Aussie captains messing up

Two recent balls up by aussie captains come to mind. Waugh in 2001 Kolkata test totally facking up and enforcing the follow on when his players were shattered and then losing the match and the series. This was a shocking decision by Waugh. When Gilchrist totally messed up and declared setting a target which Butcher got smashing the aussies everywhere! Aussies captains at their worst!

You can't fault the 1st decision. It needed 1 player to play the innings of his life and probably one of the best ever. Not to forget that bhajjis bowling was again one of the best bowling performance seen on a cricket field. 2 miracles had to happen and numerous records had to be broken for India to win that test match. Not many overs were left in the game either. Something like that happens once in a blue moon. If a captain has to take miracles into account then no team will ever declare or try to up the run rate in a test match. I dont remember the 2nd one to comment on it but I'll tell you what kinda decisions cost us games. 96WC semis- Azhar and Co decided to field when the groundsmen begged him not to Eng test last year Headingly test - Yeah we won it, but it wasnt a good decision to bat in those conditions. Match against BD in the WC - Dravid underestimating BD. None of these decisions alone can cost a team the game, but the advantage of winning the toss was lost (Ofcourse in all these game, we cd have lost the toss and end up in the same situation.).

The other one dsr mentioned was the 4th. Test in 2001 which Australia went into with a 3-0 series lead. Gilchrist won the toss and batted. Oz scored 447 @ 4.47 r.p.o. and dismissed England for 309. He declared the second innings at 4/176, setting a sporting target of 315 for England in 92 overs. By sporting, I mean both teams could win. Mark Butcher played an excellent innings to be 173 n.o. and England got home by 6 wickets. Butcher deservedly won the Man of the Match award. I thought it was an excellent declaration and I completely enjoyed the chase. :regular_smile: Australia won the series 4-1. Some comments from the BBC Sports: Settle down folks, it's time to stop deluding ourselves. The Aussies had nothing to lose by making a game of it. Once again England can only beat the old enemy when the real prize is lost. Throughout the series our batting has been too fragile, our bowling has lacked depth and we have dropped too many catches. Not good enough, in other words and certainly not good enough to justify all this hype after one meaningless win. Tony Metcalf, England Mark Butcher's performance against the world's greatest ever Test side was fabulous. Just as pleasing was the splendid attitude of the Australians under Adam Gilchrist's leadership. They were forceful but never intimidating (as previous Australian sides have often been) and showed excellent sportsmanship throughout. Congratulations to Adam Gilchrist for bringing some life into poor, battered cricket. Kevin Donnelly, UK Hat's off to the Aussies for playing positive cricket and making a go of what should really have been a draw. Peter Strydom , South Africa greyquoteleft.gifYes, it was a great day's cricket and Butcher's innings was sensational but I am afraid I'm not fooled. For the fifth Ashes series in a row we have won a dead match and celebrated as if we had won the Urn itself. One hollow victory is small compensation for a summer of humiliating thrashings But England were easy meat - again. Today's result is sadly meaningless. Robert, England Good for cricket. Great innings by Butcher. Australia have now played out 22 results in their last 22 matches. They deserve credit for giving themselves and England a chance to win and for giving the crowd something to get excited about. However, I hope England have to take 20 wickets before they beat us again! Daryl, Australia What a sensational result for the English Cricket. Australia are one of the greatest ever Test sides and to pull that out on the final day was extraordinary. All praise to Nasser Hussain's leadership and a sensational innings by Mark Butcher. Stuart , Australia Well done England and Mark Butcher. It was a fantastic effort and good for the game. Despite the loss, I think Gilchrist was spot on to declare. It was positive decisions like that which allowed us to win the most consecutive Test matches in a row. It will always backfire sometimes, I'm just glad the Ashes were already under wraps when England rediscovered their form. Dan, Australia

The reason why AUS lost those 2 matches is the exact why reason why they win so many matches...AKA positive attitude. I remember a couple of years ago AUS was 1 nil up in the series against SA and on the final day of the last test match they needed a big target(dont remember exactly how many) but insteading of playing for a draw they went for the win and got it with time and 8 wickers to spare.

dsr' date=' i don't think they care about that series anymore. Remember - they avenged that defeat in '04, when they left India with a 1-2 win.[/quote'] What cos they won in 2004 it means that Waugh did not fack up(he was not captain in 2004 so maybe thats why they won). Why are people so scared to say that S Waugh facked up as capatain in 2001 series and cos of his brain fart they lost the series!

MP, first declaration had nothing to do with positive attitude. Prior to that disaster, enforcing a follow-on was pretty normal, IIRC. Anyways I am thankful to the aussies for that decision as it gave us our most memorable test win and helped us continue our home dominance over them for 35 years.

What cos they won in 2004 it means that Waugh did not fack up(he was not captain in 2004 so maybe thats why they won). Why are people so scared to say that S Waugh facked up as capatain in 2001 series and cos of his brain fart they lost the series!
Yeah, he underestimated the Indians when he enforced the follow-on. It was a screw-up, but not one which you can use a stick to beat him with because he was still a very successful captain. What are you trying to prove, mate ?
The reason why AUS lost those 2 matches is the exact why reason why they win so many matches...AKA positive attitude. I remember a couple of years ago AUS was 1 nil up in the series against SA and on the final day of the last test match they needed a big target(dont remember exactly how many) but insteading of playing for a draw they went for the win and got it with time and 8 wickers to spare.
Never denied they have positive attitude blah blah. Point is if S Waugh if he could go back in time, what would he do? Let me tell you what he would do! HE WOULD BAT AGAIN! He facked up and cost them the series. Point is if Gilchrist could go back in time what would he do? He would have batted on and declared much letter. They both facked up as captains. Why cant people just admit it? We all repsect the aussies as a cricket team but they FACK up as well even their captains!
Yeah' date=' he underestimated the Indians when he enforced the follow-on. It was a screw-up, but not one which you can use a stick to beat him with because he was still a very successful captain. What are you trying to prove, mate ?[/quote'] That S Waugh facked up and should have batted on. His decision cost them the series on what they had termed "the final frontier". What a balls up!
That S Waugh facked up and should have batted on. His decision cost them the series on what they had termed "the final frontier". What a balls up!
So ? He won 72% of his tests and a World Cup in 1999. One balls up doesn't change the fact that he is one of the greatest captains that ever lived.
Point is if S Waugh if he could go back in time, what would he do? Let me tell you what he would do! HE WOULD BAT AGAIN! He facked up and cost them the series. Point is if Gilchrist could go back in time what would he do? He would have batted on and declared much letter. They both facked up as captains. Why cant people just admit it?
Keep trying. This is quite amusing. Both Gilly and Tugga would do the same thing if they had the choice again.