'Hitler' shop upsets Jewish community, others in Ahmedabad

1983-2011

AHMEDABAD: Almost a week ahead of the Israeli consulate visit to Gujarat to sign business and other agreements, a queer clothing outlet at Vastrapur called 'Hitler' has upset residents and the small Jewish community here. The proprietors of the shop, however, do not find the name objectionable as they claim it is a 'nickname given to one of the proprietors' grandfather. Proprietor of the shop Rajesh Shah claims innocence. "We had put up a cloth banner for over a month saying 'Hitler opening shortly', no one objected to the name then," he said. "Hitler was a nickname given to my business partner Manish Chandani's grandfather because of his strict nature. Frankly, till the time we applied for the trademark permission, I had only heard that Hitler was a strict man. It was only recently that we read about Hitler on the internet. We have spent Rs 40,000 on the banner, couple of other thousand on visiting cards and branding activity. We have run out of money now. We are willing to change the name if we are compensated for the board." "In the city of Mahatma Gandhi and non-violence, how can anyone celebrate a person like Hitler who is known to have murdered millions of unarmed ordinary civilians? We as a community had represented our concerns to the proprietors and we do not think they agree with us," said Nikitin Contractor, convener of the Friends of Israel organization from Vadodara. He added, "Youngsters need to be told of the atrocities that Hitler committed and the millions who were killed in gas chambers more than 70 years ago." Siddharth Mulani, a resident who lives near the shop told TOI, "I was wondering if the shop is registered with the commercial tax department and if it is registered, does the government allow such brand names, especially when we have diplomatic ties with Israel. The youngsters could have kept 'Che Guevara' or 'Churchill' as brand names, they too are cult figures and area celebrated by youngsters throughout the world." A member of the Jewish community, who visited the shop on Sunday, said," The proprietors knew what the name meant and what Hitler stood for. They had researched well, right from the dress the dictator wore to his cufflinks. We had suggested a separate design, but the proprietors claimed that the name brings good business since its launch a week back." http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-08-27/ahmedabad/33424065_1_hitler-nikitin-contractor-shop

If you do not like the business/name etc. don't buy' date=' it will die it's natural course. I see nothing wrong with the name.[/quote'] Yea, lets have a shop named after Ghazni and see if there is no uproar. This is the same bloke who destroyed the Somnath temple and killed some 50, 000 people who tried to defend it. The fact that Hitler is looked up as some sort of hero - his Mein Kampf book is being sold freely in India - is a bloody disgrace.

This Mulani fella isn't very bright. Hes okay with Churchill as a shop name but not Hitler. The same Churchill that was responsible for 4 million bengali deaths and had this to say about us Heathens: "They are beastly people with a beastly religion". Bravo Mr Chewtiya.

Yea, lets have a shop named after Ghazni and see if there is no uproar. This is the same bloke who destroyed the Somnath temple and killed some 50, 000 people who tried to defend it. The fact that Hitler is looked up as some sort of hero - his Mein Kampf book is being sold freely in India - is a bloody disgrace.[/QUOTE] Why always targeting India? Im sure it would be selling everywhere.

Yea' date= lets have a shop named after Ghazni and see if there is no uproar. This is the same bloke who destroyed the Somnath temple and killed some 50, 000 people who tried to defend it. The fact that Hitler is looked up as some sort of hero - his Mein Kampf book is being sold freely in India - is a bloody disgrace.
I am sure if I google now, I will get stores named Ghazni located in India.

Yea, lets have a shop named after Ghazni and see if there is no uproar. This is the same bloke who destroyed the Somnath temple and killed some 50, 000 people who tried to defend it. The fact that Hitler is looked up as some sort of hero - his Mein Kampf book is being sold freely in India - is a bloody disgrace.
Sree, Who are me and you to judge whom people want to make heroes out of? I mean it's not like the Indian government is conferring Bharat Ratna on Hitler. Someone has named a bloody shop after his name. The person who is naming the shop is not going around and killing people. FYI, I know of shops named Ghazni as well! What is the big deal in naming a shop? Why do we want to dictate what others want to do? If our thoughts/beliefs are so righteous, they will triumph the ones who are not.
My point is that it shouldn't be sold anywhere! I would say the same if it was being sold in Australia!
I have not read it. Does it incite hate? If so, I agree with you. If not, let it sell. People should be allowed to make decisions for themselves & bear the responsibility for their own actions.

If you do not like the business/name etc. don't buy' date=' it will die it's natural course. I see nothing wrong with the name.[/quote'] It wont die a natural death because the people hurt by the branding are in minority. That does not mean that we should completely overlook the minority's sentiments. The Jews are in minority in India, but being a secular country, we have to address the issues sensitive to them.

It wont die a natural death because the people hurt by the branding are in minority. That does not mean that we should completely overlook the minority's sentiments. The Jews are in minority in India' date=' but being a secular country, we have to address the issues sensitive to them.[/quote'] DK, The problem is where do you stop? I see that in India - every time the hour clock goes from 12 to 1, there's a "sentiment" cry. It is a god damn cloth shop named after a dubious personality. The chief minister of the state of Gujarat thinks Hitler is a great orator. Why is it binary - 0/1? :dontknow: Take the good throw out the bad. If indeed the sale of the T-shirts are upsetting the Jews due to anti-semitism displayed on the T-shirts by all means interrupt. Currently, it's pure precognition. The shop keeper is innocent unless prove guilty.

Sree' date=' Who are me and you to judge whom people want to make heroes out of? I mean it's not like the Indian government is conferring Bharat Ratna on Hitler. Someone has named a bloody shop after his name. The person who is naming the shop is not going around and killing people.[/quote'] Hmmm, lets see. This Hitler fellow invaded other countries, enslaved people in concentration camps, carried out a systematic genocide against homosexuals/disabled/certain ethnic groups amongst other unspeakable acts - You seriously see nothing wrong in naming a shop after this person? Seriously? Nothing wrong in places named after this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmud_of_Ghazni ?

So will Sree_India rant against OZLand now? :woot:
Mein Kampf is not even banned in Germany, but in his eagerness to call India a disgrace sree_Oz forgot to check his nearest bookstore or library for a copy of Mein Kampf or the fact that is freely available in most western countries.

Wow! I was wondering if this would ever blow up just a few weeks back. I saw a guy in the hotel wearing a T-shirt with Hitler written in big letters on the back. Figured he was gujju because the guy with him was speaking in the language. I've never seen something like this before. Also, re above discussion, read somewhere in a publication outside India that mein kampf's biggest market is India.

Mein Kampf is not even banned in Germany' date=' but in his eagerness to call India a disgrace sree_Oz forgot to check his nearest bookstore or library for a copy of Mein Kampf or the fact that is freely available in most western countries.[/quote'] Talking out of your rectum again? :laugh: Mein Kampf = Banned in Australia! Here, read this: http://www.ourcivilisation.com/cooray/btof/chap212.htm Since you are so sure it is LEGALLY available in Australia, why don't you go to the nearest bookstore and see if you can get me a copy? :fishing: