Indian batting - Pataudi trophy

Bumper

So would you guys drop Sachin
Not now. But he hasnt put his place in the side beyond doubt either. He has earned his spot for the next two series. If he continues to average in the mid 30s, after the next two series, i would drop him. He should either score as consistently as Ganguly or if he is gonna average in the 30s play a BIG knock or two.
Yet the man is one of the top 3 performers (and just 35 runs away from the top performer) .... do you now understand the value of the Great man ?
Yeah same old same old cr@ptrap. In the last 25 tests(see how that number continues to climb) he now has 1288 runs@32.2 Yep I definitely fail to see the greatness of this man..and dont bother your rhetoric of 90s. In this series SRT's contribution has been easily behind KKD, Dhoni, Ganguly, Zaheer Khan, Kumble and perhaps RP Singh as well. xx
In the last 25 tests(see how that number continues to climb) he now has 1288 runs@32.2
No offence, Lurker but I think you have lost it on the Tendulkar issue. You are willing to ignore that he was the second highest scorer in South Africa, highest in Bangladesh, and third highest in England playing crucial knocks in all three series for some nonsensical stats. Amazing.

>>In this series SRT's contribution has been easily behind KKD, Dhoni, Ganguly, Zaheer >>Khan, Kumble and perhaps RP Singh as well. What is wrong with that.....The operating word is CONTRIBUTION. The greatness lies in the fact he still contributes..... Take a chill pill and enjoy the series victory

