Aussies suffer Twenty20 World Cup setback

King

Australian fast bowler Shaun Tait has been ruled out of the Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa. More... Aussies suffer Twenty20 World Cup setback August 20 2007 at 08:47AM Sydney - Australian fast bowler Shaun Tait was on Monday ruled out of next month's ICC Twenty20 World Cup with an elbow injury, Cricket Australia said. It said it was seeking approval for Tait to be replaced by Tasmania fast bowler Ben Hilfenhaus. Chairperson of selectors Andrew Hilditch said he was advised that Tait's elbow has not recovered sufficiently from recent surgery for him to take part in the tournament in South Africa from September 11-24. "This news is very disappointing for Shaun after such a successful World Cup campaign, and I know he was looking forward to being part of the first ICC World Twenty20," Hilditch said. The flip side is that this presents a great opportunity for a good young fast bowler who had such a good season last year. "Ben Hilfenhaus is highly regarded, and the chance to be part of an Australian touring squad will greatly assist his development. "We're really keen, fitness permitting, for Shaun to take part in the India tour (in October) which is a very important one-day series and a tremendous springboard for our domestic season of international cricket." Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said Tait has recovered slower than expected from right elbow surgery.

Aussies need to revisit their training methods and physical fitness regime. I won't be surprised if Aussies players are the ones that miss out the most due to injuries. Luckily for Australia someone seems to step in every time there is a major injury to one of the better players. All said and done Aussies aren't even the ones that play the most cricket. They have the best set up too but they are the worst hit by injuries. I guess Pakistan is second on the injury hit list.

I'm not only referring to Tait Donny. I'm referring to injuries to Aussie players in general. BTW the report indicates a fresh injury too and I was reacting to it too.

Australian fast bowler Shaun Tait was on Monday ruled out of next month's ICC Twenty20 World Cup with an elbow injury, Cricket Australia said.
I have a reason to believe the physical fitness training methods need a revisit. Too much gym work or training can have adverse effect too. Aussies are pioneers in testing out technology in fitness and I feel sometimes they may just be overdoing it with the bowlers.

Tait is the only player unavailable. Who are you referring to ? Lee, Clark, Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Gillespie, Bracken, Harwood, Nicholson all available. Hayden, Jaques, Rogers, Ponting, Clarke, Hodge, Voges, Symonds, Both Husseys, White all available Gilchrist, Haddin, Crosthwaite, Ronchi, Clingeleffer all available

It'll be interesting to check out the players that have had injuries over the last few years. For India Zaheer and Munaf have pretty much been on physio's table for quite some time. Tendulkar has had his share of injuries but he has been around for a long time though. NZ would the top the list for injuries. I reckon NZ will beat the rest of the teams hands down when it comes to injuries. Bond, Oram, Mills, Vettori, Styris, A Adams and O'Connor are some of the names that come to mind.