Which current sportsperson transcends all boundaries in terms of popularity?

jairamesh

Which current sportsperson transcends all boundaries in terms of popularity?  

1. 1.

• Tiger Woods
    • Floyd Mayweather
    • Manny Pacquaio
    • Rafael Nadal
    • Roger Federer
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Lionel Messi
    • Usain Bolt
    • Serena Williams
    • Maria Sharapova

This poll has come about after I witnessed Bolt win the 100m race. The race left me with goosebumps. Some reason Bolt winning this race left me pumped up and proud! I have never really followed athletics but hell sure know who Bolt is. Very few great sportspersons can achieve this popularity outside their niche and national fans. Which sportsman or sportswoman currently achieves that (despite their form)?

It is Bolt.. and not even close. He brought grace to an event that is all about brute strength. Guy was born to run. Good thing he didn't choose cricket.
Not only that, he revived the interest in the 100m after the reputation of the event took a nose dive during the numerous drugs scandals in the late 90s and early 2000s.

At global level, no doubt it is Usain Bolt. Few sportsperson rise to the level that their sport/event is known because they participate in that. Didn't have any idea in my childhood about pole vault until Bubaka started jumping to 20 feets. However, In case of Bolt, 100 m race is already very very popular event. Still Bolt seems to be doing to this event what Bubaka had done to Pole Vault. Only thing I pray is let their be no doubt about the legitimacy of his 9.6s and 9.5s, ever as that would be disasterous for sport, which Bolt himself has revived a lot.

That's 80,000 people who paid to see it Sunday night, though the London organizers announced that 2 million people applied for tickets to this one session, the session they knew would feature Bolt. That kind of appeal would suggest Bolt is already a legend, but if the diva needed his ego checked, losing to Blake did it.
Bolt!

This is a very close call though. Soccer fans swear by Messi, and those who don't have a remote idea of Soccer, would still know Messi just like they know Maradona and Pele. Bolt is equally famous but, my bvote would go for Federer(yes!!) because he has been there the longest and ALMOST everyone thinks/ knows that he is the world beater in the sport.

Fedex for me (from the list). However, I think Tiger Woods might be a clear winner here. But if you talk about popularity transcending through *all* boundaries (non-sport followers) - my mother's comment should weigh heavily here - " wo dono kaali ladkiyon/behnon ka kya chal raha hai iss baar". (referring to Serena/Venus) She doesn't follow sport beyond the forced upon breaking news headlines by Indian media.

Fedex for me (from the list). However, I think Tiger Woods might be a clear winner here. But if you talk about popularity transcending through *all* boundaries (non-sport followers) - my mother's comment should weigh heavily here - " wo dono kaali ladkiyon/behnon ka kya chal raha hai iss baar". (referring to Serena/Venus) She doesn't follow sport beyond the forced upon breaking news headlines by Indian media.
Oh you mean sarla and vimla??