Soldier memorial desecrated

surajmal

How can a cook or Northeastern student in Pune be culpable for Bodo violence in Assam? The Azad Maidan riot was based on false propaganda and sends out the wrong signals. By Shoma Chaudhury Shoma Chaudhury Shoma Chaudhury ALSO READ The Butchers of Kokrajhar External and internal forces fueling the clashes, says CM The curse of the ‘doubtful voters’ haunts thousands in Assam THERE’S A primary Gandhian rule Baba Ramdev does not seem to have heard of: to shame an adversary, one must be of high moral character oneself, or at least, be a self-critical aspirant. But the beauty of a democracy is that despite their deficiencies, even tin men and gimcrack babas have an enshrined right to protest. They can protest corruption even if they are very corrupt themselves; they can shift positions hourly; have no solutions; and generally whip up a storm on infantile formulations. Such noise may yield nothing (except eventually hollow out the idea of protest) but the right cannot be denied. The Anna Hazare and Baba Ramdev movements demand sustained dissection on many counts. What about them makes the nature of the messenger as important as the message? But as their protests remain irreproachably peaceful, another protest this week demands a different dissection. The violent rioting by some Muslim protesters at Azad Maidan in Mumbai last weekend — gathered to condemn the Bodo-Muslim clashes in Assam and the persecution of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar — was indefensible. Two dead, vehicles torched, media vans attacked and over 50 people injured, many of them policemen and women. From that senseless conflagration, flew other embers: several Northeastern citizens attacked in Pune and elsewhere in the country. As isolated incidents of arson, this would have been condemnable enough. But there are four other aspects of the Azad Maidan riot that are extremely disturbing. First, the rage that boiled over at the rally was stoked on false propaganda. Gruesome images of dead bodies massed in heaps had been cynically circulated on the Net with calls to Muslims to “awaken and fight”. It is Faraz Ahmed, an intrepid Pakistani Muslim, blogging for The Express Tribune, who first established the lies. Tracking the original images, he showed how tear-gassed protesters in Bangkok (still alive), earthquake victims in China being tended to by Tibetan monks, and other victims of Thailand police action were being passed off as the butchering of Rohingya Muslims by the Buddhist Myanmarese. (According to media reports, a rioter in Pune confessed that he and his cohorts had been attacking “Chinis” — people with Mongoloid features — because they were angry with images showing what “Chinis” were doing to Muslims. Confronted with the untruth of the images, he said he regretted his action.) Unfortunately, though Faraz Ahmed’s intervention is the only wise tactic, this incident is bound to add fresh heat to the Internet censorship debate. But the falsity of the propaganda — and the ease of anonymous transmission on the Net — is just one end of the thorn. What if the images were true? Can the ideas of ‘provocation’ and ‘grievance’ ever be legitimately twinned with random retaliatory violence? Rohingya Muslims are indeed being persecuted. And Muslims are one half of the dual tragedy playing out in Assam. Does that justify other Muslims making ‘common cause’ and retaliating against unrelated, geographically distant people elsewhere in the country? Should anger be transported like this? How can a Northeastern student or cook in Pune be culpable for Bodo violence in Kokrajhar? Did it make sense that the Muslims of Gujarat were made to pay for the crime of a few Muslims in Godhra? The other Indian failing that reinforced this week is the racist idea of a ubiquitous “Northeasterner” or “Chini”. For the rioters in Pune, a Bodo tribal, a Meitei Manipuri and a Nepalese from Darjeeling were clearly indistinguishable and interchangeable: like peas in a bad pod. Unfortunately, this is not a stray blindness: it is almost a national trait. Finally, the worst spin-off of the Azad Maidan riot is that what was until now being framed as an ethnic conflict has now effectively been communalised. The Internet is abuzz with the Hindu Right asking its cadres to “arise and awaken”. Gratefully, in a timely salve, several Muslim leaders, including Haroon Mozawala of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board, have stepped in to unqualifiedly condemn the rioting. “Our heads are hanging in shame,” Mozawala told the PTI, and urged those responsible to surrender to the police. Other Muslims online have also criticised the community for protesting only as co-religionists; of nursing an idea of collective victimhood; of believing they are the only ones who ever get a “raw deal”. Nothing can be a more healing counter-current than such voices from within. And, in the weeks to come, may the noise of India’s current street theatre, at least occasionally, be drowned out by these. Shoma Chaudhury is Managing Editor, Tehelka. shoma@tehelka.com
http://www.tehelka.com/story_main53.asp?filename=Op250812How.asp

Those traitors who destroyed the Amar Jawan memorial and used violence in Mumbai or any other place should be found out and sentenced to at least 10-20 years imprisonment with third degree torture every second day. Nowadays I often understand why communism is often so successful. It is far better to suppress all religions and castes and make them atheists rather than allowing radical behavior from all religions grow.

