://www.teachpe.com/drugs/banned_list.php
Are you sure about that? :hmmm:

Are you sure about that? :hmmm:
yes (almost :nervous:). Also, notice that I am taking a case of one-off use, and not chronic usage - every drug will have different half-life times. Some can be expedited to leave the system, some can be masked. IMO, it is common sense. That is why you need to be a 'regular' user for sustained 'effects'. Every drug you take will follow some metabolic pathway, and if your kidney/liver are functioning normally - then the metabolites will get flushed out over the days. and within few days the traces of metabolites will be below detectable limit. E.g. here is the case of Cocaine. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_an_urine_test_for_cocaine_show_positive_ten_days_after_cocaine_usage As per this article, only chronic user will have traces detectable after 10 days ( of staying off). Similarly for most of the other drugs - the traces will taper off, at different rates, but surely and usually pretty quickly.