'Ishant is an asset, don't risk his future'

J P K

The sight of Ishant Sharma sprawled on a massage table for about 20 minutes in between his bowling spells on Tuesday, just 48 hours ahead of the first Test, didn't make for a pretty sight. It's normal for fast bowlers to rush to a physio for a quick pat down, but the otherwise routine visit became significant in the case of Ishant. The lanky fast bowler, it may be recalled, had been included in the squad without having played any competitive cricket after undergoing ankle surgery, and hence his fitness will remain under the scanner till he proves himself on the field. The Delhi pacer had told HT sometime back that he didn't see himself coming back until September, and was planning on taking complete rest. The selectors, however, picked him for the short New Zealand series, claiming that he had passed the fitness test and was ready to play. Surprise, surprise! The move took the bowler, too, by surprise, although he said he was anyway fit to play. "Yes, it came a bit early. I had planned on playing a few matches to get into shape. But I am happy with my overall condition. I have passed the fitness test. I bowled 15 overs and fielded for 90 overs one day. The very next day, I came back to bowl six overs. After that, I didn't feel any problem," Ishant told HT a few days back. Wrong call While the selectors and Ishant sounded satisfied with the call, not everyone is convinced though. Manoj Prabhakar, the former India bowler, lambasted the selectors. "They are playing with his career. It's just too risky to push him into playing without giving him a chance to check and prove his match fitness. I have suffered this injury during my playing days, and I can tell you it doesn't heal as quickly. Ishant is an asset to Indian cricket and needs to be taken care of," said Prabhakar. Sources told HT that selectors rushed Ishant's comeback as they had marked him, along with Zaheer Khan and Umesh Yadav, for Tests as there weren't enough bowlers around with their guile and pace. Be that as it may, the move, as Prabhakar pointed out, is not only 'risky' for the Delhi bowler, but also reflects poorly on India's fast bowling resources. It's bound to discourage other quicks as the decision reflects the selectors' lack of confidence in their abilities. "A few youngsters like Harshal Patel and Parwinder Awana look good. Make them play. You need to give them confidence, trust them and give them chance if you are to know how good they are," said Madan Lal, former India selector and coach. Sources close to the selection panel revealed that the idea behind recalling Ishant was to keep him with the team and help him get into groove for the tougher home series against England and Australia that follow the easier test against the Kiwis. "Even if Ishant is benched, he will be in good shape for the bigger challenges later this year," said the source. Going by that, it looks unlikely that the Delhi bowler will get a look-in in the first Test. "I am okay with him being in the squad, but players coming back from injury should play first class games. That is where you get tested," said Madan Lal. http://cricket.yahoo.com/news/ishant-asset-dont-risk-future-183000893.html

Injury or not' date=' I'm sick of Ishant Sharma. We've tried him, he's a failure. Time to move on.[/quote'] Yeah. First find a bowler can sustain himself to as many wickets as Ishant has taken. He may be rubbish for international standard but has done more than any current Indian bowler except Zak for us in tests.

How long will we keep protecting the likes of Yadav,Ishanth etc etc...Look at guys like Steyn,Morkel,Broad,Roach and a couple of seasons ago Gul-These guys used to play in all formats and were pretty consistent....By protecting these guys,hopefully we don't miss their peak.

Injury or not' date=' I'm sick of Ishant Sharma. We've tried him, he's a failure. Time to move on.[/quote'] You would like to see that but Im sure Dhoni is not gonna drop him. In fact he will be playing when we tour away and maybe also this home season if Zak or Umesh fail. Great to see Dhoni keep faith in players that actually have greater potential ability, like how he kept faith in Yuvi before World cup and Dravid after having a few average years. No way Ishant will be dropped. Haters gonna hate but good stuff from Dhoni. Rohit should not be forgotten either although he deserved to be dropped temporarily to make him know place is not to be taken for granted.
Yeah. First find a bowler can sustain himself to as many wickets as Ishant has taken. He may be rubbish for international standard but has done more than any current Indian bowler except Zak for us in tests.
That's because he's gotten so many games for doing nothing. 133 wickets at 37.87. That's the harsh truth.
You would like to see that but Im sure Dhoni is not gonna drop him. In fact he will be playing when we tour away and maybe also this home season if Zak or Umesh fail. Great to see Dhoni keep faith in players that actually have greater potential ability, like how he kept faith in Yuvi before World cup and Dravid after having a few average years. No way Ishant will be dropped. Haters gonna hate but good stuff from Dhoni. Rohit should not be forgotten either although he deserved to be dropped temporarily to make him know place is not to be taken for granted.
Yuvraj and Dravid have played for years before the Dhonut came along, and they were proven performers. No way was Dhoni going to turn around and go to South Africa, England, Australia without Dravid in the team. No way. Ishant Sharma on the other hand.....

The best thing to secure his future is to ask him to play the entire domestic season. Let him bowl a lot of overs and learn more about his bowling away from the spotlight. Send him to the A tours in between but do not pick him for the national side. The target should to be have him in a wicket taking form, more wiser and mature before we start our next phase of away tours 15 months later from SA.

Yuvraj and Dravid have played for years before the Dhonut came along, and they were proven performers. No way was Dhoni going to turn around and go to South Africa, England, Australia without Dravid in the team. No way. Ishant Sharma on the other hand.....
Its cause of his pace and height and inswingers, make him potentially much more dangerous than a Dinda. Dhoni won't drop him just cause of that potential, like Rohit was given a longer run than others this guy will get one to. Won't be dropped til he plays another test. So since he will play, lets hope he does well :two_thumbs_up:

The problem with armchair indian cricket fans is that they expect everyone to be a star from day one, and have no sense of player development. If you're going to keep hauling in new faces, condemning them for leaking runs or not getting wickets, and send them back to domestic, only to repeat the cycle again with other players, you clearly won't have any experienced bowlers and none of them are even going to be able to develop on the big stage. It took time for the likes of Steyn and others to hit their peak, there were times where they looked very ordinary as well.

The problem with armchair indian cricket fans is that they expect everyone to be a star from day one' date=' and have no sense of player development. [/quote'] Are you kidding? Ishant Sharma has been around for how long exactly? That's right.......FIVE YEARS. Averages 37. Failed in England. Failed in India. Failed in Australia. Failed in South Africa. Move on.
Are you kidding? Ishant Sharma has been around for how long exactly? That's right.......FIVE YEARS. Averages 37. Failed in England. Failed in India. Failed in Australia. Failed in South Africa. Move on.
Butttt he was carrying ankle injury and was unlucky, look at his capabilities from some select spells :--D