No offence' date=' Lurker but I think you have lost it on the Tendulkar issue. You are willing to ignore that he was the second highest scorer in South Africa, highest in Bangladesh, and third highest in England playing crucial knocks in all three series for some nonsensical stats. Amazing.[/quote'] Tendulkar has only made runs so far when everyone else has managed to. He has failed when everyone else have. Which blows the theory that his experience and greatness would come in handy in tricky situations. After all, isnt this the reason we pick him ahead of say, an Yuvraj ? I am surprised it doesnt worry u.
No offence' date=' Lurker but I think you have lost it on the Tendulkar issue. You are willing to ignore that he was the second highest scorer in South Africa, highest in Bangladesh, and third highest in England playing crucial knocks in all three series for some nonsensical stats. Amazing.[/quote'] lol..It would have been funny had it not been tragic. 2nd highest in South africa 3rd highest in England I mean come on mate is this Sachin we are talking about here or some random sample here. Are we going to celebrate 3rd highest now? Ridiculous. And any half cricket knowing fan should chug away the stats against BD. Even if you take just this series Sachin's contribution is worse than KKD, Dhoni, Ganguly and not better than VVS. In other words the great batsman has become a utility player. It makes me wonder if indeed Ganguly supporters had a point when they wanted SG as a utility player, someone who could bowl! Spare him, and the country, embarassment. Chug him out. xx
Tendulkar has only made runs so far when everyone else has managed to. He has failed when everyone else have. Which blows the theory that his experience and greatness would come in handy in tricky situations. After all' date=' isnt this the reason we pick him ahead of say, an Yuvraj ? I am surprised it doesnt worry u.[/quote'] Yes. Lets question Karthik, Jaffer , Dravid , Laxman too then.
lol..It would have been funny had it not been tragic. 2nd highest in South africa 3rd highest in England I mean come on mate is this Sachin we are talking about here or some random sample here. Are we going to celebrate 3rd highest now? Ridiculous. And any half cricket knowing fan should chug away the stats against BD. Even if you take just this series Sachin's contribution is worse than KKD, Dhoni, Ganguly and not better than VVS. In other words the great batsman has become a utility player. It makes me wonder if indeed Ganguly supporters had a point when they wanted SG as a utility player, someone who could bowl! Spare him, and the country, embarassment. Chug him out. xx
Here is a man , who top scored for his team in his previous test series , was instrumental in a victory over S.Africa in a keenly fought ODI series, saves the team some blushes in a warm up match by scoring 170 odd when the other batsman failed to turn up , makes a crucial 91 that set up our victory in the second test , brilliantly shepherded the middl-order paving way for the lower order to make some free runs and there are calls for him to be dropped. Woah !
I mean come on mate is this Sachin we are talking about here or some random sample here. Are we going to celebrate 3rd highest now? Ridiculous.
You are talking about Tendulkar. I am talking about whether a batsman who is your second and third highest scorer in the last two tough overseas series deserves a spot in the team or not. And no, I am not going to celebrate third highest scorer but I won't start a campaign to drop him either.
Even if you take just this series Sachin's contribution is worse than KKD, Dhoni, Ganguly and not better than VVS. In other words the great batsman has become a utility player. It makes me wonder if indeed Ganguly supporters had a point when they wanted SG as a utility player, someone who could bowl!
Karthik is an opener, can't be compared. Dhoni is a keeper, again can't be compared. So, Tendulkar has been outperformed by one middle order batsman in the series and you want him dropped? Brilliant.
Spare him, and the country, embarassment. Chug him out.
It is this hero worshiping mentality which is the problem. I don't care a damn whether he performs to his past standards or tarnishes his legacy. He deserves to play for the team as long as he is not the worst middle order batsman in the team.
Tendulkar has only made runs so far when everyone else has managed to. He has failed when everyone else have. Which blows the theory that his experience and greatness would come in handy in tricky situations. After all, isnt this the reason we pick him ahead of say, an Yuvraj ? I am surprised it doesnt worry u.
Bumper, the first innings at Trent Bridge and here at the Oval were nothing if not tricky situations. You'll obviously try to trivialize them and spin them because of your sustained "Drop Tendulkar" campaign but each and every report by experts and commentators praised those two crucial innings.
You are talking about Tendulkar. I am talking about whether a batsman who is your second and third highest scorer in the last two tough overseas series deserves a spot in the team or not. And no, I am not going to celebrate third highest scorer but I won't start a campaign to drop him either.
You are being overly generous are you not? Two tough overseas trip? The English trip was against an attack of Panesar/Trimlett/Anderson/Sidebottom. That attack, even in English condition, can be called decent at best. Tough? Hardly. The two "tough" series have come with SRT's average under 40 in both. In the two mentioned series he has scored at 35.6! And I am supposed to look at it with awe? Do I think such a batsman who averages 35 in last two series, and 32 in his last 25 tests deserves to be dropped? You bet I do.
Karthik is an opener, can't be compared. Dhoni is a keeper, again can't be compared. So, Tendulkar has been outperformed by one middle order batsman in the series and you want him dropped? Brilliant.
And pray do tell how Karthik came to the team as an opener Shwetabh? A certain Sehwag got dropped! The same Sehwag whose recent performances were NOT worst to Sachin's and the batsman who has easily won more test matches for India in past few years than Sachin himself. Sehwag got dropped, KKD gets a vacant spot and seizes his chances. So may I ask why you are so pessimistic that someone else can not take Sachin's position?
It is this hero worshiping mentality which is the problem. I don't care a damn whether he performs to his past standards or tarnishes his legacy. He deserves to play for the team as long as he is not the worst middle order batsman in the team.
Thats a load of trash, sorry. How do you define who is the best, or worst, player in a middle order of a team? The only way to go about it is if you have 4 players who are always picked. Only then you can compare who is the weakest link. So lets see who are the 4 players here. RD - in worst form of his life but as a captain will get in. Ganguly - Easily has outperformed Sachin since his comeback. Also just like Sehwag, Zaheer here is also a note to selector about why Sachin should be dropped. VVS - Has been atleast as good as Sachin if not better in last two "tough" series(your words). Averages 44 as against 36 by Sachin based on his series in SAF and England. So Shwetabh do tell me who is the weakest of the lot, if not Sachin? :sad_smile: xxx
Yes. Lets question Karthik' date=' Jaffer , Dravid , Laxman too then.[/quote'] Huh? Who doesnt question them? A bad series and KKD would be dropped. A half-bad series and Jaffer will go. Laxman gets dropped anyway. So what are we not questioning really? Everyone gets the boot except the man who has scored at a royal 32 in last 25 tests and counting! I bet that would not be any better than Mohammed Kaif and see where he is now. xx
Two tough overseas trip? The English trip was against an attack of Panesar/Trimlett/Anderson/Sidebottom. That attack, even in English condition, can be called decent at best. Tough? Hardly.
I've seen Indian teams pull off worse performances against worse attacks overseas. A tour to a country where you have not won a series for 21 years is tough. What earth shattering bowling attacks were England carrying in their ranks when we lost in '90, '96, and drew in '02?
The two "tough" series have come with SRT's average under 40 in both. In the two mentioned series he has scored at 35.6! And I am supposed to look at it with awe? Do I think such a batsman who averages 35 in last two series, and 32 in his last 25 tests deserves to be dropped? You bet I do.
Try this average eyewash over a sample size of 6 test matches with someone who knows less about statistics than I do. And yes, Tendulkar was on the line before the South Africa series but with his performances there and in England, where all cricket experts have appreciated his innings has made sure he deserves his spot.
The same Sehwag whose recent performances were NOT worst to Sachin's and the batsman who has easily won more test matches for India in past few years than Sachin himself.
Sehwag was the worst opener and got dropped. Tendulkar is not the worst batsman in the Indian middle order. Why should he get dropped?
RD - in worst form of his life but as a captain will get in.
How is captaincy a lease to keep on putting trashy performances. Didn't Ganguly get dropped for his trashy batting performances?
VVS - Has been atleast as good as Sachin if not better in last two "tough" series(your words). Averages 44 as against 36 by Sachin based on his series in SAF and England.
As I said above, please try this statistics eyewash over a sample size of 6 tests with someone who doesn't know much about statistics. After having watched both series almost ball to ball, there is no doubt that Tendulkar's innings and contributions have been better than Laxman's. All cricket commentators and experts agree with me given the praise his innings received at Trent Bridge and at the Oval.