Khan in to top 10

Batsmen ------------- 1. R. Ponting 936 2. M. Yousuf 915 3. K. Sangakkara 900 4. K. Pietersen 872 5. M. Hussey 842 6. M. Hayden 828 7. J. Kallis 820 8. Younis Khan 789 9. S Chanderpaul 762 10. A Prince 755 Changes: Dravid out. Prince in. -------- Bowlers --------- 1. M. Muralitharan 920 2. Makhaya Ntini 856 3. Shaun Pollock 730 4. Shane Bond 722 5. Stuart Clark 720 6. M. Asif 710 7. Anil Kumble 702 8. Matt Hoggard 700 9. Shoaib Akhtar 698 10. Zaheer Khan 678 Changes: Panesar out. Zaheer in.

I take your point, Donny. Isn't it ironic that two back to back overseas wins against non-minnows have been built on the back of team efforts, allied with decline of the superstar batsmen? There was a time when we Indian fans used to console ourselves by browsing through the individual ratings. Not any more.

The ratings are a formula, dsr. Not someone's opinion. They work the same for every player from every country. Yes, Dhondy. I'm very much for the team effort mentality/ethic/attitude. All chipping in. My teams were very successful because I really encouraged individual excellence - as long as it enhanced the team performance. I had no superstars/prima donnas because they knew any of that behaviour would see them out of the team or batting at #11 and permanent fine leg duty. :wink_smile: Gambo, Bond has worked his way back up the list with 28 wickets in his last 5 Tests in the last 2 years. Like any other player, he loses points if he misses a Test, for any reason. He's missed 4 of the 9 Tests NZ has played in the last 2 years.

Players like Katich, Pathan, Gillespie, Rudolph, Harbhajan, Flintoff, Agarkar, Kasprowicz, Samaraweera etc. are all still on the ratings lists because they are all still available for their countries but they lose 1% of their points for each Test they miss. Players like Warne, Lara, McGrath and Langer disappeared as soon as they retired. Zubin, Akhtar was at # 2 in 2004. He's played 13 Tests since then but has been losing points every time he's missed a Test. You'll see he has 698 points at the moment. That has dropped steadily from his best of 855.