Looking at the future

kabira

Our pace bowling resources are at all time high. SS, ZK, RPS, MP, IP, Balaji etc will be playing for next 5-6 years. Now we need our Fab 4 to carry on as long as they can. Sachin 2 years max. Gangs and Dravid 2 years max and Laxman 4 years. It will be good if they stop playing ODIs..ODI is good place to find replacement for them. I think its good for Fab 4 and team in long run if they retire from ODIs.

i think these players must play selective games...and sachin should not play in useless bilateral matches involving BD, ZIM, ENG,NZ...he should only play against AUS, PAK, SA and SL... Ganguly can do the donkey work of playing in all the games..as long as he is fit and in form...he hardly has got 18 months of cricket..let him enjoy himself... Dravid too should play selective games...and these players should try to groom junior players..and more over..ODIs are mostly masala games unless the opponent is Pak or AUS...or SA. i have very high hopes from Irfan pathan...he is a must for a balanced ODI outfit...BUT he must find his form and fitness... or we need an all rounder..who can merit a place as batsman and as a bowler..

Absolutely, a very good thread here...If we go round robin and play Yuv consistently for next 3 years, at least we would find one to replace them, When they are sure, drop the senior after every six months. So SG/VVS - end of next year 2008 SRT - Middle of 2009 RD - end of 2009. I hate to compare Sehwag with fab 4. He doesn't have skills to hang around for entire day. Like your have a day and a session to play out with the target of 500 runs, it is wise to play out all the overs rather than think of scoring runs... KKD Jaffy, Tiwari/Gambhir Yuv..... Sehwag Dhoni I Pathan (as a batting all rounder) I wouldn't bring Kaif anywhere close to this team. I dont hear him play some county or something. He should do that before he is considered. I think Tiwari and Gambhir should be targeted. My only trouble is this doesn;t look a Test team at all to win matches. I mean they could but they will miserably lose at times as not many of them know how to handle moving ball. They look more like ODI team to me. Bowling is not a problem for now.

kabira - agreed ... one can win matches with slightly spotty batting coupled with very good to excellent bowling. Pak has shown that repeatedly ...... it will be interesting to see how they manage the exists of all the seniors. our past history does augur well

Our pace bowling resources are at all time high. SS, ZK, RPS, MP, IP, Balaji etc will be playing for next 5-6 years. Now we need our Fab 4 to carry on as long as they can. Sachin 2 years max. Gangs and Dravid 2 years max and Laxman 4 years. It will be good if they stop playing ODIs..ODI is good place to find replacement for them. I think its good for Fab 4 and team in long run if they retire from ODIs.
Agree.... We need to use them selectively and prolong their participation atleast till we get some consistant performance from the young brigade. I have great hopes from Kartick and dhoni...may not be replacements...but if they perform consistantly .then the change may be less traumatic. We also need to groom some quality spinners.

I think they should all have retired from ODIs after the WC We need them to maximise their test form, and we need to seriously groom players for WC 2011- hopefully none of the fab 4 will be there The team that played vs Scotland is a good young side, they should be given a long run in ODIs- wont happen though- selectors dont have the testicular fortitude. GG, Uthappa- good agressive left/right combo at the top- both need to prove themselves at Intl level but need the oppotunity really Uthappa can field too. Kartik at 3 for me, good accumulator and can handle the enw ball Yuv at 4, agressive mid order bat, MSD and 5 and Raina at 6- id really like to see him play again- not sure how hes been doing in Domestics- with the likes of Sharma and Tiwary on the bench. MSD and Raina can potentially be great at chasing down big totals Hopefully IKP will resemble the player we knw he can be soon- The harayana all rounder Joginder can be more than useful- i think he should be tried consistently Zak, Munaf,Piyush, Powar- not a bad pace attack- can blow hot and cold. In the right conditions Piyush/Powar willbe good- Aggy wil be around, him Powar and Piyush offer depth with the bat Good fielding side too Whos going to captain though...