This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006...

Sachin Tendulkar hasn't got a single Test 50 to his name in 2006. He is averaging 22 for the year, and this unbeaten 46 is his highest score, passing his 44 in the First Test of this series... In fact, the last 50+ score by Sachin was his soon to be overtaken World record ton against Sri Lanka (109), on the 10th of December last year...

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... I want to write this tonight, because I don't want to join the flood of recriminations or eulogies tomorrow, depending on whether Sachin succeeds or fails. After Sachin had played that extraordinary extra cover drive off Pollock today, Allan Donald described him as the best batsman that had ever walked on to a cricket field. Just like that, out of the blue. It made me think. Spend a couple of moments on this. Here's one of the greatest bowlers ever to have donned the flannels, paying tribute to a batsman that many consider well past his prime. What does he see that we don't? I think, like many of us, he sees what this once boy genius is capable of. He sees the poise, the balance, the beautiful gift of timing that mere mortals can only dream of. Yet, there can be no doubt that Sachin is a flawed genius. I have long suspected that the origins of his current slump lie in the mind rather than in his body. He is held back only by his self doubt and his lowered expectations of himself. He has failed so many times when the heat has been on recently, that I dare not hope. So many chances for redemption have come and gone, so many opportunities to shut up the critics not taken, so many instances of bowed shoulders and lowered gaze on the way back to the pavilion after yet another disappointing dismissal. Oh Sachin, you are so close to true greatness, yet so far!! I can't share this roller coaster ride with you any more. The odds are that you will fail again tomorrow, and that my hopes will die with you, that yet again, I will slink away from the harsh pen of your myriad detractors, and then join in in the mass wailing. Not this time, Sachin. You may live up to the image Donald holds of you, or you may sink yet again, and take your team with you, but I swear, I am not sharing this ride with you.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... The thing is he is not so close to true greatness. As a batsman he achieved true greatness long time ago. It's only that he's been showing signs of being a human being. I'm sure you'll disagree, but then again read some of Richard's comments about him LONG time back where he said something similar to this: even if Sachin retires now (at that time), he's already done enough to be one of the greatest.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Good one Dhondy :wtg: To be honest it wouldn't worry me whether he is the best, great, legend or anything. Also I don't want to get into the business of comparing him to the rest, it simply doesn't matter. What I like of course is watching him, his shot making yesterday was cock sure. Only hit the bad ones and showed a lot of discpline. This wasn't like his other innings where he was unsure which ball to leave and which ball to play. Last night he was absolutely sure which ones he was going to leave and which was he was going to go after. There was no second measure about it. I don't mind watching this less flambuoyant Tendulkar at all. Tendulkar is well and truly playing for the team. I hope this knock helps the team seal the series :hmph:

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... kitni test dega woh bhai.. har roz nayi test leke sab aa jata he.. SRT.. even if you fail next year.. am still with ya.. as long as you are giving and trying best.. am with ya.. I trust you to hang up boots when you yourself believe that you are a burden to team.. I do not trust any commentrators, any experts, or any writers.. I trust you.. You are one of the best sons that motherland has seen.. You are the loyal servant of my motherland and I, along with millions, will be loyal to you.. let the game begin.. :wtg: :wtg:

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... very expressive, doc..... though, i mus admit the padosees got to u.... i find their argument and now urs too, perplexing, when they say Sachin has never won a match for india.... he has set up and won infinite matches for india... but alas, a greatness of a batsman strangely is measured by the number of times he hits the winning boundary rather than the sheer weight of his performance and the terror he creates in the opposition hearts.... ironially , very similar to the greatness of a bowler being measured by how glamorously he takes his wicket rather than his SR/ave and how a bowler own the opposite team's best batter... (warnie and pidge are the 2 cases)

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... i wouldnt call it short-memory, Bheems..... i am sure, Doc can relive every single boundary SRT has scored in his gems... the problem tht some of SRT's ex-loyalists face now is a little different.... their disappointments are turning into resentment, which is understandable, especially when some youhana has a bradmanesque year on flat pitches and toothless attacks... SRT is going through a different kind of rough patch..... he has not had a decent run, injury free in a while...but the biggest thing affecting him, is his bat change.... SRT is unable to come to grips with the lighter bat, is my feeling... he feels weird, when his half drives dont take off with a boom... he is not used to generating bat-speed and he is grappling with tht... i say, fack it and go for the heavier bat..