Umesh Yadav happy with his performance in IPL 5

rkt.india

NAGPUR: Umesh Yadav wasn't a happy man last year. He had been eyeing a comeback in the Indian side and performing well in the IPL was one way to do that. But he didn't live up to the expectations. When he wasn't included in the second string Indian team for the West Indies, Yadav knew he had to raise the bar. He worked hard on his bowling; plugged the loopholes and when the opportunity came against England, Yadav grabbed it with both hands. Since then he has gone from strength to strength. Unlike last year, this year he did extremely well for Delhi Daredevils bagging 19 wickets with an economy rate of 7.42. His team may not have gone all the way but the 24-year-old draws many positives from the season. "Last year wasn't that great for me. So, I wanted to do well. I think I performed pretty well this time. I got a couple of three-wicket hauls and also won the Man of the Match awards twice. Except for one match, I managed to contain the batsmen," Yadav told TOI on Sunday. "It would have been nice if we had won the championship but from the bottom last year to finish the league table on top was a good achievement. We had some world class players and it was good to learn something from them. Viru Paaji led the side very well and it was a happy dressing room. We had a great fast bowling unit with Morne (Morkel), me and Varun (Aaron). Bowling was definitely our strength. The team management and franchise supported us a lot when we weren't doing well last year. It's unfortunate that we couldn't go all the way. However, we will compensate this in the Champions League," Yadav said. Yadav feels Twenty20 has its own challenges. "I feel focus is very important because you get to bowl only four overs. Even one bad over can spoil your figures and moreover, it could turn the match. You need to be sure what you want to bowl against a particular batsman. It's all about executing you plan well," the Vidarbha pacer said. He had great time bowling alongside South African Morne Morkel. The duo shared 44 wickets between them. "Bowling with somebody like Morne was a great learning experience. I was a rookie last year. I have learned quite a lot from just watching him. We are two different bowlers. He kind of hits the deck while I swing and skit the ball. However, there are some things common between us. We both love to bowl fast and don't believe in compromising on pace. Also, we are attacking bowlers. He told me to look after my body and be mentally strong. At the highest level, I have learned one thing, that you will have good days and bad days. So you need to be calm in every situation," said Yadav. The last 10 months have been great for Yadav, who is the first Test cricketer from Vidarbha. He impressed everyone with his pace and ability to move the ball. "The last year was a great learning experience for me. I have seen ups and downs. I have surely improved as a cricketer but I am still in the learning stage of my career. This second season will be very important for me. I was unknown to the cricketing world but the opposition has now seen me. They must have studied my strengths and weaknesses. The challenge is to be a step ahead of them. I have a month off now where I will assess what I did in the last year and how I can improve myself. We have some important series lined up. So, I will have to keep myself fit and strong," he said. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/ipl-2012/news/Umesh-Yadav-happy-with-his-performance-in-IPL-5/articleshow/13578778.cms