While this was happening....UP's CM was busy hosting iftaar party iftar2.jpg
Whats the point? I hate votebank politics but Akhilesh is not the only one hosting Iftar party. Even Karnataka CM Shettar hosted Iftar Party and so did Rajasthan, WB, Bihar and all other CMs. This is votebank politics but it happens even in the US and Obama celebrated both Diwali and Eid I suppose in White House. It is not bad to promote peace but it is bad to promote hatred and anti-nationalism. Often is not votebank politics too as the US consul general organizes Iftar party in India such as the one recently held in Ahmedabad. Having said that, all the respective CMs should have caught the culprits indulged in violence immediately and given them the harshest of punishment. Don't paint everyone by the same brush. I am a Muslim but do not have any sympathy for illegal Bangladeshi immigrants getting killed be it Muslim or Hindu or anybody else. In fact, I hate all such illegal Bangladeshi both Muslims and Hindus and want them to be kicked back to Bangladesh. Having said that, if there are legal Indians in those, I would definitely sympathize with any such lost lives. I also hate all radicals and anti-nationals including radical Muslim Mullahs, Bajrang Dal, SIMI, IM, VHP, Naxalites, Hindu Vahini, PFI etc. I would like India to ban all radicals and if possible promote partial atheism in a mild way. At least, I would want all Indians to become less religious and become moderate if not liberals. So, don't paint everyone with the same brush. Here is an Iftar party thread of this year just for an idea. And here is another Iftar party where NE people were invited in particular by Mumbai NGO to gain confidence in order to stop the leaving of the city. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Bid-to-build-bridges-with-iftar-party/articleshow/15550848.cms Similarly, I found another article where a mosque gave shelter to NE people in Bangalore. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Mosque-gives-shelter-to-northeast-men/articleshow/15552785.cms Similarly, more activities supporting NE people: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Peace-initiatives-spark-ray-of-hope/articleshow/15538359.cms Similarly, found some more pictures of people with placards requesting NE people to be united and not leave Bangalore. india_exodus_1.jpgnortheastern_1181366f.jpg Don't paint everyone by the same brush because it is the weirdest thing to do. BTW, here is an Iftar photos thread by various politicians (this years only for the last few days) in TOI and you can see a lot of CMs and ministers there. And I doubt the smaller state have not even been included though it is there in almost every state (similar to official celebration of Diwali in every state). There is nothing bad if that is peaceful. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/day-in-pics/politics-of-iftar/articleshowpics/15543579.cms Here is another Iftar party of last year where every heavyweight in the BJP and NDA and even UPA from L.K.Advani to Gadkari and Arun Jaitely attended in Delhi. http://photogallery.indiatimes.com/parties/delhi/shahnawaz-hussains-iftar-party/articleshow/9873077.cms

