Pathan sent home

Gambit

Re: Pathan sent home Poor guy...it's for the best tho', and he really was bowling quite poorly. Chappell broke him down in the West Indies and like any other Indian cricketer, he has got a very fragile temperament and hasn't recovered since. Dravid has made his comments already --> http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/rsavind/content/current/story/273871.html It's great to see the skipper acknowledging him as an important player and an integral part of the team. Pathan is India's MVP, and without him the team stands no chance of winning that coveted WC trophy. India have won 36 of the 72 matches he has played in (50%) and in those 36 matches Pathan has taken 79 wickets at an astounding average of 16.68 !! These figures are incomparable and further emphasize the fact that his form is absolutely vital for India. When he does well, India (invariably) does well. I am sure he will come back better than ever. Dravid mentioned how strongly he came back after the disastrous series vs Pakistan at home. Some FC cricket will do him good at this stage, just like turning out for Middlesex did him good back in '05 before the SL tour. Funny isn't it...even after this prolonged slump of his since the WI tour, he STILL has more wickets than Kapil, Srinath, Agarkar, and Prabhakar had after their first 72 matches !

Re: Pathan sent home Good move by team management. He was just getting wasted in the team.... It will also inspire him to look for solutions.....and it looks like the team management took this move after taking him in confidence and he understands that it is for his good and not take it as an insult.

Re: Pathan sent home Right move and about time same treatment handed out to just anyone- not just the ones with low clouts. The bench strength In Aussie system make the cut throat appraoach easier and the players too know it themselves that they are next. Some of our non-performing stars must consider themselves truly lucky to be in playing eleven!

Re: Pathan sent home >>After all, how many 22-year-old can point to 91 Test wickets and 114 one-day scalps in a career that has already encompassed a Test-match hat-trick? Indeed. I hope hes back and soon. He needs to have a few words with a coach maybe..Sekar, or the guy who coached him as a youth...

Re: Pathan sent home dont confuse the two? Pathan is chosen as bowler..and he is out of sorts..so it made sense to send him back.. Jaffer as per the news, will get last chance in this Test match...He is not our MVP or ODI player...Pathan is..so made sense to send Pathan back for some Ranji cricket..

Re: Pathan sent home

Chappell broke him down in the West Indies and like any other Indian cricketer, he has got a very fragile temperament and hasn't recovered since.
I disagree with that statement. Pathans downfall can be attributed to coaching or lack of it but not directly to chappell. BCCI f***ed up big time in not having a bowling coach. And if promoting Pathan to No 3( quite often than not ) is attributed to his downfall then God save us. We just sent Pathan to No 3 to take advantage of his natural skills i the first 20 overs but never dependent on his batting. So no pressure and only free fliar. How can lack of confidence be attributed to lack of pace... Are we talking about Harmisons excuses... And Pathan is a Patahn...He is not a weak hearted fellow like agarkar... His attributes are shown in first debut series where he had pangas with the likes of Ponting,Gilly and Hayden even after being hit. And moreover Pathans alround contributions bought him 2 series more. High time he is dropped and get back to First Class to find his rhythm. Between Great Post.. and very good point about Dravid. Dravid even in his short term has supported many out of players then Ganguly in his career....May be Dravid and Chappell playing Good Cop and Bad Cop. :lol:

Re: Pathan sent home I don't think this is a great move. Although the motive or reasoning can't be doubted it can play on the mind of a player. Cricket is a lot about confidence and once dented even the best of players will falter. Moreover the reason for choosing 14 men or 15 men team is to ensure they have enough back up. What if one or two of the faster bowlers injure themselves? Where are they going to find a backup? Are they going to fly him back if injury strikes Munaf and Sree? This sort of treatment is unprecedented and should not have happened. Pathan may have participated in enough domestic games even if he stays back with the team till the end of the series. The domestic season is underway and there will be plenty of games in the next couple of months or three. I believe they had thought about this even before Pathan's bad form showed in the KZN game. The board had made a mention of such a move already although did not specifically mention Pathan's name. Pathan's was the name that was proposed by the team management even before the game. Just that they exposed Pathan by playing the game against KZN. Quite honestly Pathan has just been exposed and the team management has absolutely no faith in him and that is the bottom line. Rahul Dravid reasoning this move and quoting Pathan as important ingredient is just for the scribes. :shrug:

Re: Pathan sent home Pathan has the capacity to be back.... He has the talent and he has shown it with displays in aus, pak and in the odis consistently over a year.... everyone needs some time to work alone.... Dravid was dropped from odi team and came bak stronger and better.... same with zak...

Re: Pathan sent home I agree Ravi. Must have been horrible feeling for the guy. He should have been sent back after the odis. If not they should have carried him till the tour is over, heck why he couldn't work in the nets or with someone like AD if that could be arranged. I don't recall any instance of a player sent home mid tour because he is out of form. The whole scene now is not going to do his confidence any good. Unless there is more to this than meets the eye. :chin:

Re: Pathan sent home

Well poor dsr dosent know the difference between form and class. He will be back. In ODIs anyway soon enough. No replacement for him?? Joginder perhaps...or and out and out paceman- GAGANDEEP
:lol::lol: Class my arse. He has been bowling pies at 75mph for well over a year now. Some people choose to ignore his actual peformances and are in self denial. He has no control over the cricket ball and this has been loooooooong overdue

Re: Pathan sent home Yawwwnn You are proving my point you know. His ODI record speaks for itself...have a look at Predators post above and Dileeps article test form isnt great I will admit...but then apart from Munaf and Sree (whove played just 7 tests each) none of our current pacers have great test records