Harbhajan English County Performance Monitor

:bhangra:

Essex snap up Harbhajan Singh Essex have pulled off a major coup after they announced the signing of veteran India spinner Harbhajan Singh for the second half of the season. Harbhajan is set to link up with the county in the next couple of weeks and is scheduled to make his first appearance in the LV= County Championship Division Two clash with Gloucestershire at Cheltenham on July 11. The spinner, who turns 32 on Tuesday, will then play a further seven championship and Clydesdale Bank 40 games as Essex seek to improve upon a decidedly average first half of the season. With just one four-day win in their eight opening matches, the Chelmsford outfit are perhaps a touch fortunate to still have an outside chance of promotion as they lie 21 points adrift of second-placed Kent. The experienced Harbhajan will give their bowling attack valuable experience having taken 406 Test scalps for India, which puts him in the top 10 of highest wicket-takers in history. Essex head coach Paul Grayson said: "We are delighted to have signed one of the best spinners in world cricket over the last 10 years or so. "Harbhajan is a great character who is a match winner and I believe that his winning mentality will rub off on the rest of the playing squad at Essex. "I am really excited at the prospect of having him in the squad and this signing for the second half of the season shows that Essex mean business and will continue to fight in the LV= County Championship and Clydesdale Bank 40 formats of the game." Harbhajan impressed at Chelmsford 10 years ago when he took seven for 83 and one for 23 as Essex drew with India. However, his last trip to England was a forgettable one as India slumped to a 4-0 whitewash in the Test series, with Harbhajan taking just two wickets in 69.4 overs at an average of 143.5 before missing the final two matches with a stomach injury.

Harbhajan English County Performance Monitor Harbhajan goes wicketless in debut match for Essex CHELTENHAM (UK): Bidding to make a comeback to the Indian cricket team, off-spinner Harbhajan Singh on Thursday went wicketless in his first county match of the season for Essex as Gloucestershire piled up 284 for four at the College Ground. Harbhajan conceded 33 runs in the 12 overs he bowled on the first two days of his debut match for Essex. The turbanator, who has been left in the cold for over a year now, is seeking to return to the side ahead of the World T20 in September. The 32-year-old, who has taken 683 international wickets from 98 Tests and 227 one-day internationals, has been left out of the India squad since last summer's disastrous tour to England. Harbhajan's previous county stints have been with Surrey in 2004 and 2007, following which he made it to the India squad for the inaugural edition of the World T20, in South Africa. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Harbhajan-goes-wicketless-in-debut-match-for-Essex/articleshow/14855384.cms

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: No but he will get wickets, its 2nd division too I think. It's bad if gets wickets because people might think he has returned to form. Better he does us all a favour and continues to struggle. I hope he hits a few centuries though :two_thumbs_up: Is he playing the T20 stuff for essex? He could be good. Keep it tight and hit a few blows.

Looked at the scorecard for this match and found that an Indian S Ravi is officiating a County FC match! Good to see. IIRC we had some English umpires during the Ranji season as well. Looks like an exchange program between the two boards. Hopefully some of our umpires will also make use of these chances to improve. As for Bhajji, he has done well at the county level in the past, no reason to believe he will not be able to do it again.

Looked at the scorecard for this match and found that an Indian S Ravi is officiating a County FC match! Good to see. IIRC we had some English umpires during the Ranji season as well. Looks like an exchange program between the two boards. Hopefully some of our umpires will also make use of these chances to improve. As for Bhajji, he has done well at the county level in the past, no reason to believe he will not be able to do it again.
Agreed. I would rather have an in-form bhajji in my test team. He brings a lot to the table.