***** Benson

Sooda

Re: ***** Benson

the point jf1... is that the umpire is not consistent. he denied us several plumb decisions' date=' but promptly gifts the RSAns with a marginal one. in any case, i thought it looked quite not out.[/quote'] Didnt see the game yesterday so cant comment on decisions not going our way. But someone needs to shut up these commentators.

Re: ***** Benson yes dravid may have looked out, but this is the key to umpiring and especially lbw decisions: in the 1st inning Benson especially set a precedent which he adhered to for the length of SA's inning. He decided not to give out lbw for ANY INKLING of doubt that he had either over height or over line. It is fair to expect the same when India is batting, and we did not get the same standard by which the SA batting was judged. you cannot expect to compete in a Test match when you are playing against the umpiring. let me reiterate, i agree with you that Dravid may have looked out. but unfortunately that is only 1 side of the coin. you have to view the decision with the perspective of what was denied India when SA was batting. add to that the incompetent umpiring of Rauf (who didnt make judgment errors but worse still couldnt hear or see clear nicks) and Sachin's drop catch (luckily Sachin can make up for this with his bat). This has not been a good Test for us with regard to luck, and something will have to change for us soon.

Re: ***** Benson He didn't look out, and he wasn't out. As KM said, all we ask for is a bit of consistency. Benson turned down much closer appeals yesterday. He should have used the same yardstick today. If he had given appeals like this yesterday, SA would have folded under 200. Very inconsistent umpire.

Re: ***** Benson

As mentioned above Rahuls was hitting middle... It is not out because of height but the Line and the way Rahul got beaten got him out. Benefit of doubt I give to Benson... I know he screwed up many decisions... but he can redeem himself in the rest of the match.
I see. I suppose the South African batsmen looked a picture of elegance when the ball hit their pads yesterday?