This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006...

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006...

I want to write this tonight, because I don't want to join the flood of recriminations or eulogies tomorrow, depending on whether Sachin succeeds or fails. After Sachin had played that extraordinary extra cover drive off Pollock today, Allan Donald described him as the best batsman that had ever walked on to a cricket field. Just like that, out of the blue. It made me think. Spend a couple of moments on this. Here's one of the greatest bowlers ever to have donned the flannels, paying tribute to a batsman that many consider well past his prime. What does he see that we don't? I think, like many of us, he sees what this once boy genius is capable of. He sees the poise, the balance, the beautiful gift of timing that mere mortals can only dream of. Yet, there can be no doubt that Sachin is a flawed genius. I have long suspected that the origins of his current slump lie in the mind rather than in his body. He is held back only by his self doubt and his lowered expectations of himself. He has failed so many times when the heat has been on recently, that I dare not hope. So many chances for redemption have come and gone, so many opportunities to shut up the critics not taken, so many instances of bowed shoulders and lowered gaze on the way back to the pavilion after yet another disappointing dismissal. Oh Sachin, you are so close to true greatness, yet so far!! I can't share this roller coaster ride with you any more. The odds are that you will fail again tomorrow, and that my hopes will die with you, that yet again, I will slink away from the harsh pen of your myriad detractors, and then join in in the mass wailing. Not this time, Sachin. You may live up to the image Donald holds of you, or you may sink yet again, and take your team with you, but I swear, I am not sharing this ride with you.
Quite simply the best post i have ever read on this board...totally agree with everything that you said.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... As I said, Sachin's mind clearly can't keep up with his skills. Gave it away with SA bowling at his mercy, on a flat wicket, boots just waiting to be filled. I can't think of any other batsman in the top 10 who would have played that shot under the circumstances. He simply doesn't have the patience or the self belief any more to stand there and fight. Probably feels that sooner or later, they will get him, so why not try and get a few runs before then?

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... dhondy bhai sachin never had this belief.....i still cant believ how can we compare him to great batsmen like lara and ponting who have won matches single handedly and have played some of the most memorable test innings. Lara and ponting are the real geniuses not this little pest

dhondy bhai sachin never had this belief.....i still cant believ how can we compare him to great batsmen like lara and ponting who have won matches single handedly and have played some of the most memorable test innings. Lara and ponting are the real geniuses not this little pest
The master, did you have a troubled childhood?

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Is your anger only against Tendulkar? What about the rest, Sehwag, Jaffer or those that couldn't even muster a 50. If each of the top 6 mustered 50 each India would have ended up with a lead. I suppose you don't have a punching bag with Sachin's poster struck to it :lol:

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Hmm. The guy gets slated when he doesn't score runs. The guy gets slated when he does score runs. A similar 63 from Dravid would have seen a flowery tribute of how a man stood tall amongst the ruins and how he was the only one who battled on his own against the demon bowling of SA. Oh well. :shrug:

dhondy bhai sachin never had this belief.....i still cant believ how can we compare him to great batsmen like lara and ponting who have won matches single handedly and have played some of the most memorable test innings. Lara and ponting are the real geniuses not this little pest
If you can't compare then why do you bother complaining anyways?

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Gambo, nobody denies his contribution in making 63. My problem is that as the standout batsman in the side, who was in and well set, he should have gone on for the team. He was in form, stroking the ball beautifully. Instead, he tried the cute upper cut, a high risk shot at the best of times, and completely inappropriate under the circumstances. Why would you do that, when you can play the ball as straight and as well as he can? So yes, he scored 63, but there was 163 for the taking. If he had only bothered. That's my grouse. Let's stop taking umbrage at the merest hint of criticism directed at the man.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Look at Ponting yesterday. Terrible facking shout to get out. Cr#p pull at a time when he needed to dig in. Looked like he could not handle the heat. He is just lucky he had quality batters like Symonds and Hayden to rescue him after his cr#p effort, while sachin does not have the quality players to back up his innings.

whos complaning ravi?...i am just stating facts....ur (the blind sachin fans) hero-worshipping is pretty disgusting at times. Its an insult to true match winners like lara and ponting to be comapred to this guy
Don't act silly, if you think some of the comments here are insulting then no one's forcing you to read it. How is appreciating the 63 runs apparently the highest by an Indian batter this inning has got anything to do with Ponting and Lara??? Who cares how good is Lara or Ponting keeping in context this game? I'm sick and tired of hearing each time Tendulkar holds a bat he has to be better than Lara or Ponting. :mad:

Gambo, nobody denies his contribution in making 63. My problem is that as the standout batsman in the side, who was in and well set, he should have gone on for the team. He was in form, stroking the ball beautifully. Instead, he tried the cute upper cut, a high risk shot at the best of times, and completely inappropriate under the circumstances. Why would you do that, when you can play the ball as straight and as well as he can? So yes, he scored 63, but there was 163 for the taking. If he had only bothered. That's my grouse. Let's stop taking umbrage at the merest hint of criticism directed at the man.
Most here have pointed out it was a terrible shot he got out to but I can't see the connection with this inning to Ponting and Lara's greatness. Yes he faltered but that doesn't make him a bad batsman. It is not like he planned that shot, it just happens in a spur of moment. All it takes is about 3 seconds for a batter to get out and Tendulkar's choice of shot was a bad one indeed. I can't deny he is still not in the best of his form but at the same time I don't want to start denouncing him alone for the situation.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Dhondy, what exactly are you trying to say? That SRT does not live up to your/the public's expectations? If so, what ARE your expectations? Remember this guy is 34, and an Indian 34 is closer to a Caucasian and Afro-Caribbean 40. I know he had a massive brainfart this morning, but, hey, he is over his prime and there isnt anyone to replace him. Yet. The last bits of our ode befit the current Indian number 6 though!

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... You can never please some people. As I said before, almost every dismissal looks stupid right after it happens, does not only happen to SRT. And the usual load of BS is still abundant about the "weak" mind of SRT. I'll take that weak mind over the lion-heart or whatever, after all it carried the whole indian team for decade when the team was weaker and opposition bowling was much better.

Re: This is Sachin's Highest Score of 2006... Yay! Well said. 7 dodgy shots (dravid, jaffer, dhoni excluded) - think sehwag's waft, ganguly's pretence that he forgot his contacts, kumble and zaheer being stupid, sreesanth and vrv not having presence of mind; and all we focus on is the highest scorer in the innings! do we really expect him, at his age, to get a 100 everytime he goes out to bat?

Dhondy' date=' an Indian 34 is closer to a Caucasian and Afro-Caribbean 40.[/quote'] So true :lmao: I am trying to reverse that trend by being very fit. Tendulkar did his part. Tendu can't lift the whole team! There are 10 other losers in the team :help: :eew: