The greatest mens sprint team: Jamaica 2012

jairamesh

I don't understand how an individual takes 9.58 secs for 100m' date=' 4 people on an average take much less than that for the same 100 m. Is it because of a head start they get in a relay?[/quote'] Table.gif It's the first 20m which contributes most to the time taken to run 100m.

I don't understand how an individual takes 9.58 secs for 100m' date=' 4 people on an average take much less than that for the same 100 m. Is it because of a head start they get in a relay?[/quote'] yup,3 athlete cover about 30 metre i.e 10m each via headstart,so that saves around 3 sec

I don't understand how an individual takes 9.58 secs for 100m' date=' 4 people on an average take much less than that for the same 100 m. [b']Is it because of a head start they get in a relay?
The slowest part of the 100 m dash is coming off the blocks. The reaction time ranges from 0.1 seconds to 0.15 seconds. I beleive Tim Montgomery of US is considered best starter ever. For 4*100, there is only 1 start, which is typically given to fastest starter on the team. Every time baton is changed the sprinters are alredy in motion. Thus you essentially knock off 0.4-0.6seconds off their combined time.

Table.gif It's the first 20m which contributes most to the time taken to run 100m.
bolt is not a great starter but he seems to make up in first 20 meter by looking at those stats. add to that he pretty much jogs the last 20 meter and still manages to extend his lead, whhddaman!!

Not as exciting as 4X100 team of Jamaican men, but if you look at 4X400 team of US women which ran in London, they also possess similar or even better capacity to dominate their oppoenets. Before final of their event in London, almost everybody predicted them to win very easily and they actually won very very easily. Team Allyson Felix - Winner of 200m gold and 4X100 m gold Sanya Richard Ross - Winner of 400 m Gold D trotter - Bronze in 400m MCCORORY F - Finalist in 400 m This team had defeated silver winning team by good 4 seconds, meaning around 30 meters and they just missed WR.