Whats the point? I hate votebank politics but Akhilesh is not the only one hosting Iftar party. Even Karnataka CM Shettar hosted Iftar Party and so did Rajasthan, WB, Bihar and all other CMs. This is votebank politics but it happens even in the US and Obama celebrated both Diwali and Eid I suppose in White House. It is not bad to promote peace but it is bad to promote hatred and anti-nationalism. Often is not votebank politics too as the US consul general organizes Iftar party in India such as the one recently held in Ahmedabad. Having said that, all the respective CMs should have caught the culprits indulged in violence immediately and given them the harshest of punishment. Don't paint everyone by the same brush. I am a Muslim but do not have any sympathy for illegal Bangladeshi immigrants getting killed be it Muslim or Hindu or anybody else. In fact, I hate all such illegal Bangladeshi both Muslims and Hindus and want them to be kicked back to Bangladesh. Having said that, if there are legal Indians in those, I would definitely sympathize with any such lost lives. I also hate all radicals and anti-nationals including radical Muslim Mullahs, Bajrang Dal, SIMI, IM, VHP, Naxalites, Hindu Vahini, PFI etc. I would like India to ban all radicals and if possible promote partial atheism in a mild way. At least, I would want all Indians to become less religious and become moderate if not liberals. So, don't paint everyone with the same brush. Here is an Iftar party thread of this year just for an idea. And here is another Iftar party where NE people were invited in particular by Mumbai NGO to gain confidence in order to stop the leaving of the city. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Bid-to-build-bridges-with-iftar-party/articleshow/15550848.cms Similarly, I found another article where a mosque gave shelter to NE people in Bangalore. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Mosque-gives-shelter-to-northeast-men/articleshow/15552785.cms Similarly, more activities supporting NE people: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Peace-initiatives-spark-ray-of-hope/articleshow/15538359.cms Similarly, found some more pictures of people with placards requesting NE people to be united and not leave Bangalore. india_exodus_1.jpgnortheastern_1181366f.jpg Don't paint everyone by the same brush because it is the weirdest thing to do. BTW, here is an Iftar photos thread by various politicians (this years only for the last few days) in TOI and you can see a lot of CMs and ministers there. And I doubt the smaller state have not even been included though it is there in almost every state (similar to official celebration of Diwali in every state). There is nothing bad if that is peaceful. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/day-in-pics/politics-of-iftar/articleshowpics/15543579.cms
Good on you to stand your ground. :cheer::cheer: This whole Akhilesh-Yadav-hosting-Iftar is plain nonsense. As if, if the BJP was in power the iftari would not have been held! It should be fairly to pull pictures of such events that have been hosted by Advani and Vajpayee. Holding iftar is a long held tradition of India and goes beyond political party. Hindus hold iftar for Muslim brothers. Why would it be tagged political? Yes go after miscreants, by all means. But quit making loose comments that do nothing to help the situation.

It is not bad to promote peace but it is bad to promote hatred and anti-nationalism. Don't paint everyone by the same brush. I am a Muslim but do not have any sympathy for illegal Bangladeshi immigrants getting killed be it Muslim or Hindu or anybody else. In fact, I hate all such illegal Bangladeshi both Muslims and Hindus and want them to be kicked back to Bangladesh. Having said that, if there are legal Indians in those, I would definitely sympathize with any such lost lives. I also hate all radicals and anti-nationals including radical Muslim Mullahs, Bajrang Dal, SIMI, IM, VHP, Naxalites, Hindu Vahini, PFI etc. I would like India to ban all radicals and if possible promote partial atheism in a mild way. At least, I would want all Indians to become less religious and become moderate if not liberals. So, don't paint everyone with the same brush.
Yes go after miscreants, by all means. But quit making loose comments that do nothing to help the situation.
Good to see some sanity here - a lot of false information is being spread & it always good to check things once before categorizing them as one or the other.

^^ ok not spreading mis information... see for yourself.. Adv9UekLVUM&feature=plcp those of you who are saying to follow law n order.... here is mumbai police commisioner... AI9F2TKYl9U&feature=plcp there was another video where someone was saying 'yahi mauka he... maaro salon ko' while burning the police van... you can hear subtle deeply rooted hatred in their tone..

Similarly, found some more pictures of people with placards requesting NE people to be united and not leave Bangalore. india_exodus_1.jpgnortheastern_1181366f.jpg
Finally, some feel good pics/news.. . i hope sanity prevails in this whole mess... couple of vidoes that i saw .. there were few in mob who were trying to stop ppl from burning vehicles... but they got outnumbered..

