Why not 5 bowlers?

rather we play Irfan at 8 with Ashwin at 9.in place of a pacer.that would ensure we get 400 almost everytime.spinners do most of the work anyway thats only if he can last 5 days though
and who will get wickets? irfan cant get wickets on his own he can support we need bowlers like yadav and zack badly in tests
we already have very long tail after ashwin no one can bat dhoni cant bat abroad...so ur saying we go into matches with 2 openers who can play swing bowling a rookie no 3 ... a atg player who is near his end and virat kohli who still hasnt proved himself at test level.. and after tht ..irfan ,dhoni,ashwin ?
If there comes along a batsman at no 6,who could save the team if all the people above fail,then he should be in the team.Otherwise its better to groom Irfan.
and who will get wickets? irfan cant get wickets on his own he can support we need bowlers like yadav and zack badly in tests
our spinners will get wickets.like they do.only Zak can play as a seamer. I'm only talking of home games.have 6 bats+Dhoni+Irfan+ Ashwin n two spinners on a dustbowl

During Ganguly's captaincy we had mostly played 3 pace bowlers and a spinner (Harbhajan). But, at that time Harbhajan was bloody good and threatening. Also, it is not about Raina versus Irfan. It is about Raina versus all others. Would you play Irfan ahead of Rahane in India? Definitely not.

If there comes along a batsman at no 6' date='who could save the team if all the people above fail,then he should be in the team.Otherwise its better to groom Irfan.[/quote'] dude no 6 is very high! i can say this for no 7 or no 8 but genuine batsmen play at no 6 so this excuse wont work @lord...give umesh a proper run.. he even got wickets here :winky: we dont need third spinner ...these 2 can bowl needed overs.. on turners and in average indian tracks u do need 2 fast bowlers
During Ganguly's captaincy we had mostly played 3 pace bowlers and a spinner (Harbhajan). But, at that time Harbhajan was bloody good and threatening. Also, it is not about Raina versus Irfan. It is about Raina versus all others. Would you play Irfan ahead of Rahane in India? Definitely not.
this
dude no 6 is very high! i can say this for no 7 or no 8 but genuine batsmen play at no 6 so this excuse wont work @lord...give umesh a proper run.. he even got wickets here :winky: we dont need third spinner ...these 2 can bowl needed overs.. on turners and in average indian tracks u do need 2 fast bowlers
I dont see what he'll gain bowling on these dead tracks for seamers.it'll only hurt his confidence.he needs to play county or domestic in seaming tracks so that he can be ready wen we tour abroad.
The problem is the management seems to think of Rahane as strictly as a replacement opener. Of course on these wickets against kiwis,5 bowlers would seem superfluos but against better batting sides we will need someone to support the main bowlers The other alternative would be to ask Sehwag and Raina to focus a bit more on their bowling,or play Yuvraj(dont bash me:nervous:)
I dont see what he'll gain bowling on these dead tracks for seamers.it'll only hurt his confidence.he needs to play county or domestic in seaming tracks so that he can be ready wen we tour abroad.
what he will gain ? its our home buddy...he needs to learn how to get wickets here its not impossible ...more he bowls more he will improve i think many people will agree tht today for first time umesh yadav bowled with controlled plan.. im pretty sure he has all the skills needed to be good test bowler even at home
The problem is the management seems to think of Rahane as strictly as a replacement opener. Of course on these wickets against kiwis,5 bowlers would seem superfluos but against better batting sides we will need someone to support the main bowlers The other alternative would be to ask Sehwag and Raina to focus a bit more on their bowling,or play Yuvraj(dont bash me:nervous:)
No Gauti, You will never have a fifth bowler in good use unless you have someone like Kallis. It is better to think of an Ashwin as an all-rounder than get Irfan to play especially in SC conditions. Overseas, you have got a point.

Few days back someone wanted Jadeja in the test team when he was having great time against English batsmen and and since then....hope this thread doesn't have the same effect on Irfan. :P I think he needs to get better with the ball to be in the test team as good as any frontline seamer. Coz his batting at no. 6-7 doesn't inspire much confidence when we have fragile batting line up filled with rookies and out of form batsmen.

what he will gain ? its our home buddy...he needs to learn how to get wickets here its not impossible ...more he bowls more he will improve i think many people will agree tht today for first time umesh yadav bowled with controlled plan.. im pretty sure he has all the skills needed to be good test bowler even at home
yeah I'm not doubting him.but with spinners on he really would bowl only few overs ,that too as support bowler. maybe he can take over once Zak retires,but for now,an additional bowling allrounder like Irfan seems a better option for me. also he can learn to take wickets at home even in Ranjis.why wait a test spot.the team comes before him.
Few days back someone wanted Jadeja in the test team when he was having great time against English batsmen and and since then....hope this thread doesn't have the same effect on Irfan. :P I think he needs to get better with the ball to be in the test team as good as any frontline seamer. Coz his batting at no. 6-7 doesn't inspire much confidence when we have fragile batting line up filled with rookies and out of form batsmen.
u summed up perfectly what i said thnx:two_thumbs_up:
yeah I'm not doubting him.but with spinners on he really would bowl only few overs ,that too as support bowler. maybe he can take over once Zak retires,but for now,an additional bowling allrounder like Irfan seems a better option for me. also he can learn to take wickets at home even in Ranjis.why wait a test spot.the team comes before him.
with irfan in team we will be left with only 3 test class bowlers.. wht good will extra 20 runs do if u cant get 20 wickets? :sad: not everyday ashwin will pick 12 wickets,make no mistake about it yadav got wickets in even in this match why do u want to fix something which aint broken ?:nervous:
with irfan in team we will be left with only 3 test class bowlers.. wht good will extra 20 runs do if u cant get 20 wickets? :sad: not everyday ashwin will pick 12 wickets,make no mistake about it yadav got wickets in even in this match why do u want to fix something which aint broken ?:nervous:
lol its not like Yadav will run thru a side on these pitches,the max he do is 1-2 wickets or tailenders.even Irfan can do that.I'm not sure 1-2 wickets per match is good for his confidence anyway. in this match both his wickets were with attacking shots.n its NZ.Aus,Eng are gonna hammer him too. instead he can go on A tours n learn how to take wickets in foreign conditions,get more confidence n be ready wen we tour abroad.while we beat opposition wit our spinners n long batting lineup.