Windows 8 installation - help needed for a dummy

Precambrian

I am a dummy when it comes to computers - but I am genuinely interested in trying out win 8. However I read that if I install it, I cannot uninstall. I don't happen to have my recovery CD (although my lap OS is genuine preinstalled windows 7 home basic). Can someone please guide me how to create partition etc and install this?

Thanks what is the min memory needed?
How much memory do you have? Technically Win7 should be able to run only on 512 MB memory and win 8 requires 1 GB or 2GB depending on whether you are trying 32bit or 64 bit. However if you have just the minimum specs you may not be able to do other stuff (Like browsing). If you have atleast 3GB you should be able to give it a try. If it is sluggish you can always delete the virtual machine. 4GB should be more than enough.

How much memory do you have? Technically Win7 should be able to run only on 512 MB memory and win 8 requires 1 GB or 2GB depending on whether you are trying 32bit or 64 bit. However if you have just the minimum specs you may not be able to do other stuff (Like browsing). If you have atleast 3GB you should be able to give it a try. If it is sluggish you can always delete the virtual machine. 4GB should be more than enough.
thanks I've 4 GB memory...

thanks mate
Get 64-bit version then.
Yep
Put the installation CD in the CD Drive and say " Bill Gates" three times in quick succession with your right hand placed on your heart. Windows 8 khudbakhud install ho jayega.
Where do I get the CD frm - issue is I dont want to instll it permanently

Last time I checked there was no CD/DVD.. you have to install on top of your existing system (over internet). And can uninstall later on. So, if you do not want to touch your current system.. install win7 in a Virtual Box or on separate partition, and upgrade that to Windows 8.

Earlier I did not look hard enough (did not even try, beyond warez search) Here is the link for iso downloads http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso check whether your system is 64 bit or 32 - download appropriate iso. then burn the iso on a DVD... if you are willing to try in Virtual Box, then you do not even need to burn DVD. For installing on separate partition, you need to tell more about your current configuration. How many partitions already there, free space available etc. P.S. At the bottom of the same page, there are instructions to burn iso - both for DVD, and pen drive.. you can choose either of the methods to create required boot media.