6 Sri Ram Sene men held for bid to hoist Pakistani flag Sri Ram Sene activists The clue came from an eyewitness, who had seen the activists hoisting the flag. Six activists of the right- wing Sri Ram Sene, who had planned to spark communal violence in the north Karnataka town of Sindhagi by hoisting the Pakistani flag on the mini Vidhan Soudha premises, are now lodged behind bars. Interestingly, all the accused had staged demonstrations in the town the very next day to protest the delay in arresting those responsible for the reprehensible act. They also tried to manhandle Bijapur district SP D. C. Rajappa and other officers when they visited the spot. Four days after the incident, the police on Thursday arrested the Sene activists on the charges of fomenting communal disharmony. The police said Rakesh Siddaramiah Mutt (19, Anil Kumar (18), Parashuram Ashok (20, Rohit Eshwar (18, Sunil Madiwalappa (18) and Mallanagouda Vijaykumar (18)- all members of Sene's youth wing were responsible for the flag- hoisting incident. The police are on the lookout for absconding accused Arun Vaghmore (20). "Rakesh is the Sindhagi unit president of Sene's student wing and the other accused are its members. They are all students in various colleges of Sindhagi and Bijapur. Their aim was to create communal unrest and gain advantage for their campaign," Rajappa said. Sene chief Pramod Muthalik termed the charges "baseless" and alleged that the police were foisting a false case on his outfit's members. But Rajappa said: "The accused have confessed...They were planning to shift base to Goa for a few days by mid- January. They had stitched the Pakistani flag at an accomplice's house in Sindhagi.Investigations are on to find out if other Sene leaders are involved." He said the accused conspired for a week before hoisting the flag on the night of December 31. They returned the following morning and staged their demonstration, pelting stones at a government- owned bus. "Their motive was clear: hoist the flag, create unrest and take mileage by protesting against the incident," Rajappa said. The clue cracking the case came from an eyewitness, who had seen the activists hoisting the flag around 3.30 am. Rajappa said the witness later identified one of the accused, who then spilled the beans. But former CM H. D. Kumaraswamy gave a different version of the incident. "I am told the RSS was behind the incident. It is shameful that the BJP is trying to create communal unrest for political gains," he said. However, neither the BJP nor the RSS reacted to the allegation. 305069_516937224988984_2093212614_n.jpg
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/sri-ram-sene-activists-pakistani-flag/1/167409.html I fear something worse is going to happen soon.. somewhere down the line political gimmick is happening .. someone wants public attention to divert from government/corruption/infation to some communal issue.. At least we should keep our eyes open and don't believe in what we see upfront as suddenly the total scenario has changed in most big cities..

I fear something worse is going to happen soon.. somewhere down the line political gimmick is happening .. someone wants public attention to divert from government/corruption/infation to some communal issue.. At least we should keep our eyes open and don't believe in what we see upfront as suddenly the total scenario has changed in most big cities..
First up, I do not think anything will happen. In this day and age we have enough sane people on all side and immediate method of information that will quell any mis-information. Yes the miscreants will try to create nuisance but the information flows so fast today that unless it is substantial nothing shall, and will happen. But if it does happen unfortunately I will lay the blame squarely on the people who choose to be the perennial sheep. In Mumbai, for example, the protests have a lot to do with BD immigrants. Now it is one thing for BD immigrants to lay low in Mumbai, and do menial jobs to make money. Completely different for them to be bold enough to beat the cops black and blue (picture above). If the political party (Congress) does not have the intent to deal with them kick it out. From political, and Administration, point of view this is as good a chance as Bombay will get to get rid of illegal BD immigrants. Lets try to do that instead of targeting the soft targets that we always seem to do.

Nice photos with positive messages but can't help but feel that this is staged and there aren't dozens of Muslims standing at stations holding these placards right now. If this was organized by a progressive Muslim organization then they should be encouraged but this doesn't change the fact that the danger is all too real. Photos like this in mass media will sending a calming message on both sides of the divide but are useless unless backed by strong execution of law and order codes.

Police officers like Patnayak are Desh per bojh.Must be taking orders from his politician bosses.I hope he gets punished for this. There should be fast court trials of these rioters.There is enough video evidence of them. There are some people in this and other videos trying to stop the rioters.These people should be rewarded for showing such courage.In takes a lot courage to do so in such situations.

First up, I do not think anything will happen. In this day and age we have enough sane people on all side and immediate method of information that will quell any mis-information. Yes the miscreants will try to create nuisance but the information flows so fast today that unless it is substantial nothing shall, and will happen. But if it does happen unfortunately I will lay the blame squarely on the people who choose to be the perennial sheep. In Mumbai, for example, the protests have a lot to do with BD immigrants. Now it is one thing for BD immigrants to lay low in Mumbai, and do menial jobs to make money. Completely different for them to be bold enough to beat the cops black and blue (picture above). If the political party (Congress) does not have the intent to deal with them kick it out. From political, and Administration, point of view this is as good a chance as Bombay will get to get rid of illegal BD immigrants. Lets try to do that instead of targeting the soft targets that we always seem to do.
Yeah problem is as soon as someone tries to get rid of the illegal immigrants it will be labelled as tyranny against Muslim brothers. Pakis who committed brutality against Bangladeshis will suddenly had attacks to protect their Muslim brethren and c h e w t i y a s like Javed Jaffery will come on TV and announce it is all our fault because we are not treating Muslims right Religion just evokes such a strong passion that sane ppl are really wishing it just goes away

can someone explain to me why there are so many illegal bangladeshi immigrants in india?
Large population and poverty in Bangladesh,porus border,impossible to diffrentiate between West bengali muslims and bangladeshi's,easily become votebank for some politician.