Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

This. Unfortunately its an image which Microsoft has cultivated over the years because of releasing shyte products like Windows Me and Vista which had a host of problems. The more popular versions lke XP and Windows 7 have rarely crashed on me. Its not that they never crash, but much less than people make them out to be.
What? Why would a company cultivate that image?? It's more like that the reputation is based on real world experience of the products in the wild.

That statement says it all. Any defense of Windows with regard to crashing can only be positioned against the most extreme of viewpoints.
I am ready to accept that Windows machines do crash and have crashed in the past. At the same time, I readily acknowledge the latest versions of Windows are extremely reliable. Mac users don´t even want to acknowledge that their computers are prone to system failures. And let´s not go into the frustratingly slow experiences of Mac products in the late 1990´s, that argument is long lost :winky:

What? Why would a company cultivate that image?? It's more like that the reputation is based on real world experience of the products in the wild.
I meant that the image arises due to products like Me and Vista which crashed a lot and then spills over to the entire windows line. Their main products like XP and especially Windows 7 are very stable. I wouldnt say Linux stable, but enough to encounter crashes maybe once or twice in an year.

^ Here's my contention: Windows apologists have to invoke the XP was a sh!te wrong turn and ME was an unfortunate release clauses to make Windows look good. But when we talk mac we say mac, because the whole mac experience which includes the hardware and the os as a contiguous experience. There are no equivalent mac user excuses which say that os 8 was not good when it was launched, or os 7 was perfect. X leopard was sorted when it was launched, as was the case with lion and snow leopard. Built on a stable unix core since day one, however the OS - User experience is pure mac.

I am ready to accept that Windows machines do crash and have crashed in the past. At the same time, I readily acknowledge the latest versions of Windows are extremely reliable. Mac users donŽ´t even want to acknowledge that their computers are prone to system failures. And letŽ´s not go into the frustratingly slow experiences of Mac products in the late 1990Ž´s, that argument is long lost :winky:
lol arguing for argument's sake. Chalo i too am a little lukha for a few hours... What are these slow experiences and where is it documented? I used the ibook when it was the in thing and it was out-blazing as any other high-end pc of that time. However this whole route that you are taking reminds me of a paki supporter talking about paki's kicking india's ass in the 90s in order to rubbish current reality of today. lol

^ not living in the 90s is relevant how? And I have used every release of ms from DOS 3 thru MSDOS 6, windows from Windows 3.2, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 95, 98, XP. ms can have all the marketshare it wants. It is welcome to the fools who are married to the architecture. I can only pity them as I do the low-rent paying tenants of those old, ramshackle heritage buildings in colaba.

Superman what do you use your computer for? 99% of users start computer and start their browser. As long as you have a safe browser IE9+ or opera or firefox or chrome, you should be fine with any operating system. Almost every operating system crash in Windows is due to default device drivers or flash. So use only reputed hardware brands and switch to html5.

lol arguing for argument's sake. Chalo i too am a little lukha for a few hours... What are these slow experiences and where is it documented? I used the ibook when it was the in thing and it was out-blazing as any other high-end pc of that time. However this whole route that you are taking reminds me of a paki supporter talking about paki's kicking india's ass in the 90s in order to rubbish current reality of today. lol
Perfect analogy for your argument. I am ready to accept that Microsoft made mistakes. I don´t care about the crap they released in the 90´s since it is no longer relevant, you are the one that keeps bringing it up. Chalo, whatever rocks your boat :winky:

^ Here's my contention: Windows apologists have to invoke the XP was a sh!te wrong turn and ME was an unfortunate release clauses to make Windows look good. But when we talk mac we say mac, because the whole mac experience which includes the hardware and the os as a contiguous experience. There are no equivalent mac user excuses which say that os 8 was not good when it was launched, or os 7 was perfect. X leopard was sorted when it was launched, as was the case with lion and snow leopard. Built on a stable unix core since day one, however the OS - User experience is pure mac.
Of course Me and Vista were wrong turns. They were discarded as soon as their shortcomings became apparent. Its a false equivalence to portray Me's problems and attributing them to entire Windows line, especially Windows XP. Here is an OS which has run close to 80-85% of the world's computers for close to 12 years and it is still going strong. Win 7 has no reliability issues whatsoever and has got the thumbs up from critics as well. Mac OS does perform better than Microsoft's operating systems. But for me, it doesnt score above Linux. Hence given the price difference and compatibility issues, a high end PC with both Windows and Linux solves all my consumer needs for both professional and personal use, and works out to be far cheaper as well.

Superman what do you use your computer for? 99% of users start computer and start their browser. As long as you have a safe browser IE9+ or opera or firefox or chrome' date=' you should be fine with any operating system. Almost every operating system crash in Windows is due to default device drivers or flash. So use only reputed hardware brands and switch to html5.[/quote'] Whatever the reason for the crashes, it doesn't happen on a mac. So for the use that you speak of the mac will rule over windows. It only gets crazy when code-jockeys bring up 'oh but you cannot do any work on a mac' as if the only work done on comps is writing code.

Pravin, you seem to be confusing cause and effect. Microsoft released crap products in the 90s. Yeah OK, I agree. At the same time, I think that argument is no longer relevant as the latest versions of Windows are extremely stable. Unless you are stuck in a time warp and are using Windows ME, I see no reason to complain about the present day Windows Vista or Windows 7. I moved from Microsoft to Apple since my requirements changed. Happens to people over time.

Whatever the reason for the crashes' date=' it doesn't happen on a mac. So for the use that you speak of the mac will rule over windows. It only gets crazy when code-jockeys bring up 'oh but you cannot do any work on a mac' as if the only work done on comps is writing code.[/quote'] Everyone talks about their own use. So to a .NET developer, not being able to code on a Mac makes it useless for any work related purpose. Similarly, graphics designers big up Mac as if its the only machine which can run Adobe Creative suite yet they prefer Mac because they like to work on it. About the crashing part, it isn't even relevant considering that Windows 7 crashes very rarely.

Mac doesnt beat Linux both in terms of stability or security. My Ubuntu has never crashed on me- ever and there has not been a single virus attack despite having no AV software. Serious vulnerabilities are patched within hours by the Linux community. Windows however is indispensable when it comes to work and gaming. Longevity isnt exclusive to Mac. My PC has been running for the last 5 years without any hitch whatsoever. The only time that I had to get something replaced was the optical drive.
I never tossed a PC out because it was not working. I switched to new PC mostly for faster processors. The one PC i bought in 2001 is still good functionally. Just that it has pentium processor. Only once i had my Desktop PC failed it was because of huge power surge. A cheap desktop.

About the crashing part' date=' it isn't even relevant considering that Windows 7 crashes very rarely.[/quote'] In before Pravin goes round and round in circles about how present day Windows are not good enough since older versions of Windows were crash prone.

I never tossed a PC out because it was not working. I switched to new PC mostly for faster processors. The one PC i bought in 2001 is still good functionally. Just that it has pentium processor. Only once i had my Desktop PC failed it was because of huge power surge. A cheap desktop.
Me too. the desktop which I replaced in 2010, was because it had gotten too slow and the processor wasnt able to support the latest software. So I spent around 17K and got a new cabinet and it has worked since then.

Pravin, you seem to be confusing cause and effect. Microsoft released crap products in the 90s. Yeah OK, I agree. At the same time, I think that argument is no longer relevant as the latest versions of Windows are extremely stable. Unless you are stuck in a time warp and are using Windows ME, I see no reason to complain about the present day Windows Vista or Windows 7. I moved from Microsoft to Apple since my requirements changed. Happens to people over time.
Windows Vista was crap but windows 7 is efficient.