Sign in to follow this  
Cricketics

Tennis at the 2012 London Olympics

Well federer has a record to be a double Golden Slam champ...the first ever....surpsrising that he has never won a single Grandslam doubles tournament Maybe once he acheives this dream...and with him getting older....he can conquer thes world of doubles next

^Ya i was just going to ask that.Is there a possibility the doubles match could be played today itself if Serena wraps up this match soon (which seems likely). Or is the Paes/Sania game definitely postponed to tomorrow regardless of the result of the match

Well federer has a record to be a double Golden Slam champ...the first ever....surpsrising that he has never won a single Grandslam doubles tournament Maybe once he acheives this dream...and with him getting older....he can conquer thes world of doubles next
Isn't Golden Slam what Graf did in '88 winning all 4 Grand Slams and the Olympic Gold in the same year?

Isn't Golden Slam what Graf did in '88 winning all 4 Grand Slams and the Olympic Gold in the same year?
No. AFAIK winning all 4 Slams and Olympic Gold in an entire career is a Golden Slam. Only Agassi, Nadal and Graff have manged that so far.

Career Golden Slam A player who wins all four Grand Slam tournaments and the Olympic gold medal during his or her career is said to have achieved a Career Golden Slam. Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_%28tennis%29#Career_Golden_Slam I guess winning it in a calender year makes it even more special

A player who wins all four Grand Slam tournaments and the Olympic gold medal during his or her career is said to have achieved a Career Golden Slam. Singles players who won a Career Golden Slam (a singles Career Grand Slam plus the Olympic gold medal in singles): Steffi Graf (1987 French Open, 1988 Australian Open, 1988 Wimbledon Championships, 1988 Olympic gold medal, & 1988 US Open) (as mentioned above, added a Calendar Year Golden Slam by winning her second consecutive French Open in 1988) Andre Agassi (1992 Wimbledon, 1994 US Open, 1995 Australian Open, 1996 Olympic gold medal, & 1999 French Open) Rafael Nadal (2005 French Open, 2008 Wimbledon, 2008 Olympic gold medal, 2009 Australian Open, & 2010 US Open) Doubles teams that won a Career Golden Slam (a doubles team Career Grand Slam & the Olympic gold medal in doubles): Todd Woodbridge & Mark Woodforde (1992 Australian Open, 1992 US Open, 1993 Wimbledon, 1996 Olympic gold medal, & 2000 French Open) Serena Williams & Venus Williams (1999 French Open, 1999 US Open, 2000 Wimbledon, 2000 Olympic gold medal, & 2001 Australian Open) Individual doubles players who won a Career Golden Slam: Pam Shriver: partnering Martina Navratilova to win 1981 Wimbledon Championships, 1982 Australian Open, 1983 US Open, 1984 French Open; and partnering Zina Garrison to win the 1988 Olympic Gold Medal. Gigi Fernández: partnering Robin White to win the 1988 US Open; partnering Jana Novotná to win the 1991 French Open; partnering Natasha Zvereva to win the 1992 Wimbledon Championships; partnering Mary Joe Fernandez to win 1992 Olympic gold; and partnering Natasha Zvereva to win the 1993 Australian Open. Daniel Nestor: partnering Sébastien Lareau to win the 2000 Olympic Gold Medal; partnering Mark Knowles in winning the 2002 Australian Open, 2004 US Open and 2007 French Open; partnering Nenad Zimonjić in winning 2009 Wimbledon Championships.

Aaah...okay the Career Golden Slam. The Career Grand Slam term itself has become more prevalent more recently. I looked on the Wiki link and apparently what Graf achieved is now called a "Golden Grand Slam", but I can swear when she won, it was simply called the "Golden Slam".

Federer has won all 4 Slams and also won the Mens Doubles Gold at Beijing 2008 - can that be categorized as a Golden Slam :hmmm:
It depends on the characterization and apparently they have changed - the earlier convention was that anyone who won all 4 majors in whatever formats was a Grand Slam winner, so by that definition your extension fits the bill. However, I am willing to bet a $100 that no one will equal Graf's Golden Slam of '88 in my lifetime - I've never seen a tennis player play like that - it didn't hurt that she was good looking too.

It depends on the characterization and apparently they have changed - the earlier convention was that anyone who won all 4 majors in whatever formats was a Grand Slam winner, so by that definition your extension fits the bill. However, I am willing to bet a $100 that no one will equal Graf's Golden Slam of '88 in my lifetime - I've never seen a tennis player play like that - it didn't hurt that she was good looking too.
I'd have bet a million dollars on the same point.

Doubles gold will probably not count, Graf won all 4 slams and the Olympic gold in the same year so it was a 'season golden slam' I guess- and that will definitely not happen again. Of course Agassi and Nadal had 'career golden slam too'...

