Aussie crowd abuse just spurs me on - Murali

King

Muttiah Muralitharan has warned that any abuse from Australian crowds will only spur him to break Shane Warne's world record in Sri Lanka's cricket tour to Australia later this year. More... Aussie crowd abuse just spurs me on - Murali August 16 2007 at 08:49AM Sydney - Muttiah Muralitharan has warned that any abuse from Australian crowds will only spur him to break Shane Warne's world record in Sri Lanka's cricket tour here later this year. The heavily-scrutinised Sri Lankan spinner has dared Australian fans to heckle him as he chases the nine wickets he needs to pass Warne's world record tally of 708 in the Australian great's own backyard. Sri Lanka take on the world champion Australians in Tests in Brisbane and Hobart in November and a one-day tri-series with India and Australia early next year. "He is comfortable with what Australia is like," Muralitharan's manager Kushil Gunasekera told Melbourne's Herald-Sun newspaper Thursday. "He understands the harassment given by spectators will only make him more inspired and motivated. It will help him bowl better. "Murali is happy to be taking on that challenge because Australia is a real test. He will come to Australia." But while Muralitharan is within touching distance of Warne's record, he has a poor record playing on Australian wickets. In three Tests in Australia, Muralitharan has taken eight wickets at 63.12. Muralitharan has endured a turbulent relationship with Australian crowds since he was no-balled for throwing by Australian umpire Darrell Hair in the 1995 Boxing Day Test in Melbourne. After the 2005-06 tri-series, Muralitharan claimed Australian crowds were the world's worst and a disgrace to cricket. He had vowed in 2003 he would never return to Australia after the abuse he received during the one-day series. Even Australian Prime Minister John Howard labelled him a chucker. Sri Lanka play Australia in Brisbane from November 8-12.

Oh, good evening, dsr. I didn't notice you. I'll say it one more time and that's it. I'm not a spokesman for Ricky Ponting or the Aussie cricket team. Nor will I comment on the small number of idiots in any crowd in any country the media choses to paint as being 'the Australian crowd/s' or 'the Indian crowd/s'. Similarly, I do not judge the whole ICF membership by your posts. :regular_smile:

Oh, good evening, dsr. I didn't notice you. I'll say it one more time and that's it. I'm not a spokesman for Ricky Ponting or the Aussie cricket team. Nor will I comment on the small number of idiots in any crowd in any country the media choses to paint as being 'the Australian crowd/s' or 'the Indian crowd/s'. Similarly, I do not judge the whole ICF membership by your posts. :regular_smile:
Well thats evasive. More slippery then Alistair Campbell. Not asking you to be a spokesman, just your views. You are allowed to criticise austarlia and their cricketers. You seem very keen to hammer india at every given opportuinty. Very slippery