Why do Southie movies have Northie heroines?

Prakat

^BTW your reference to Hollywood vs Bollywood is totally on the wrong track. We are the same country, same race. I am not sure how it matters if good/pretty actresses move from one industry to another. We did get some decent imports like Simran and I am fine with it. Just don't get people who are absolutely useless. Tabu, Asin are Malayalees. They act in Bollywood. Do you see a problem with that? :dontknow: Even amongst various Southie states, actors/actresses/singers move a lot. Rahman made music for a gazillion bollywood movies. Did you feel insulted that your movie industry was run for a while by a guy who was from a different culture? :dontknow: I would feel insulted if Bappi Lahari or Anu Malik made music for a Tamil movie though. :P
There is a question of identity and self-image involved in actors which does not arise with other crew. For example lot of early directors of Indian cinema were British, but the audiences of 1930s India did not find it alienating because it wasn't something you were aware of unless you could read the credits.

There is a question of identity and self-image involved in actors which does not arise with other crew. For example lot of early directors of Indian cinema were British' date=' but the audiences of 1930s India did not find it alienating because it wasn't something you were aware of unless you could read the credits.[/quote'] You didn't answer my question. Why do you feel an Indian from one part of the country must feel bad if someone from another part of the country gets to act in a movie of their language? Do you or a gal from Mumbai feel bad if Asin acts in a bollywood movie cause she is a Malayalee?

Asin is Syrian Christian ' date='so don't look like typical southie girl[/quote'] There ya go, if you she is pretty she isn't your typical Southie girl. :hysterical: Spoken like a true dumb Narthie. :winky: What some of you don't realize is that the Southie population (I am sure this is true to an extent in all states) has a lot of shades of color, prettiness, cuteness, smartness, dumbness, talk, short, you name it. So stereotyping aint as easy unless ofc you are dumb.

@zelig and zelch If its about fair skin then shouldn't your film industry be working to remove this prejudice instead of perpetuating it? Why idealize a northie kind of beauty instead of making your women feel beautiful?

@zelig and zelch If its about fair skin then shouldn't your film industry be working to remove this prejudice instead of perpetuating it? Why idealize a northie kind of beauty instead of making your women feel beautiful?
dude, fair skin is the name of the game in the entire country. you are talking as if the entire country barring the southie states is oozing with milky white skin. :giggle: oh btw, regarding actresses, there are fair skinned southie actresses and darker shade actresses all acting in a gazillion movies made each year.

You didn't answer my question. Why do you feel an Indian from one part of the country must feel bad if someone from another part of the country gets to act in a movie of their language? Do you or a gal from Mumbai feel bad if Asin acts in a bollywood movie cause she is a Malayalee?
Your Asin situation would apply if bollywood across the board idealized southie beauty without native north Indian beauty being represented on the screen. Then sure, the young northie women watching it would feel inadequate.

You didn't answer my question. Why do you feel an Indian from one part of the country must feel bad if someone from another part of the country gets to act in a movie of their language? Do you or a gal from Mumbai feel bad if Asin acts in a bollywood movie cause she is a Malayalee?
I dont think an average movie goer thinks of national integration and sht like that while watching a movie, on the other hand a southie girl will not "group hate" northy heroines for being eye candy in all the movies. They will subconsciously try to imitate the northie life style, dressing. Anyway a girl will always think she is more beautiful and fair than others.:winky:

Your Asin situation would apply if bollywood across the board idealized southie beauty without native north Indian beauty being represented on the screen. Then sure' date= the young northie women watching it would feel inadequate.
That's not true with Southie movies either. Yes, there may be a disproportionate number of "white skinned" Northie gals in Southie movies when compared to the opposite in Bollywood, but I would say it is less than half. May be there was a time when Smiran, Kushboo and Nagma were all acting at the same time, they probably did more than the others, but current movies, from what I have seen aren't as dominated. Of the the 3 I mentioned, only Simran was worth importing, other 2 were trash, IMO. PS: I am not a big Southie (or bollywood) movie watcher, I am very selective in the kind of movies I watch.

There ya go, if you she is pretty she isn't your typical Southie girl. :hysterical: Spoken like a true dumb Narthie. :winky: What some of you don't realize is that the Southie population (I am sure this is true to an extent in all states) has a lot of shades of color, prettiness, cuteness, smartness, dumbness, talk, short, you name it. So stereotyping aint as easy unless ofc you are dumb.
You are running from truth,yes population comes in all shades of color ,but Southies pick heroes which look like majority of south Indian population but prefer Heroines which are fair skinned who could be be from a tiny minority community of South India or From North India

Indian Society/Southern Society is not enlightened enough for such high thinking. We are talking of film industries where most films are any thing but rich mans Bhojpuri fillums...... sleazy all the way. What we Southies do best is we dont kill our infant girls. :two_thumbs_up:

What is it that causes southie film industries to be dominated by northie heroines? How does it affect the local females when they see their modern love stories in their languages but without them? When the movies they see all have their men idealizing a kind of beauty which is not their own? wouldn't it be a little soul-crusing? Why don't southie men find their women beautiful? it would be like if hindi movies had heroines who were all blonde, blue-eyed. it would certainly be very disorienting for women if the saw that. Its kind of like all the men were saying 'we don't find you beautiful' which is very sad. (Its not even equatible with vyjayntimala, rekha, hema and sridevi's careers in bollywood. For one they were all talented dancers and hindi cinema was going through a phase where it valued classical dance training.)
The opposite holds good as well... Asin, Vidya Balan, Deepika Padukone, Shilpa shetty, Aishwarya Rai, - all these are southies

You are running from truth' date='yes population comes in all shades of color ,[b']but Southies pick heroes which look like majority of south Indian population but prefer Heroines which are fair skinned who could be be from a tiny minority community of South India or From North India
Wrong again, cause you guys don't even know about most of the Southie movies or Heros. Your exposure to Southie movies is by laughing at it by posting scenes from some of the worst made ones, which most likely was picked to show how dark the hero was. Ignorance is bliss, only if you don't expose it. :winky: Let's see how many of the following names you are familiar with (I am guessing one): 1. Ajith 2. Madhavan 3. Jayam Ravi 4. Sidharth ..

You are running from truth' date='yes population comes in all shades of color ,but Southies pick heroes which look like majority of south Indian population but prefer Heroines which are fair skinned who could be be from a tiny minority community of South India or From North India[/quote'] I have discussed this with my friends.. Meenakshi seshadri, Hema malini, vijayanti mala all 3 hail from TN. All 3 are iyengar brahmins. Apart from Sridevi i don't know any non bramin who is very famous has come out of TN. Rati Agnihotri is from Chennai though a punjabi. She grew up there. Not sure if Rekha is an iyer or iyengar. Even among south actresses are mostly from Andhra, kerala and Karnataka. I think in TN they are little more conservative. Madhubala is also a bramhin i think. It is not like you don't have pretty, white skinned girls there. Just that they don't prefer acting. Apart from bramin community i have not seen anyone from TN with ane xception of Sridevi.