Agree that was a bradmanesque Performance :winky: but no one will duplicate Venus william's 3 God medals either to go along with her grandslams in a more competitive power-era....that might just be close to a sachinesque performance :--D

Yeah, she was a wonderful player. I don't know whats happened to women's tennis lately - even the no 1 players nowadays are nowhere near the likes of Graff, Hingis, Monica Seles etc.

Agree that was a bradmanesque Performance :winky: but no one will duplicate Venus william's 3 God medals either to go along with her grandslams in a more competitive power-era....that might just be close to a sachinesque performance :--D
But what about the X frames per seconds video clips of Graf - surely you've got to bring them into discussion. :D

Though, on a serious note I find it disappointing that Graf's performance has been "reduced" a bit by the coining of this new terminology of Golden Grand Slam and Career Golden Slam as opposed to simply the Golden Slam. This was quite funny, till I kill the time till the Sania-Paes match: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYxlKbe0WZY]Steffi Graf being proposed for Marriage - YouTube[/ame]

Bogdan Obradovic, captain of the Serbian Davis Cup team, hopes to leave London with at least two medals (one in singles and a double) and obviously can not refrain from offering an opinion about the best player from Serbia, Novak Djokovic: "These Olympics are very important for him. We know how much he loves his country and from the start of the season Roland Garros and the Olympics were the two goals. If he had to choose between Wimbledon and the Olympic Games he certainly would have preferred to win the second event. Novak will try in every way to win the gold. He is in great shape and is mentally ready. " Roger Federer is one of the most dangerous rivals amongst the high caliber of players but Obradovic believes that the Swiss cannot win the tournament: "The Swiss are much more individualistic. I think Federer has never shared a lot of the compatriots’ team atmosphere. We (the Serbs) are more nationalist in such events and this gives us an extra boost. Federer when he plays the Olympics seems rather unmotivated so I do not think he'll be the winner. " http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Obradovic-Novak-Djokovic-can-win-the-Olympics-Federer-is-not-a-nationalist-articolo5031.html Write off Federer at your own peril.Hes made it to the finals yet again. And wheres Djokovic? Win or Lose-I dont care;As a Federer fan, All this is just a bonus now

I've tried watching a few matches' date=' but as I thought it would, tennis at the olympics just doesn't feel right.[/quote'] you wouldn't be saying this if you had watched today's Federer-Del Potro match. Probably one of the best matches played in the entire year.

RVP, yes it didn't feel allrite okay. but You can see how people are dying to see the competiong The other night 2nd round of mens doubles were played by 4 good singles players and the game went to 21-19 in last set. People are dying to get a medal here. Who ever the eff says that Player wants to earn a grandslam over medal, that's all b.s Look at Tsonga vs Raonic game. What a match. Probably the match of the tournament alongside today's game of Federer- Del po

Bogdan Obradovic, captain of the Serbian Davis Cup team, hopes to leave London with at least two medals (one in singles and a double) and obviously can not refrain from offering an opinion about the best player from Serbia, Novak Djokovic: "These Olympics are very important for him. We know how much he loves his country and from the start of the season Roland Garros and the Olympics were the two goals. If he had to choose between Wimbledon and the Olympic Games he certainly would have preferred to win the second event. Novak will try in every way to win the gold. He is in great shape and is mentally ready. " Roger Federer is one of the most dangerous rivals amongst the high caliber of players but Obradovic believes that the Swiss cannot win the tournament: "The Swiss are much more individualistic. I think Federer has never shared a lot of the compatriots team atmosphere. We (the Serbs) are more nationalist in such events and this gives us an extra boost. Federer when he plays the Olympics seems rather unmotivated so I do not think he'll be the winner. " http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Obradovic-Novak-Djokovic-can-win-the-Olympics-Federer-is-not-a-nationalist-articolo5031.html Write off Federer at your own peril.Hes made it to the finals yet again. And wheres Djokovic? Win or Lose-I dont care;As a Federer fan, All this is just a bonus now
I have heard federer talk about Olympic medal many times and he seems quite excited and determined about it.

Did not watch Fed-Del Po, but Murray v Novak was a corker, epic and brutal as youd expect...Murray was excellent and the celebration showed how much it meant to him...it may not 'feel right' but it certainly seems to matter to the players

the quality of matches and desire of players is top, but these guys are multi millionaires already, and are competing alongside athletes who don't even make 5% of what they earn, these are the true olympians, who train for four years on a minimum wage just to fight for gold at the games.

Did not watch Fed-Del Po' date=' but Murray v Novak was a corker, epic and brutal as youd expect...Murray was excellent and the celebration showed how much it meant to him...it may not 'feel right' but it certainly seems to matter to the players[/quote'] +1...good.match