Hindi/English chapters which you remember from your school days??

Cricketics

a) Julies Ceaser - Had to mug the speeches of Antonious .. Friend Romans country men.. Lend me your ears.. i have come to bury Ceaser not to praise him .. the evil that men do lives after them .. but goods are often intended with there bones.. so let it be with Ceaser .. Noble Brutus said that Ceaser was ambitious... blah blah blah.. don't remember after that... b) Twelfth Night - Shakespeare c) Black Beauty.. d) Half a penny worth e) Sawmi Nathan and the Sum

For the wrong reasons, I remember a chapter from our Hindi text book- Angulimal ki kathaein. He was a dacoit with a fashion statement. He used to wear a garland out of his victim's fingers. Hence the name. As if this aberration weren't enough, the Board also decided that having an illustration of Angulimal would help the kids study better. It was a grotesque caricature. Burning red eyes, unkempt hair, a garland of fingers, a sword with blood trailing off :nervous: It took my parents the better part of a week to convince me that Angulimal didn't exist anymore and had no interest in chopping off my finger.
Totally remember that one!! That was CBSE Hindi' date=' Pretty harrowing reading for young kids WTF were they thinking...[b']dosent he meet a saint of some sort who sets him straight...we had to learn Dohas by Kabir too...and write them in the exam... I remember a Hindi Mythology story called Veer Abhimanyu who dies in battle on his chariot... that was exciting story...I had to read The Scarlet Pimpernel in english that was in chennai matriculation
He meets Gautam Buddha. I still remember the dialogues. Soldiers had adviced Buddha against going into the forest where Angulimaal was spreading terror Angulimaal (kadak aawaz mai) , "Thehar jaa (Stop) Gautam Buddha, in his own world, doesnt notice Angulimaal, in even louder tone, coming right in front of him "Thehar jaa Gautam Buddha looks camly at him and says, "Mai to thehar gaya, tu kab thehrega?" (I have stopped, but when will you?) Angulimaal starts shaking and falls on Buddha's feet. Goosebumps Veer Abhimanyu was Mahabharat's episode where they kill Abhimanyu in the chakravyu

Growing up in India, I remember my school books. The N.C.E.R.T books were fun. Especially the English and Hindi. There were some chapters which I will perhaps remember forever. I think in 9th Class/Grade we had a chapter in English - The Missing Mail by great Indian Writer Rk Naryanan. It was also an episode of the show called Malgudi Days. Some others I fondly remember - Lady at platform no. 8 - Pandora and the hope fairy - A poem called - The road not taken - Riki tiki tawi(lol) Some of the HIndi ones I remember - Panch Minute mein ETC. Does anyone of you remember? any to add
Lady at Platform eight (was it by Ruskin Bond) and Rikki Tiki Tawi by Rudyard Kipling were awesome. Had some awesome literature books in class XI and XII too. stories like The Light-house - A giant pre-historic beast from the sea falls in love with a light-house and tries to destroy it There was one about a person with a tattoo who gets declared national treasure A story about a haunted house, still remember this sentence vaguely , "The rains had just stopped and the trees were still weeping over it" Much more fun than the ICSE Shakespeare books. I was from CBSE but used to read Shakespeare for fun, those were good times

I can't remember the name, but there was this story of a very poor housewife who borrows a very costly necklace from her neighbour for some special occassion and happens to lose it. The husband, a very proud man, buys an exact indentical replacement on loan and return it. Then they spend a lifetime repaying the loan. After many years, when they are both very old and still poor, they come to know that the one they had lost was an imitation. There was an Oriya story of a girl called setaki in the middle of the deadly nanka femine. Her family dies in front of her and then she dies as well. Then there is this brilliant story by a one of the best writers I have ever read called Fakirmohan Senapati. The story was on a godman in a villge. Then there was this poem on a newly wed bride that drowned in a lake on the way to her in-laws.

I can't remember the name' date= but there was this story of a very poor housewife who borrows a very costly necklace from her neighbour for some special occassion and happens to lose it. The husband, a very proud man, buys an exact indentical replacement on loan and return it. Then they spend a lifetime repaying the loan. After many years, when they are both very old and still poor, they come to know that the one they had lost was an imitation. There was an Oriya story of a girl called setaki in the middle of the deadly nanka femine. Her family dies in front of her and then she dies as well. Then there is this brilliant story by a one of the best writers I have ever read called Fakirmohan Senapati. The story was on a godman in a villge. Then there was this poem on a newly wed bride that drowned in a lake on the way to her in-laws.
I read that too. I think the story is called "The Diamond Necklace" .

I can't remember the name, but there was this story of a very poor housewife who borrows a very costly necklace from her neighbour for some special occassion and happens to lose it. The husband, a very proud man, buys an exact indentical replacement on loan and return it. Then they spend a lifetime repaying the loan. After many years, when they are both very old and still poor, they come to know that the one they had lost was an imitation. There was an Oriya story of a girl called setaki in the middle of the deadly nanka femine. Her family dies in front of her and then she dies as well. Then there is this brilliant story by a one of the best writers I have ever read called Fakirmohan Senapati. The story was on a godman in a villge. Then there was this poem on a newly wed bride that drowned in a lake on the way to her in-laws.
You remember only the depressing ones ?:((