Snubbed Kallis quits vice-captaincy

King

JACQUES Kallis has resigned as South Africa's vice-captain and is reviewing his future after being snubbed for next month's Twenty20 world championship squad. More... Snubbed Kallis quits vice-captaincy From correspondents in Durban, South Africa August 14, 2007 JACQUES Kallis has resigned as South Africa's vice-captain and is reviewing his future after being snubbed for next month's Twenty20 world championship squad. Selection convenor Joubert Strydom said Kallis is being rested for the tournament, to be played in South Africa, but the all-rounder said he is disappointed to be left out. "I have resigned as vice-captain and I'm considering my options with regard to the rest of my career," said Kallis. "I have been thinking long and hard over the weekend and there is still a lot of emotion involved because I am extremely disappointed. I was very excited about the tournament and hoping to make a huge contribution." His status as one of South Africa's greatest players is assured, but at times he has been criticised for slow batting. The 31-year-old believes he still has much to offer as a player. "I feel I have a lot of good cricket left and my best years might even be ahead of me," he said. "Ideally I would like to play many more years for my country but this weekend caused me to question my future for the first time," added Kallis, who has played 107 Tests and 261 one-day internationals.

it is understandable in kallis' case, Ravi.... playing any world cup in front of ur home crowds is any cricketers' dream and honor.... he has a reason to feel dejected... but it is a different issue that he doesnt deserve a place for tadka matches...

'I wouldn't blame Kallis if he left' Former national cricket selector Hugh Page has strong feelings about the omission of Jacques Kallis from the Proteas team for the world Twenty20 tournament. More... 'I wouldn't blame Kallis if he left' August 14 2007 at 01:31PM Former national cricket selector Hugh Page reacted strongly on Tuesday to the row that has erupted over the omission of Jacques Kallis from the Proteas team for the world Twenty20 (T20) tournament in South Africa next month. "He's our best all-rounder - he's probably the best in the world," said Page. "As host nation, it's incumbent on us to put forward our best team and it's just crazy to leave someone like Kallis out." Kallis announced on Monday that he had resigned as vice-captain of the Proteas, and was reconsidering his future in South African cricket because of his intense disappointment at being left out of the squad. "I think it would be a huge tragedy if Jacques turned his back on South African cricket, but I understand how he feels and I wouldn't blame him if he did. "Any form of international cricket is important, and it would have been a huge event for Jacques, playing in the inaugural T20 tournament in front of packed houses at home," he said. "He's coming towards the end of his career, and this may be his only chance to play in a T20 tournament. Of course he would want to be part of it, and to contribute." Page said in the long run, the credibility of cricket would be damaged by decisions like the omission of players like Kallis and fellow-Protea Andrew Hall. "Just look at the options these guys offer the team," he said. Page said he had sympathy for the new convenor of selectors, Joubert Strydom, who had to work with targets and quotas when making his selections. "The transformation of sport has done much to transform society in South Africa, but I think it is high time we were done with targets - or quotas, as I prefer to call them," he said. "I believe the future of cricket is safe - there are enough players of colour coming through the system and forcing their way into teams on merit, so we should drop the whole idea of quotas." He suggested that other players might also be reconsidering their futures. "A guy like Neil McKenzie, who has been such a loyal and faithful servant of South African cricket, or Boeta Dippenaar. These men have given great service to the game, and have been kicked in the teeth." - Sapa