So how big football is in England ?

Sehwag1830

I used to think that it is comparable to Cricket in India. Yesterday QF of Euro-2012 had 77% of entire English people watching it on TV http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a389522/england-euro-2012-penalty-heartbreak-watched-by-over-23-million.html Now compare this to 30% of India's people watching WC final on TV http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-04-07/news/29392442_1_peak-rating-highest-rating-star-cricket This stat really blew me away . Cricket in India still has to do some catching with that of football in England.

A certain %age of the Indians do not own a television. Then there are areas with power-cuts and there are people like laborers for whom earning some money is more important than WC final. You have to take all these things in account.

Football is massive in England. A lot of fans spend a lot of their earnings on following their team home and away. For sheer fanaticism, the most hardcore Indian fans are more fanatical about cricket and definitely more emotional. I have heard of Indian's committing suicide over cricket but you never hear of such things from English football fans.

A certain %age of the Indians do not own a television. Then there are areas with power-cuts and there are people like laborers for whom earning some money is more important than WC final. You have to take all these things in account.
I have taken this into account. This is why only people who own TV have been considered.

For sheer fanaticism, the most hardcore Indian fans are more fanatical about cricket and definitely more emotional. I have heard of Indian's committing suicide over cricket but you never hear of such things from English football fans.
Odd case. I have seen English fans crying when Man City won EPL. You won't see this in IPL.

football is followed in england from late 19th century around 1870`s...in india cricket was grossly followed from around 1970`s i guess...so its still gaining popularity nd followers will grow a lot with time..

Football is massive in England. A lot of fans spend a lot of their earnings on following their team home and away. For sheer fanaticism, the most hardcore Indian fans are more fanatical about cricket and definitely more emotional. I have heard of Indian's committing suicide over cricket but you never hear of such things from English football fans.
English fans kill other fans

it may be big but the national team hasn't won anything of note for over 40 years :hehe:
but the clubs have won champions league nd europa league in those years..people are more devoted to their clubs, they support it to max