Australia draws first blood

Hawkeye

"Aussie coach feels hectic schedule could affect ageing players India's batsmen will need to remain fresh, says Nielsen Cricinfo staff August 16, 2007 spacer.gif306907.jpg?alt=1 Can India's senior players remain fresh enough to pull off a win in Australia? © Getty Images Tim Nielsen, the new Australian coach, feels that the challenge for India's ageing middle-order line-up will be to beat the hectic schedule and remain fresh for the tour to Australia. Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman - all in their thirties - will probably be playing in their last Test series in Australia later this year, but before that there's plenty of cricket in store for the Indian team. "It's interesting. Apart from the two opening batsmen, they seem to have gone back to a more experienced line-up," Nielsen told the Australian Associated Press. "The challenge for them is, I suppose, they've got the Twenty20 World Series, then they've got the Test series against Pakistan and they come straight to Australia." Nielsen said that Australia will have the edge as they wouldn't have played as much cricket. "We will be relatively fresh compared with what they will be and that might be a positive for us. That will test these older players of theirs." He also indicated that Australia had the firepower in their bowling to counter the Indian batsmen. "Two guys bowling at 150-plus kph is an exciting thing. Hopefully, they are all fit, firing and ready to go. The selectors will have a look at what the best combination is," Nielsen said. "The great thing is, whether it be [Mitchell] Johnson, [shaun] Tait, [brett] Lee, [stuart] Clark, [ben] Hilfenhaus, there is lots of talent around that is screaming out for the opportunity." Along with the Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman, India's Test team to Australia will also include the 36-year-old Anil Kumble. However, all five senior players won't play the Twenty20 World Championship in South Africa. Also, Kumble has retired from ODIs while Laxman hasn't played an ODI for India since December last year. " :finger: Yes the big 5 are in their 30s but so is Ponting (32), Hayden (35) and Gilchrist (35)...It didn't prevent a series victory against England, something which Mr. Nielson should be thinking and perhaps writing about instead.

Yes the big 5 are in their 30s but so is Ponting (32)' date=' Hayden (35) and Gilchrist (35)...It didn't prevent a series victory against England, something which Mr. Nielson should be thinking and perhaps writing about instead.[/quote'] there is a huge difference if you compare the performances.

I kinda agree with Nielsen. Our greatest challenge will be remain fit and in form, with so much cricket in store for us. We must rotate the players and keep our players , especially the faster bowlers fit for the Aussie series. Zaheer Khan has already shown signs of injuries , Munaf is just coming back and Irfan is slowly getting back to rhythm. We need proper planing to make sure things fall in place for that tour. Thank Goodness the seniors have rested for 20/20. That would have sucked the juice out of them. P.S - Hawkeye , the next time you add comments to an opening post containing quotes of a player/coach , make sure your comments are highlighted separately , to avoid confusion. For one moment , I was wondering if Nielsen had showed the middle finger or something.

Not in an international match for sure. I also doubt if we have faced him in a tour match either.
For some reason its the unknowns who tend to give us more headache than the experienced ones.The likes of Lee, akhtar, simon jones have troubled us most when on debut or when bowling at us for the first time.
For some reason its the unknowns who tend to give us more headache than the experienced ones.The likes of Lee' date=' akhtar, simon jones have troubled us most when on debut or when bowling at us for the first time.[/quote'] You are right, I dont expect our team to blitzed by super-fast bowlers like they used to be before. Just that , the initial damage they might cause , could prevent us from getting massive scores as we did last time Lee , in 2003/4 wasnt that lethal . We handled him pretty well. In Fact , we scored over 200 runs off him in Sydney in the first innings.

If i were to be honest , then i would say we will have a tough time drawing that series , let alone winning it. In 2003/4 , almost all of our batsman delivered at crucial stages of the tour- Ganguly in Brisbane , Dravid in Adelaide, Sehwag in Melbourne and Sachin and Laxman in Sydney. We had massive scores from our batsman - 144 , 270 , 195 , 178 , 240 etc. I am not sure if any of the fab-4 is capable of reproducing such form again. Our success during the last tour was mainly based on our batting prowess. 4 years and many more mental scars later , I dont think the fab-4 can come up with such efforts again. What will work for us is that , i dont rate this Aussie team as high as the previous one. There is no Langer , no Martyn , no Waugh. Apart from that , we have both Mcgrath and Warne missing. Though it is worth mentioning that both of them didnt play in the last series. Most probably , the Aussies will go with Lee+Tait+Clark+ Mcgill for the first test. Now , how does this attack compare with Lee+Bracken+Bichel+Macgill is something we need to debate. Also , I would rate our current bowling attack , SLIGHTLY ahead than the attack of 2003/4. Our no.3 seamer then was Nehra, who blows hot and cold. RP Singh has shown he can be a consistent wicket taking threat.We also have Munaf is coming back to full steam.

Guys, as much as I hate to say it, we're gonna get DESTROYED by Australia. 2003/4 was different.. now its different.. I hope we do well, but I am not expecting it. I think at best, we might draw a test.
Destroyed ? No way mate. Australia is not what you think it is. Their bowling is not as strong as it used to be, trust me.