Hindi/English chapters which you remember from your school days??

Cricketics

Growing up in India, I remember my school books. The N.C.E.R.T books were fun. Especially the English and Hindi. There were some chapters which I will perhaps remember forever. I think in 9th Class/Grade we had a chapter in English - The Missing Mail by great Indian Writer Rk Naryanan. It was also an episode of the show called Malgudi Days. Some others I fondly remember - Lady at platform no. 8 - Pandora and the hope fairy - A poem called - The road not taken - Riki tiki tawi(lol) Some of the HIndi ones I remember - Panch Minute mein ETC. Does anyone of you remember? any to add

kaunsi class mein tha. Which book? NCERT?
Paanch phool was not part of any syllabus. It's a collection of 5 stories by Premchand. One of the story of from that book was probably used in 10th standard books of Bihar board way back in 95 or 96. Title of the story was Kaptaan Sahab. I read same story in our course books, not sure whether it was any NCERT book or not. We didn't have NCERT book before class 8 in our school.

For the wrong reasons, I remember a chapter from our Hindi text book- Angulimal ki kathaein. He was a dacoit with a fashion statement. He used to wear a garland out of his victim's fingers. Hence the name. As if this aberration weren't enough, the Board also decided that having an illustration of Angulimal would help the kids study better. It was a grotesque caricature. Burning red eyes, unkempt hair, a garland of fingers, a sword with blood trailing off :nervous: It took my parents the better part of a week to convince me that Angulimal didn't exist anymore and had no interest in chopping off my finger.

Rudyard Kipling's

If you can keep your head when all about you Are losing theirs and blaming it on you; If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, But make allowance for their doubting too: If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, Or being lied about, don't deal in lies, Or being hated don't give way to hating, And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise; If you can dream and not make dreams your master; If you can think and not make thoughts your aim, If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster And treat those two impostors just the same: If you can bear to hear the truth you're spoken Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken, And stoop and build them up with worn-out tools; If you can make one heap of all your winnings And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss, And lose, and start again at your beginnings And never breathe a word about your loss: If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew To serve your turn long after they are gone, And so hold on when there is nothing in you Except the Will which says to them: hold on! If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with Kings nor lose the common touch, If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you, If all men count with you, but none too much: If you can fill the unforgiving minute With sixty seconds worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And which is more you'll be a Man, my son!

deserves a mention.

For the wrong reasons, I remember a chapter from our Hindi text book- Angulimal ki kathaein. He was a dacoit with a fashion statement. He used to wear a garland out of his victim's fingers. Hence the name. As if this aberration weren't enough, the Board also decided that having an illustration of Angulimal would help the kids study better. It was a grotesque caricature. Burning red eyes, unkempt hair, a garland of fingers, a sword with blood trailing off :nervous: It took my parents the better part of a week to convince me that Angulimal didn't exist anymore and had no interest in chopping off my finger.
Totally remember that one!! That was CBSE Hindi, Pretty harrowing reading for young kids WTF were they thinking...dosent he meet a saint of some sort who sets him straight...we had to learn Dohas by Kabir too...and write them in the exam... I remember a Hindi Mythology story called Veer Abhimanyu who dies in battle on his chariot... that was exciting story...I had to read The Scarlet Pimpernel in english that was in chennai matriculation

I remember the chapter on PT Usha. We had to memorise her full name' date= which is Piluvaalkandi Tekaparvil Usha. Also Shakespeare's The Tempest, Lord Tennyson's poems and much more. Come to think of it, I remember a lot more than I expected to.
I remember that too and still remember the full name :D While writing answers in exams, we also had to mention the author of the chapter. One Hindi professor used to come in class and ask every one to say Bolo Dabli Babu Vinay Mohan Sharma and the whole class used to say Dabli Babu Vinay Mohan Sharma. Come to think of it, I remember this after 12 years now! :omg:
Totally remember that one!! That was CBSE Hindi' date= Pretty harrowing reading for young kids WTF were they thinking...dosent he meet a saint of some sort who sets him straight...we had to learn Dohas by Kabir too...and write them in the exam... I remember a Hindi Mythology story called Veer Abhimanyu who dies in battle on his chariot... that was exciting story...I had to read The Scarlet Pimpernel in english that was in chennai matriculation
It exists as a chapter even in some state boards too. I remember Angulimal but not for the grotesque caricature but because we now use the term Angulimal for other reasons. Yes, it has to do something with fingers. :wink2:

Here is more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala Angulimala and daku Ratnakara (later known as riahi Valmiki) were the earliest serial killers in India. There have been other serial killers in the west that used to keep fingers of their victims as trophies. None however were converted into saints in their later lives like these two Indians.

Totally remember that one!! That was CBSE Hindi, Pretty harrowing reading for young kids WTF were they thinking...dosent he meet a saint of some sort who sets him straight...we had to learn Dohas by Kabir too...and write them in the exam... I remember a Hindi Mythology story called Veer Abhimanyu who dies in battle on his chariot... that was exciting story...I had to read The Scarlet Pimpernel in english that was in chennai matriculation
Gautama, the Budhha changed Angulimala.

Growing up in India, I remember my school books. The N.C.E.R.T books were fun. Especially the English and Hindi. There were some chapters which I will perhaps remember forever. I think in 9th Class/Grade we had a chapter in English - The Missing Mail by great Indian Writer Rk Naryanan. It was also an episode of the show called Malgudi Days. Some others I fondly remember - Lady at platform no. 8 - Pandora and the hope fairy - A poem called - The road not taken - Riki tiki tawi(lol) Some of the HIndi ones I remember - Panch Minute mein ETC. Does anyone of you remember? any to add
the missing mail,lady at platform 8 (this was a good story),the road not taken are what i remember,i took sanskrit with additional hindi so dont remember them too well :(( (jab ki sirf 6 saal pehle hi to 9th standard ka exam diya lol) mccavity the cat i guess was another poem