ICF All Time Test XI : Openers

ICF All Time Test XI : Openers  

1. 1.

good poll thread better than that similar frivalous all-time ipl team one :tounge_smile: gavaskar and hutton will do for me. gavaskar is very very highly rated by all ex-cricketers, esp bowlers and also my father's reverence for gavaskar is enough for me.:hatsoff: barry richards:hehe: how is guy who played hardly any international cricket on the list!

^He has two triple centuries and a third one (almost) which no other opener in that list has :aetsch:
He can't play swing, can't play bounce. Hardly a real test opener. Viru is good on flat tracks and has revolutionised the role of opening in test cricket by scoring quick but he is not a complete opener. He may have a some 100's in Aus and SA but he generally struggles overseas. Gayle has a triple century in SA!
good poll thread better than that similar frivalous all-time ipl team one :tounge_smile: gavaskar and hutton will do for me. gavaskar is very very highly rated by all ex-cricketers, esp bowlers and also my father's reverence for gavaskar is enough for me.:hatsoff: barry richards:hehe: how is guy who played hardly any international cricket on the list!
brah, barry richards was an extremely good batsmen, less matches dont mean he cant be on the list
He can't play swing, can't play bounce. Hardly a real test opener. Viru is good on flat tracks and has revolutionised the role of opening in test cricket by scoring quick but he is not a complete opener. He may have a some 100's in Aus and SA but he generally struggles overseas. Gayle has a triple century in SA!
completely agree with ur 1st part, but when did gayle score 300 in saf? he scored against saf in windies i guess
No he doesnt. Infact nobody has. Highest is by Gary Kirsten 275
brah' date=' barry richards was an extremely good batsmen, less matches dont mean he cant be on the list[/quote'] just checked on his stats, this guy played a grand total of 4 tests!! way to make a judgment on greatness, what's the point of having "could have been..." or "would have been...", his place could have been taken by other more deserving candidate who played more than 4 tests! this is going to set trend with the likes Peter Kirsten, Graeme Pollock, le roux, clive rice making probably appearances without playing any significant number of tests,there are other ways to acknowledged for their greatness.
just checked on his stats' date=' [i']this guy played a grand total of 4 tests!! way to make a judgment on greatness, what's the point of having "could have been..." or "would have been...", his place could have been taken by other more deserving candidate who played more than 4 tests!
I agree, 4 tests is very less count to be in the list, Barry might have been one of the best but still he should not be in the list. Infact Graeme Smith missing is a big surprise this guy averages 51 as opener in 96 Tests and also Greenidge. I would have loved to have left right combo of Smith and Sunny or mouthwatering pair of Greenidge and Sunny.
Tamaam umr ka hisaab maangti hai zindagi ye mera dil kare to kya?..ke khud se sharam-saar hai. Bhai saab you are gonna judge the greatness of 130 odd Test and 200 plus LOI by a 10 minute highlight? And then claim you pick Kapil Dev because you "saw" him play? You realize how weird that sounds? Without having a personal go at you, maybe its time you realize that your criteria of picking players based on "who I saw play or watched" is hugely compromised. Maybe next thing you gonna say is you have picked Shivlal Yadav as the offie because you never saw a clip of Erappali Prasanna on YouTube as well. :winky:
Bhai saab. It is not just videos. Stats are too on his side and when both mingles together it doesn't leave much space to think more about him. Regarding like of Hobbs. We have a bit of footage of him too and he looked an amateur and that era was completely different to what we have now. It would be just an assumption to say he would have been that good now too and I would not compare him to players now because it is an unfair comparison. I am selecting players considering how will they do now and I am not sure how Hobbs would have done now. While Kapil retired just 18 years ago. You could have said the same thing about Sunil Gavaskar as well as I have not seen him much too, but I have seen enough footage of WI quartet of fast bowlers and if this guy could have scored so many runs against them then it does not leave anything to think about. Another issue here is Hobbs, Hutton, Sutclife...all have similar test batting average while Sutclife has a marginal edge. Now tell when I have not see any of them who should I pick based on stats should it be Sutclife because of marginally better average, but Hutton has more runs. What reason should I give when I pick any one of the three because stats wise there is not much difference. As I have not seen them, I cannot assess them too and the little footage we have completely rules out Hobbs. Regarding my criteria, it is not just me, many others too have the same criteria.