Olympics nothing less than a war for China

rkt.india

While the pictures are disturbing, its not enough evidence to prove that China's approach is detrimental... to the childrens future prospects, health etc. Again, we may not approve of their training regimen, but excelling in some sport events requires sacrifices of unimaginable nature, especially to an culture such as ours. Again these are just some of the most disturbing videos and pictures. One can understand why they can repulse people. But overall I am more disturbed by this tendency to discount China's excellent return in its pursuit of sporting excellence just because some of these pictures happen to destroy our utopian impressions of how sporting heroes are made.

Bihutoli, are you saying that these methods are commonly used by all the top sporting countries "to excel in sports"? This is like using unfair, secret, gentic engineering to make a particular human species to come at par with some other human species.. If given a chance, can these Chinese coaches train their young ones in say, Norway, under Norway's Human Rights and Child Protection laws and excel in sports?

Bihutoli' date=' are you saying that these methods are commonly used by all the top sporting countries "to excel in sports"? This is like using unfair, secret, gentic engineering to make a particular human species to come at par with some other human species.. If given a chance, can these Chinese coaches train their young ones in say, Norway, under Norway's Human Rights and Child Protection laws and excel in sports?[/quote'] Asterix, you are just assuming that China's training programs for each sport are grossly different from that of other nations that also excel in the sport in question. On the basis of a few pictures on the internet? If one is looking for excesses, one can find that everywhere, including in India.

Excesses could be everywhere. I'm talking about state policy, not being transparent and some sort of bleak Human Rights history. Maybe I'm wrong or ignorant, I've never heard of any Chinese Court of Law giving any landmark judgement related to human rights of any individual or a group. Do they have any Judiciary? Never ever heard of any Judicial ruling inthat country.. Or maybe it's just an assumption..Human Rights issues could be negligible in China..

yeah yeah yeah.. Olympic sux.. As long as US dominance is over on this event, who cares about it anyway! "human rights in china" is ultimate propaganda behind these, and take away the credit for those hard earned medals from those wonderful athlets. Just hate to see these discussions in Indian forum atm where we totally suk at it, wouldnt mind to see it as "hard talk" topic in news shows.

yeah yeah yeah.. Olympic sux.. As long as US dominance is over on this event' date= who cares about it anyway! "human rights in china" is ultimate propaganda behind these, and take away the credit for those hard earned medals from those wonderful athlets. Just hate to see these discussions in Indian forum atm where we totally suk at it, wouldnt mind to see it as "hard talk" topic in news shows.
Which event are you talking about? :winky:

yeah yeah yeah.. Olympic sux.. As long as US dominance is over on this event' date=' who cares about it anyway! "human rights in china" is ultimate propaganda behind these, and [b']take away the credit for those hard earned medals from those wonderful athlets.
That looks like the main reason why it is in media. No wonder Chinese swimmer was accused of doping in western media.

There is a huge difference. Child labour is a result of economic compulsion. The kids who are working as labourers/domestic helps do so to support themselves and their families. Not the case with the Olympians. In the case of China, they are scouting for talented (read malleable) kids, as young as 3, and choosing a sport for them based on the reports of the scout. Pretty callous and heartless if you ask me. Then the kid is trained in that sport for hours at ends just to get an Olympic medal. The normal routine is a kid playing a sport, liking it, bettering himself, then winning local competitions before becoming an international star. I'd rather have Indians not win any golds than have our kids endure all this. There was a documentary on BBC about how the Eastern Bloc nations routinely cheated to win medals at the Olympics. East Germany, Poland, USSR etc. The Olympics had become a place to show case the 'superiority' of their nation/way of life over the others. Members of the East German Olympic committee helped the athletes dope. My hunch is that China is not very different and such stories may emerge in the near future. The manufacturing hub of the world has just added a new assembly line- for athletes.
Errr, I don't even know where to begin :laugh: First of all, professional sport is cut throat. This is not about telling your kids 'try' their best and if they lose, than no big deal. Maybe it is in India, which explains its dismal performance in Olympics. Even if you disregard the participation of US/China/Russia, India don't get as many medals as they should in the Commonwealth Games. ROFL at 'our kids' ; North Korea currently has more medals than India, and by all accounts, North Korea is one of the most poorest, secluded and isolated counties in the world. Even Kazakhstan has more medals!!

ROFL at 'our kids' ; North Korea currently has more medals than India, and by all accounts, North Korea is one of the most poorest, secluded and isolated counties in the world. Even Kazakhstan has more medals!!
that is one of the point everyone here is making.. scoring more medals is a prestigious issue for those countries and not for us.. i live here in suwon which has a million population and i had seen 3 or 4 sports facilities for Olympic sports , how many such facilities do we have in blore or chennai ?? seriously how many games in the Olympics do we play ?? :nervous:

Too many apparently' date=' maybe 'our kids' will be better off staying at home/sleeping in and watch little known African countries shame them into oblivion.[/quote'] If that's what "our kids" were doing your parents would not have moved to Australia in eminent jobs and given you an eminent education and comfortable life.

If that's what "our kids" were doing your parents would not have moved to Australia in eminent jobs and given you an eminent education and comfortable life.
Pot, kettle, black. Says the guy who boasts abut doing his education in Europe/America. Lets just brush that inconvenient little detail under the carpet, shall we? :winky: