Umesh Yadav - As brainless as ever

I am beginning to get disappointed in Umesh. The guy has so many things on his side - physique, speed etc. but mentally he still doesn't get it. We saw in Aus in Tests that he bowled a few good deliveries but then gave a couple of boundary balls every over. You simply can't do that if you want to succeed at Test level. In the tri series that followed it was the same with Umesh not even completing his quota and going at a RR of over 7 an over with his figures around 0-50 in 6 or 7 overs. One would have hoped he would have learnt something but against SL it's the same story all over again. Granted he hasn't bowled many overs but eerily he has looked just the same as he was in Aus. He simply runs in and hurls the ball as fast as he can - which so far isn't that fast either. I mean if you can't learn from your mistakes what good is a fast bowler? Every single time Umesh bowls in a odi, his first 2-3 overs go for 8-10 an over and rest of the game he's trying to catch up but without much impact. Somebody should have a word with him and ask him to simply to bowl on one spot on or around off and forget everything else. Right now seeing him start 0/20 in 2-3 overs everytime is not what our team can afford.

Yes' date=' lets bring in Vinay kumar and Shreenath Aravind....:winky:[/quote'] Don't know man but in Aus odi series Vinny Koomar outbowled Umesh by some distance. If this is what Umesh brings to the table consistently I would rather have Vinny Koomar or maybe somebody new like Awana. Can anyone tell whether Umesh has ever managed to complete his quota in an odi game?
Just 2 overs. And he could've got a key wicket here if they hadn't dropped Sanga.
It's not about the 2 overs but the consistent pattern which I am concerned about. Everytime he starts off with figures of 0-16 or -20 in his first 2 overs. Granted a catch was dropped off his bowling but he's never consistent in his line & length. Even on pitches helpful for bowling (Aus & here) he is all over the place and never actually puts pressure on the batsmen. What's the point if he gets the wkts once the game is already won or when batsmen need to go at 8-9 an over? Most of the bowlers can get wkts in that scenario. Umesh at this point simply can't put pressure on batsmen and get wkts.
Don't know man but in Aus odi series Vinny Koomar outbowled Umesh by some distance. If this is what Umesh brings to the table consistently I would rather have Vinny Koomar or maybe somebody new like Awana. Can anyone tell whether Umesh has ever managed to complete his quota in an odi game?
Vinay has actually bowled very well in ODIs especially in first 15 overs. He can't bowl in death overs. Earlier Dhoni was doing right thing by giving ball to Umesh when there was no fielding restriction. Probably that's best way to use him.
Why are you surprised? He is mainly a test bowler. Aaron is more a LOI. Yadav will get wickets though like at death e.t.c but he isn't a ODI/T20 bowler to me.
I would actually be happy if he was a good Test bowler. A good Test bowler is like Hilfenhaus who keeps it tight. Yadav can't do that so he can't be termed as a Test bowler. A "Test" bowler doesn't mean he can be like a loose cannon and bowl like a broken radar. The very fact that Sehwag is bowling and most probably covering his quota after Umesh has bowled only 2 overs says it all.
Vinay has actually bowled very well in ODIs especially in first 15 overs. He can't bowl in death overs. Earlier Dhoni was doing right thing by giving ball to Umesh when there was no fielding restriction. Probably that's best way to use him.
Well said. Vinny Koomar just like PK was earlier, bowled pretty well with the new ball. I guess we need to let Ashwin bowl at the death and Vinny Koomar with the new ball. If a fast bowler can't be used to bowl with the new ball in power-plays when field is up, what good is he in the team?
I would actually be happy if he was a good Test bowler. A good Test bowler is like Hilfenhaus who keeps it tight. Yadav can't do that so he can't be termed as a Test bowler. A "Test" bowler doesn't mean he can be like a loose cannon and bowl like a broken radar. The very fact that Sehwag is bowling and most probably covering his quota after Umesh has bowled only 2 overs says it all.
What I mean is he has most chance to succeed at test level than other formats. In test cricket yes he can be wayward but not as much. He finds it easier to settle into a rhythm because there is less urgency from batsmen. Against Australia he bowled well in the test series before fading. Dhoni should let him bowl at least 5 to let him try and settle down. We only have 1-2 bowlers who can bowl in all 3 formats.
Somebody should have a word with him and ask him to simply to bowl on one spot on or around off and forget everything else. Right now seeing him start 0/20 in 2-3 overs everytime is not what our team can afford.
That's the problem. We don't have that "someone" in our cricketing set-up, as far as fast bowlers are concerned. Never have.
Wicket. The ball moved off the pitch. He is gonna be a wicket taker. We need to invest in him.
Yes we need to invest in him but somewhere down the line he needs to be given a message he can't start off like a warm-up/nets in his first spell. In Aus, where WC will be played, the totals would be around 240-260 and you can't afford to have a poor spell. You have to build pressure right from the get go as you won't get the luxury of defending 300+ there and you will have to generate the pressure yourself rather than depending on your batting unit.
That's the problem. We don't have that "someone" in our cricketing set-up' date=' as far as fast bowlers are concerned. Never have.[/quote'] I was hoping Zak would groom him before he retires. If Zak could pass on his knowledge and bowling smarts to folks like Umesh, Awana, Pathan, Aaron etc. it would be awesome.
lolwut spoke too soon OP. strong essay is strong it had only been 2 overs
But my point was about his first spell :dontknow: Even if he takes a 5-fer it won't change the point that Umesh almost always goes for runs when he starts and we can't afford that in Aus where we won't have luxury of defending 300+. In a low to medium scoring game, your premier fast bowler starting with 0-16 or 0-20 in 2 overs can cost you the game.
Don't count on it. Look at Ishant.
That's the most disappointing part for an In dian fan - the lack of progress Ishant has shown. Compare Ishant with the likes of Broad, Finn, Tremlett etc. and the progress they have shown. Back in 2007-08 Ishant was ahead of Broad and now he's not even in the same level :sad: